PDA

View Full Version : Isn't she a <cough> BEAUTY?!!!

Dan Hintz
01-09-2012, 2:31 PM
Tony D.M. is going to roll his eyes, Mike C. is going to accuse me once again of being a tool hoarder, and Peter E. is getting a free case of his favorite beer for cluing me in on the deal.

I just put down an "It's mine!" request for a fully-loaded Robust American Beauty :D:D:D:D:D

It's the extended bed, 3HP with tilt-away/gas shock, includes the #2MT and #3MT tailstock, along with the caster kit and jack. That's a $9k package, though not what I paid for it. The unit is (was?) owned by none other than Bill Grumbine himself, and I personally used this lathe during a 2-day one-on-one teaching session with him in his workshop. The experience was everything you could hope for from such a great guy, and I was pretty enamored with the Robust... I was still pretty green to turning at that point, however, so justifying such a purchase would have proven difficult at the time. I've turned enough now to know it's what I have a passion for (if not necessarily the skill to go with it).

Looks like I'll be listing a never-used Jet 1642 in the classifieds here shortly...

John Keeton
01-09-2012, 2:42 PM
WHOAH!!!!!! Didn't see that one coming!!! A big congrats, and hopefully, it will have a big, permanent, autograph from Grumbine on the end that doesn't see much abuse! That would have to add to the value.

Scott Hackler
01-09-2012, 2:47 PM
+1 to John's comment to have Bill sign the lathe! That would be a cool feature to prove it's prior life! A big congrats from me. If I had the money, I'ld have one too.

Roger Chandler
01-09-2012, 2:48 PM
Congratulations Dan.................I think that is one nice machine.............

Tim Rinehart
01-09-2012, 3:01 PM
That's Awesome! I think it's actually a bit cooler given it's history. You'll have to dig up a handful of the items Bill made on it and hang in your ...ahem, studio, as a reminder of the work that has come off that particular lathe.
Congrats!!!
By extended bed...just how long is it? Is that like double the normal, i.e around 6ft or so?

Dan Forman
01-09-2012, 3:08 PM
Sounds like quite the outfit, use it in good health!

Dan

Mike Cruz
01-09-2012, 3:14 PM
Wow, Dan, with huge swing, imagine the pens you'll be able to turn! ;)

Don't even THINK about calling me to help you carry that monster down that hill and into your basement, either!!!! :eek: What were you thinking? :D

Does this mean that you are going to start turning things? :rolleyes:

Dan Hintz
01-09-2012, 3:21 PM
By extended bed...just how long is it? Is that like double the normal, i.e around 6ft or so?
The standard setup is a 28" bed, and this one comes with the 24" extension, for a total 52" bed length. This unit actually works out well for me as I don't run long spindle stock, so I can remove the extension and keep the lathe in a smaller space than my Jet is currently occupying.

Does this mean that you are going to start turning things? :rolleyes:
I was so disappointed in my performance last evening, Mike, I whined to Amy about it for quite a while. This morning I decided to start stretching every morning and every night to try and loosen up my muscles so I don't keep running into this issue with lack of flexibility. Twisting my hip this morning was bringing tears to my eyes, but I powered through it. I'm hoping the extra flexibility will also give me the added balance I seem to be missing (and so desperately need).

Mike Cruz
01-09-2012, 3:24 PM
That is a...step...in the right direction, Dan. Keep it up.

Alan Zenreich
01-09-2012, 3:24 PM
Dan, glad it was you. I was on the phone with Bill while you were trying to get through to him. My wife Lauren might send you flowers for buying the lathe from Bill before I could talk to her about it!

David E Keller
01-09-2012, 3:26 PM
Congrats on the 'new' lathe!

Is it just me, or does Bernie's picture keep appearing in a whole bunch of posts? In Dan's initial post above, right after the words 'American Beauty' there are about a half dozen photos of Bernie... For a minute, I thought Dan had bought Bernie!

Dan Hintz
01-09-2012, 3:27 PM
Dan, glad it was you. I was on the phone with Bill while you were trying to get through to him. My wife Lauren might send you flowers for buying the lathe from Bill before I could talk to her about it!
<chuckle> I told Bill I didn't want to snake it from under anyone if it was already promised, but if it was still an "open" deal, I have cash in hand. Tell Lauren to send the flowers directly to Amy as I'm sure she's going to kill me when she sees yet another piece of equipment being rolled into the shop ;)

Hmmmm, guess this means I'll have to change my sig...

