PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Southwest Style

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2012, 4:17 PM
This beautiful piece of Ambrosia Maple was given to me by fellow Creeker Kurt Barker when he stopped in for a visit last year. Thanks Kurt!! I roughed the piece out, put some CA on some of the cracks and then soaked it in DNA.

Here are a few photos of when I roughed the piece out back in Feb 2011.
219135 219136 219137
219138 219139 219140

Ambrosia Maple, 11.5” diameter x 5.75” high, sanded to 400 grit and was given several coats of Minwax wipe-on poly. Once the finish was cured, I rubbed the form out using #0000 steel wool so it has a very silky smooth feel to it but with a minimal sheen. I did give it a light coat of Renaissance wax just because I like using the stuff!

This is the finished result.
219141 219142

As always, your opinions, comments and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!

mike ash
01-09-2012, 4:35 PM
Nice form and wood Steve. I really like the coloring of that ambrosia maple. Tell me about what you did to the inside!

Thanks, Mike

Chris Studley
01-09-2012, 4:39 PM
That is cool...

the only issue I have is really getting a grip on the shape of the top. The coloring of the wood and the picture seem to conspire to make it appear as though the top is warped or uneven. It makes it hard to distinguish how much "concave" there is from the widest portion to the opening or it is about straight until right before the opening where it "turns up"

There had to be a lot of shavings from hollowing that eh?

Very Nice.

Jim Burr
01-09-2012, 4:40 PM
I sure do like the size Steve..and I'm glad you mentioned the date of the pic's...I thought your Jet was collecting sawdust, the lonely way! The opening looks correct for a SW style and the finish is spot on as always!!

John Keeton
01-09-2012, 4:44 PM
Wow, that Ambrosia and heartwood really combine for some great color!! Very nice form, and larger than some of your prior turnings from the old Jet days. I am disappointed that we don't have pics of it on the Beauty!

Excellent work, Steve!!

David E Keller
01-09-2012, 5:54 PM
That's nice! I remember the rough out post now that you've shown the photos again. With an opening that size, I'm guessing you had to do a bit of sanding on the inside of that piece.

Hayes Rutherford
01-09-2012, 6:33 PM
Steve, my favorite rough out picture is the bottom left of the heart wood toward the headstock so I can't help but wonder what the result would have been if the heart was at the bottom and the splashes of color were at the top. But all looks good and I may think different about the color if I viewed the piece from a more overhead view.

Mike Tilley
01-09-2012, 6:36 PM
Nice looking really like the southwest look

Harvey Ghesser
01-09-2012, 6:38 PM
Nice form and wood, Steve. I've got a hollowing rig on order and I can only wish that my forms come out half as nice!

David Dobbs
01-09-2012, 7:08 PM
Is that a homemade too rest?

David DeCristoforo
01-09-2012, 7:19 PM
All thumbs up on this one, Steve. Sweet in every respect...

John W Dixon
01-09-2012, 7:49 PM
Looks really nice Steve. I just love Ambrosia and this one sure is great. When you rough out a hollow form do you hollow to a 1 inch thickness similar to a bowl or did you rough out the shape and soak it solid?

Fred Perreault
01-09-2012, 8:05 PM
Steve, great wood and an instructive post......

Fred

Jamie Donaldson
01-09-2012, 8:19 PM
Nicely done Steve, but I would rather have seen a bit better "swoop" up to define the top opening. Have you noticed how often Ambrosia has cracked in the area of the spalting, as in the first image of this series? I see that frequently, and don't understand why?

Roger Chandler
01-09-2012, 8:36 PM
Elegant simplicity............nice work Steve!

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2012, 8:58 PM
Beautiful piece, wood and form Steve. Love the color of the heartwood and the ambrosia.

Curt Fuller
01-09-2012, 9:02 PM
Another beautiful SS Southwest form Steve! The wood makes it even that much better. I like the soft finish too.

Pete Jordan
01-09-2012, 9:06 PM
I really like it, Steve!

Nice wood too.

Cory Norgart
01-09-2012, 9:41 PM
Steve, you never stop amazing me.... Sweet looking wood and I really like the form. Top Notch... The lathe looks pretty nice too...

Steve Schlumpf
01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice form and wood Steve. I really like the coloring of that ambrosia maple. Tell me about what you did to the inside!

