PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Material Question

Don Williams Michigan
01-09-2012, 3:12 PM
Rowmark used to sell a product called "Spectrum Lights" which was a very thin material in several colors with an adhesive backing. They now have only the laser lights which do not have the red and blue colors I need. The material will not be engraved but vector cut in distinct shapes on a wooden background. It is for an indoor only application.

Can anyone make a suggestion for a substitute material? It needs to be vector cut on wood. Paint fill is not an option for the volume of pieces that I have to do.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

Tony Lenkic
01-09-2012, 3:52 PM
Don, it is the same product. Rowmark took over Spectrum operation.

Martin Boekers
01-09-2012, 5:02 PM
You have a plotter/cutter, is there a thicker vinyl that might work? You maybe able to print a color you need on the vinyl
if it prints to.

Don Williams Michigan
01-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Martin,

I have a plotter cutter but what I used the Spectrum lights for was to apply it to the wooden substrate, vector cut the pattern on the laser, and then remove the excess material. This gave me perfect placement.

I specifically need red and blue colored material.

Michael Hunter
01-10-2012, 5:44 AM
I haven't found a satisfactory replacement for the red and blue Lights, but make do with Romark Flexicolour with double-sided tape stuck to the back.

Clearly Spectrum were selling to all the material manufacturers, as red and blue disappeared simultaneously from all the brands.

Michael Fuller
01-10-2012, 1:37 PM
Have you tried the laser foil from laser bits?

Rodne Gold
01-10-2012, 2:48 PM
Why niot use much cheaper calendered (thicker than cast) sign vinyl , laser kiss cut it and weed the bits you dont want. You can get it virtually in every colour and surface finish.

Don Williams Michigan
01-10-2012, 3:23 PM
Rodne,

I have a full supply of sign vinyl but have been worried about damaging the laser? I would have to run a lot of it to meet the customers requirements.
When you refer to kiss cut exactly what type of settings are you using?

Do you think I could kiss cut a couple hundred pieces without damaging the laser?

Thanks and I appreciate the input!

Martin Boekers
01-10-2012, 3:51 PM
There is laserable vinyl out there limited colors though. Check with these guys;

www.innotape.com/productsbyindustry/laser.php (http://www.innotape.com/productsbyindustry/laser.php)

Marty

Sotos Patistas
01-10-2012, 3:58 PM
Have you thought to try Rowmark's 1/32" ADA substrate? It comes in red and blue, can be ordered with adhesive, and is able to be cut then weeded in the manner you describe.

Just a thought.

Larry Bratton
01-10-2012, 9:27 PM
Don,
You can cut the stuff fast and with low power. I did some not long ago, a bunch of those pink ribbon things that are for cancer awareness, and best I recall it was like 10 power -100 speed. That stuff hasn't got enough PVC in it to show up when burned using the Bilstein test (heated copper wire test). If you have good exhaust I wouldn't worry about it much.

Don Williams Michigan
01-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Martin,

The Innotec product looks perfect and I am going to contact them tomorrow. To everyone else that took the time to give advice I truly appreciate it. Thank you.

Mike Null
01-11-2012, 6:31 AM
I'd use the vinyl and vector it as needed. That small amount won't hurt your machine.