Harvey Ghesser
01-09-2012, 3:35 PM
Congratulations on the Robust, Dan. It's a great lathe. Is this the one you're refering to?http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif

John Keeton
01-09-2012, 4:11 PM
I recognize Grumbine, but who is the other good looking fellow????:D

Tony De Masi
01-09-2012, 4:18 PM
You are correct Dan.

Harvey Ghesser
01-09-2012, 5:00 PM

Thanks, John...might be time for a new pair of glasses, eh?

Jon Nuckles
01-09-2012, 5:05 PM
Wow and congratulations! With luck, the lathe will remember all it has been taught by Mr. Grumbine and you can just go along for the ride.

Justin Stephen
01-09-2012, 5:06 PM
Congrats!

Ooooh, and look how close you live to me! Any chance I can come by and look at it once you have it in hand? :)

Dan Hintz
01-09-2012, 5:18 PM
Congratulations on the Robust, Dan. It's a great lathe. Is this the one you're refering to?http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif
That would be the one, indeed... although I'm not sure if I got any similar pictures myself when I was up there. Come to think of it, I haven't posted any pics of the items I turned during our weekend together, and I just finished turned a bowl yesterday that was roughed during my first day at Bill's.

Bill Bulloch
01-09-2012, 5:22 PM
Congrats dude...you are now a member of the BIG LATHE Club. Now is a good time to sell that Jet, too. Remember how prices have soared here lately. Just show em this add.

Reid Strand
01-09-2012, 5:23 PM
I was drooling at that on the AAW want adds. 1 hour 16 minutes from posting to sold. At least you can tell your wife it holds its value and could always be resold. "could" being the operative word.

Derek Gilmer
01-09-2012, 5:34 PM
If you need me to store the Jet for you in my garage I'm here for ya man.

Congrats on a great lathe!

Jon McElwain
01-09-2012, 5:39 PM
Too bad it's not a Oneway, but congrats anyway!! :D

Mike Cruz
01-09-2012, 5:42 PM
Dan, everyone seems happier for you for your aquisitions than your accomplishments...:rolleyes:

David E Keller
01-09-2012, 5:43 PM
Ouch! That picture of Harvey with your new lathe... Be careful with her... She's got a past. In fact, I think she used to really get around...

Russell Eaton
01-09-2012, 7:04 PM
Congrats Dan. Gonna be hard to top that. Have fun and be safe.

Dan Hintz
01-09-2012, 7:09 PM
You are correct Dan.
Awww, you can't just be happy for me, Tony? :( ;)

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-09-2012, 7:10 PM
Dan,
That one even has my finger prints on it somewhere. Good purchase, I wish you the best of luck with it.
faust

Jim Underwood
01-09-2012, 7:16 PM

Yeah, he don't look too much like his avatar does he? Nose ain't big enough... and no whiskers either...

Dan Hintz
01-09-2012, 7:25 PM
Dan,
That one even has my finger prints on it somewhere. Good purchase, I wish you the best of luck with it.
faust
Maybe I should get everyone who ever used that machine to sign their name to it... wouldn't that be cool. Kind of like the height marks on a door jamb as your kids grow, a list of people who cut a tooth or two on the machine.

John W Dixon
01-09-2012, 8:28 PM
Big Congrats Dan. That is one heck of a lathe! One on earth is Bill getting now?

Mike Cruz
01-09-2012, 8:33 PM
Dan, they could each send you a scan of their signature and you could laser engrave it on the lathe...

Brodie Brickey
01-09-2012, 8:56 PM
Dan, congratulations! There's a reason they have 'Beauty' in the name. May you have many years of turning pleasure on it!

Bernie Weishapl
01-09-2012, 9:06 PM
Congrats Dan. I am happy for you and what a wonderful lathe. Hope you have many happy years turning on it.

Pete Jordan
01-09-2012, 9:12 PM
You have reached most turners dreams!

congrats!

Dan Hintz
01-09-2012, 9:28 PM
Thanks, guys... wish I could say having such a beast will make me turn more, but as the other members of DAMP have learned, I turn (or don't) in my own time. Who knows, maybe it'll give me a reason to get the shop in proper order... I still have no idea how I'm going to get that thing 130 miles south, down a hill, and into my basement, possibly with snow on the ground (I REALLY hope not).

