PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Shenhui goes up by $600 whilst on the ship

john banks
01-09-2012, 3:43 PM
We have been emailed the bill of lading by the shipping agent. The volume is 80% greater (5.87 m^3), the weight is 32% greater (500kg) and there are two packages not one. So we have $600 extra shipping cost than we were expecting based on the size and weight on the proforma invoice.

I'll try and find out the reason for the discrepancy as the extra $600 is rather unwelcome to say the least.

We have the usual spares except for spare LCD and motherboard, and the 100W tubes must weight a little more than 80W, otherwise it seems someone has got their math(s) wrong.

Khalid Nazim
01-09-2012, 4:56 PM
I also had a similar situation, but I was sort of prepared based on what others had said about shipments costs to be a bit higher than what Shenhui tells you. However, we need to send them a strong message that they should be more accurate and aware of shipping costs.

matthew knott
01-09-2012, 5:10 PM
Its not unusual but bloody anoying, we got a used machine from mexico and got hit with £198 extra charge beacause it was bigger/heavier than we where told, Shenhui prices seem to low for shipping compared to independent quotes we got, out of interest what did the quote you for shipping? Youve got the VAT/duty/clearing agent fun to come. New one we found out about (UK) is that we could not pay the duty it has to come from an approved account, so we had to use our shippers and of course they charge for the privilage! TBH it all goes away and you open your box and whats inside is what you expected:)

Kim Vellore
01-09-2012, 11:26 PM
it may have nothing to do with the person shipping but the shipping company itself, I had paid 0ver $1500 in all kinds of weird fees because the ship had to unload at another port stay a day and load back and it was in storage here for a couple of days, it was like a chain of scums I had to pay off for them to release my shipment. It had loading unloading fee storage fee transportation fee, I never asked them to load or unload and you cant question any because it was in a different country. This happens when the lowest cost option is selected for shipment. Got to go with a reputed shipper which is more expensive but you dont pay the extras. You have to inform the shipper not to use this company for their shipment in the future.

Kim

matthew knott
01-10-2012, 5:14 AM
Its like you hand over your wallet and say "here, help yourself and give me back what you dont need". What i cant work out is anywhere in the world you can buy cheap chinese tat for next to nothing, they have to ship that --- here and it cant cost them hardly anything to ship as they are selling it for almost zero anyway. You can fit 7000 containers on a large ship, why is it so expensive to ship a laser from china??

Rodne Gold
01-10-2012, 5:57 AM
It cost me round 2k from door to door for a 1280x800 and a 600 x900 , To Cape Town , South Africa. I used a local shipper with agents in China , got a FOB price from shenui and let the agents do the rest. Was painless but perhaps a bit pricey. Even with high shipping costs , it's still a bargain.

john banks
01-10-2012, 6:40 AM
Thanks. The shipping quote is about £800 exc tax, so about $1250. This includes the sea freight, land freight to our door, various fees to pay other fees/taxes, taxes on the fees to pay the taxes etc ;) but not the VAT and duty on the shipping and machine itself.

So not too bad, but just when we thought we had all the information, the goalposts move and as you say you just open your wallet.

Shenhui underestimated because of having to package the 100W tubes outwith the main machine crate, couldn't fit compressor in, that sort of thing.

I do think if they smoothed out the flow of information with "Western" customers it would all be a lot easier. A simple web interface where you can select a "Rodney spec" package with all the attention to detail already included that you otherwise have to go through with each Shenhui agent when you order. A few simple pages of info proof-read by a "Westerner" with FAQs etc. It would probably save them money and enhance their reputation. Hoping the machine will all be worth it.

john banks
01-10-2012, 6:55 AM
I sent them this feedback:

"Feedback I read from other users on forums is that they love your machines (this was why we ordered from you!), but the ordering process and shipping details could be easier/smoother/more accurate, and that information is not always consistent between those ordering from different countries going through you, Pascal, Blanca. I know Mr Rodney Gold has been making some suggestions to your company about how you can offer a spec from the start that covers the upgrades that he recommends but that have to be discussed at length as we did with you up to the point of ordering. A smoother flow of information would further enhance your reputation in the eyes of Western buyers.

When a car is configured on line, the manufacturer can show you the prices of all the options, pictures, dimensions, weights, specifications. It could automatically produce invoices, orders etc. It could be very slick and save your company time and money. It would have saved you and I most of the emails we had to try out different specs and see how it affected pricing. Maybe there is a fear that your competitors find out too much information that way, but I think it would take a lead in the market and encourage more people to buy from you.

