PDA

View Full Version : Just started a new Pygmy Coho HI kayak kit (pictures posted)

Sparky Paessler
01-09-2012, 2:36 PM
Well I have had the kit for four years and this Saturday I finally started on a Pygmy Coho HI kayak kit. This is a stich and glue type kit and will be my second kayak to build. The first was a CLC Chesapeake 17'. I have the parts for one side glued together and will start on the other side tonight. I am taking pictures as I go and will post them.

Sparky Paessler
01-10-2012, 8:29 AM
Here are the Pictures of the kit and the beginning of assembly. The hull is made up of 12 strips each which is made up of three pieces that have to be glued together.

Mac McQuinn
01-10-2012, 7:31 PM
Looks like a great winter project. A couple guys & I built a Pygmy Golden Eye from scratch about 13 years ago, Great people to deal with and excellent plans. What are you using for epoxy?
Good luck,
Mac

Sparky Paessler
01-10-2012, 9:23 PM
I'm using the System Three epoxy that came with the kit. Had a little crystallization in the bottom from sitting so long but after heating it a little (per the instructions) it cleared up and seems to be working great. Got the rest of the strips joined tonight so tomorrow night it is on to drilling the stiching holes.

Mac McQuinn
01-11-2012, 5:49 PM
Sparky,
Thanks for the info. Must be warm in TN or you have a source of heat to kick off the epoxy.

Have fun,
Mac

I'm using the System Three epoxy that came with the kit. Had a little crystallization in the bottom from sitting so long but after heating it a little (per the instructions) it cleared up and seems to be working great. Got the rest of the strips joined tonight so tomorrow night it is on to drilling the stiching holes.

carl zietz
01-18-2012, 10:13 PM
sparky,
looking forward to the story and photos, especially since I have been considering a pygmy kit

regards

Carl

Don Nicholas
01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
The attached photos are some demo Pigmy Kayaks that were at the Pt Townsand Wooden Boat Festival. Pt townsand is the home of Pigmy. I live 1.5 hrs from there and try to make the show each year.

Sparky Paessler
01-19-2012, 7:58 AM
Well I have made some progress. I almot have the hull stiched all together. Should finish up tonight. Then it's on to gluing. Here are some pictures of the progress.

Sparky Paessler
01-23-2012, 8:06 AM
got the hull sanded and sealed. will start with the cloth tonight.

Mac McQuinn
01-23-2012, 5:33 PM
Sparky,
Looks Great, nice work.
It appears you'll be ready to get it wet once spring arrives.
Mac

Gary Kvasnicka
01-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Looking good Sparky! I see your Nova DVR is collecting boat building dust just like mine.

Sparky Paessler
01-31-2012, 11:04 AM
started the glue up on the deck.

Mac McQuinn
02-09-2012, 4:30 PM
Sparky,
Any progress to report?

Mac

started the glue up on the deck.

jamie shard
02-15-2012, 9:44 AM
Another thank you for posting this build! Looking good :)