Mike Cruz
01-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Dan, it is your money, so I won't tell you what to do with it. I really hope this thing sitting in your basement is the kick in the pants that will turn you into a turning monster! :)

charlie knighton
01-09-2012, 10:30 PM
congratulations Dan, way to set up to the plate, looking forward to seeing some turnings, just say Geronimo

Kathy Marshall
01-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Congrats Dan! I'm very happy for you, in fact the only thing that would make me happier is if it was heading to my shop!

Baxter Smith
01-10-2012, 8:58 AM
Congrats Dan. My wife would never send me for a lesson if she knew I was going to come back with a Robust!;) :)

Dan Hintz
01-10-2012, 9:39 AM
45 minutes after posting my pen pic to FaceBook I had an order for another one, and I was threatened by SWMBO that if I don't start selling something soon from my "hobby" the wrath will culminate in the loss of some precious jewels I have owned for, as far as I can tell, my entire life (or at least right up until I got married). She also half-chuckled to herself that she would be amazed if I actually managed to make something soon enough to sell... I think she's starting to talk to the DAMP crew too much.

Well, Amy "found out" last night. As we slipped into bed, me reading a book and her on the iPad, she innocently asks me who I was talking to on the phone.
SWMBO: Who were you talking to on the phone?
Me: Bill <trying to get my halo to shine a little brighter to blind her>
SWMBO: Bill who?
Me: Grumbine.
SWMBO: Oh? What did you guys talk about? <her tone telling me she's starting to get a bit suspicious>
Me: <a moment of silence while I figure out the least painful way to get a beatdown, coming straight to the point> I'm buying his lathe.
SWMBO: <silence, with the face slowly screwing up... crap> <head starts to shake slightly side to side> How much is it costing you?
Me: Uhm... a lot. <like ripping a bandaid off all at once... get the sting out of the way>
SWMBO: <more silence... double crap>
Me: I love you!
SWMBO: <silence> <closes cover on iPad, rolls over and turns off the light>
Me: I really love you!

She kissed me on the way out the door this morning, so it can't be all bad. Right? Guys? Right?!

Rich Noterman
01-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Sorry Dan ...........no photos it never happen

Jim Burr
01-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Well, Amy "found out" last night. As we slipped into bed, me reading a book and her on the iPad, she innocently asks me who I was talking to on the phone.
SWMBO: Oh? What did you guys talk about? <her tone telling me she's starting to get a bit suspicious>
Me: <a moment of silence while I figure out the least painful way to get a beatdown, coming straight to the point> I'm buying his lathe.
SWMBO: <silence, with the face slowly screwing up... crap> <head starts to shake slightly side to side> How much is it costing you?
Me: Uhm... a lot. <like ripping a bandaid off all at once... get the sting out of the way>

She kissed me on the way out the door this morning, so it can't be all bad. Right? Guys? Right?!

Depends...did you get a peck on the forehead or a drawn out "Hey baby...I wanna have dinner with you tonite" kind of smooch?
I was wondering what poor Bill is going to do for a lathe now? I seem to remember he had a couple in the barn.

Peter Elliott
01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Remember that shed we talked about. You may need to double it and add in a bathroom :D...

Make sure she is home when the other LATHES are leaving... it will help...

Dan Hintz
01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
I was wondering what poor Bill is going to do for a lathe now? I seem to remember he had a couple in the barn.
I'll let him spoil the fun, but suffice it to say he won't have an empty spot in the shop. :D

Rob Cunningham
01-10-2012, 12:38 PM
45 minutes after posting my pen pic to FaceBook I had an order for another one, and I was threatened by SWMBO that if I don't start selling something soon from my "hobby" the wrath will culminate in the loss of some precious jewels I have owned for, as far as I can tell, my entire life (or at least right up until I got married). She also half-chuckled to herself that she would be amazed if I actually managed to make something soon enough to sell... I think she's starting to talk to the DAMP crew too much.

I suggest that the first few things you turn on the new lathe be gifts for SWMBO.
Congrats on the new lathe.

Alan Zenreich
01-10-2012, 1:06 PM
Dan,

Please ask Amy to let us know where to send the flowers for the memorial service. That is, of course, providing they ever find your body < veg >

Ed Morgano
01-10-2012, 2:12 PM
Dan,
I'm a little late to post but after reading everything, I hope this finds you intact. Congratulations on the lathe too! Hope it serves you well.