This is all said constructively and positively. So much of the profit that Chinese companies could make is taken up by the Western distributors because they make it easier and feel safer. If you and other Chinese companies did this final polishing directly and improve the flow of information it could be very good for you."

Ross Moshinsky
01-10-2012, 8:05 AM
There is no way they should have packed the items into a separate crate. That's unacceptable. They should have just put everything in a crate for a machine the next size up and rejigged as necessary. They made a $50 problem a $600 problem. That would make me pretty upset.

Uros Sovilj
01-10-2012, 8:33 AM
Hi
Forward agents are thief by their professions. They will put 500% on basic price regardless that shipping business was one most affected by economic crises. All over the world shipping companies are closing their business but no, they will still ripping you off with enormous prices.
When I was importing my machine first price for shipping was 1280 usd for 360kg. I was shocked. I then called some more companies and price went slowly down. Then I have done some research on net in public libraries on their business condition and choose two that have poor business results and send them a mail.
After few days of negotiating I was quote for door to door service with insurance for 240 usd.
I live in Slovenia. It's in EU between Italy and Austria.
They did all import procedures in my name for 60 usd. I get machine offloaded in my yard.

My point is: squeeze them for price. They have a lot of space to negotiate just be consistent and annoying and find someone that NEED money.
Regards

john banks
01-10-2012, 8:48 AM
Initial quote from this shipping agent was good based on the information we provided (that we had been provided by the supplier). Now the supplier has made it larger and heavier, the shippers revised once it is en-route so we can't do anything about it, and their revision isn't awful considering the error in the original weight and size, but a nasty surprise like it seems is common with importing.

Marc Pod
01-10-2012, 8:53 AM
Shipping Door to door for my Shenhui with all taxes/dutys included was 270 Eur. Shipping FOB Ningbo to Koper was only 36Eur vaat inc all other are taxes and duties.

Martin Coetzee
02-05-2012, 8:37 AM
I do think if they smoothed out the flow of information with "Western" customers it would all be a lot easier. A simple web interface where you can select a "Rodney spec" package with all the attention to detail already included that you otherwise have to go through with each Shenhui agent when you order. A few simple pages of info proof-read by a "Westerner" with FAQs etc. It would probably save them money and enhance their reputation. Hoping the machine will all be worth it.This is exactly what I did....................... I ordered as "per Rodney spec" and all turned out well. So it just proves that it helps to first speak to the people that has gone thru the mill before.

john banks
02-05-2012, 12:31 PM
The second pallet had a really heavy/noisy/unearthed compressor and leaking filter which are no better than a 500W aquarium compressor for cutting performance or flaming on 4mm hardwood as far as I can tell, both are fine. So anyone ordering should consider forgetting the weight of these items.

Bill Cunningham
02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I've never imported any machinery, but i'm in the middle of importing glassware from China. I requested and got 'CIF Toronto' shipping and pay through a escrow service. 'When it hits Toronto, I pay the landing charge ($125), the brokerage fee, and trucking 60 miles or so to my shop, and then 5% GST on all which I can reclaim as a tax credit. The CIF (cost, insurance,freight paid by the shipper/supplier) may cost a bit more. but Its guaranteed to land in Toronto with the only costs being the local ones, and I don't have to run around trying to arrange everything before hand. The nice part is even after all this and I have my glass, it costs me 40% less than buying the very same glassware from my previous supplier, a importer in Montreal.

Bryan Markovich
02-10-2012, 9:16 PM
What is the best way to find a reputable shipping agent?

Rich Harman
02-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Call around. I use ASA Brokers, very easy process. My previous broker was the opposite, made everything much more complex than necessary.

Bryan Markovich
02-10-2012, 10:58 PM
Call around. I use ASA Brokers, very easy process. My previous broker was the opposite, made everything much more complex than necessary.
Rich, thanks for the response. Can any broker work with Shenhui (or more generally, any laser supplier) or do they only work with certain people? At what point do the brokers come into the process?

Rich Harman
02-11-2012, 2:23 AM
You can contact a broker now. They can arrange everything except actually ordering the laser. Shenhui could care less who picks up the machine from them. My broker arranged for all the shipping. They arranged for it to be picked up from the factory, trucked to the sea port, put on the boat to Canada, unloaded and trucked to Seattle, cleared customs (including X-ray) and finally, delivered to my door. All for well under $1,000.