Mike, the inside was sanded to 220 grit. Just enough to be smooth to the touch and yet course enough to suck in a couple of coats of poly and not leave a sheen.

the only issue I have is really getting a grip on the shape of the top. The coloring of the wood and the picture seem to conspire to make it appear as though the top is warped or uneven. It makes it hard to distinguish how much "concave" there is from the widest portion to the opening or it is about straight until right before the opening where it "turns up"

There had to be a lot of shavings from hollowing that eh?

Chris - the top does have a slight curve - intentionally - and yes, the wood and photo create an optical illusion of it being warped. As far as the shavings, it is surprising how many you can create with a form this size!

Wow, that Ambrosia and heartwood really combine for some great color!! Very nice form, and larger than some of your prior turnings from the old Jet days. I am disappointed that we don't have pics of it on the Beauty!!

Sorry about that John! I was so into the turning aspect that I never even gave it a thought!

Steve, my favorite rough out picture is the bottom left of the heart wood toward the headstock so I can't help but wonder what the result would have been if the heart was at the bottom and the splashes of color were at the top. But all looks good and I may think different about the color if I viewed the piece from a more overhead view.

Hayes - it is always a judgement call when you go to orient the wood. The one main thing I try to do is make sure the majority of the interesting grain or color is located on the top where it can be seen. Nothing worse than turning a really nice form - only to find the best wood is around the foot!!

Iis that a homemade too rest?

David - that is one of Randy Privett's Monster (http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=276&category_id=66) tool rests.

When you rough out a hollow form do you hollow to a 1 inch thickness similar to a bowl or did you rough out the shape and soak it solid?

John - I turn the form (and hollow it) to 10% thickness of the final diameter. That will hopefully give me enough wood to re-turn the form once dry.

I would rather have seen a bit better "swoop" up to define the top opening. Have you noticed how often Ambrosia has cracked in the area of the spalting, as in the first image of this series? I see that frequently, and don't understand why?

Jamie - I understand your point on the upper curve to the opening and that is one of those areas that I play with on the different forms. So far, I find I prefer a slight curve up to a small lip area but it is always subject to change on the next one. Also, this is the first big piece of Ambrosia that I have turned and I did notice the checks when roughing it out. Didn't know it was a common problem with this type of wood.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your input!

Dan Forman
01-09-2012, 10:04 PM
A beauty - like the way the staining wraps around the form.

Dan

Scott Hackler
01-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Very nice Steve. I love working with ambrosia maple and I bet this was a ton of fun to turn. It is a shame to not have a Beauty picture in this thread though! :)

charlie knighton
01-09-2012, 10:39 PM
very nice, Steve, close to maxing out the jet, looking forward to seeing the other lathe in action

David Dobbs
01-09-2012, 11:52 PM
thanks Steve............ nice piece

Kathy Marshall
01-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Beautiful piece Steve! I like the form, the wood sure is purdy and I like the soft finish.

Ron Bontz
01-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Oh c-mon now. Did you really finish that form on your old Jet? Orrrrrrr, perhaps finish that American beauty on an American Beauty.:D Beautiful as always.

Eric Gourieux
01-10-2012, 12:27 AM
I really like the form and soft finish. Im curious about the faceplate. It appears that there are screws visible between the rough form and the faceplate. Can you enlighten me? I'm referring to pic#1

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2012, 7:13 AM
Eric - I use the chuck plate that was designed by Creeker Jerry Marcantel. It is quick, easy to use and allows me to rotate the orientation of the wood when roughing it. Jerry wrote an article on what it is and how to make your own. Check it out here: Chuck Plate (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content.php?130-Review-Jerry-Marcantel%E2%80%99s-Chuck-Plate)

Baxter Smith
01-10-2012, 8:54 AM
Very nice form and wood Steve. It surprised me at first glance that you oriented the form this way. But after thinking about it for a moment, it allowed for a much bigger turning and the darker colors all around the opening are very attractive. Reminds me a of a paint can that has a lot of drips. Some pieces I have seen dyed that look like that, I don't find especially appealing. This one I do. Maybe because I know it is natural.

Doug W Swanson
01-10-2012, 9:13 AM
Beautiful piece, Steve! I know it's an illusion but it almost looks like the opening of off to one side a little....

Rob Cunningham
01-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Beautiful form and finish Steve.

Russell Eaton
01-10-2012, 1:59 PM
Now that looks just like what we are use to seeing from you. Very nice.