Brent English
01-10-2012, 2:34 PM
Brent at Robust here. Thank you Dan for buying Bill's lathe so quick. I know you'll be happy with it. I'll step up and speak for Mr Grumbine: He bought a new one just like it. We've made some cosmetic changes to the AB since Bill bought his 4 1/2 years ago. Because he is one of our dealers, I encouraged him to have the latest and greatest in his shop. To make room he had to sell his gently used one. Hope this doesn't constitute a commercial posting, but I did want to let everybody know what was up with Bill. Thanks, Brent

Bob Bergstrom
01-10-2012, 2:45 PM
Dan, looks like you will have to develop some serious belly muscle to run that big lathe. Bill always bragged about his ability to use a large amount of belly muscle. Enjoy the new (to you) Robust and I agree make sure he signs that beast in with a nice gold or silver "Sharpie"

Bill Bolen
01-10-2012, 2:49 PM
A belated congrat's Dan! You've a lot more in the guts department than I do. Enjoy life turning on that big beauty.

Scott Hackler
01-10-2012, 2:52 PM
Did the lathe come with a free pistol and belt holster? :)

Sid Matheny
01-10-2012, 3:12 PM
My guess is you are going to be dead meat when she finds out the price Dan. Sorry!

Sid

Dan Hintz
01-10-2012, 3:15 PM
Brent at Robust here. Thank you Dan for buying Bill's lathe so quick. I know you'll be happy with it.
Brent, I'm sure Bill has already asked you about disassembly for ease of transport (since it will likely be just me moving it from the truck and into the house), but I'll send an email along myself for more details.

I agree make sure he signs that beast in with a nice gold or silver "Sharpie"
I was going to find a white paint pen, but I think the silver/gold sounds like a better idea :)

Did the lathe come with a free pistol and belt holster? :)
I have my own :) Colt .45 Officer's ACP with multiple mags always loaded with Hydra-Shok hollow points :D Stored in a biometric/fingerprint safe, of course :p

Dominic Greco
01-10-2012, 3:21 PM
Way to GO! That is a one fantastic lathe. I've had the honor of being there when Bill had it's "Welcome Home" party. I got to take that bad boy for a spin or two.

And you could not buy for a more trustworthy person than Bill. I've bought several used machines from him and each time I was pleased as punch.

Oh, and whoever gets that 1642 is going to LOVE that! That's the lathe I have now. 9 years old and still chugging (Holy crap! It's been nine years?)

mike ash
01-10-2012, 4:05 PM
There is an inconsistency here!!!! So often SMC folks demand photos to prove a variety of claims. HOWEVER, IN THIS CASE YOU ARE MERELY TRUSTING DAN'S WORD.......THERE ARE NO PICTURES TO PROVE ANYTHING!!!
What gives???

Sid Matheny
01-10-2012, 4:13 PM
I think pictures or an obituary will be coming soon.

Sid

Bill Wyko
01-10-2012, 5:01 PM
I think I'll hijack the delivery truck. No pics yet so no proof. LMAO Somsday I'll own an American Beauty. Congratulations.

Scott Hackler
01-10-2012, 5:16 PM
I am now, officially, ready to accept a corporate sponsorship from Robust (in case Brent is still following this)! I would even let my wife sew a Robust patch on the smock! :)

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-10-2012, 5:19 PM
Congrats Dan. My friend and MiniMax salesman, Sam Blasco, has a Robust also (if I'm not mistaken :confused::confused:). I didn't get a chance to spin in when I was in his shop in Smithsville a couple years ago, but WOW! What a fine machine ...

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 6:24 PM
Dan, she didn't say the word "gone" when she left, did she? There's a country song about that...

Dan Hintz
01-10-2012, 7:49 PM
I was informed this evening that she didn't want to talk about it, nor did she want to know how much it cost. Evidently it wouldn't be a problem if I was using my Jet, but using someone else's lathe doesn't count towards "lathe use time".

David E Keller
01-10-2012, 8:48 PM
I am now, officially, ready to accept a corporate sponsorship from Robust (in case Brent is still following this)! I would even let my wife sew a Robust patch on the smock! :)

I'd let Scott's wife sew it to my bare chest! I'd have my wife do it, but she can't sew! Hell, I'd let Brent sew it on there!

Bart Leetch
01-10-2012, 9:05 PM
What no pics???????

So ya bought an experienced lathe, I don't think you quite understand the concept.:eek:

Bill's lathes are known for throwing guy's up into the rafters, just ask him. :)

Say there's a big wind coming through here... no that's Dan's suckage.:D

George Morris
01-10-2012, 9:59 PM
Wow great buy! I know I am late to this party but you got a great lathe! Send your wife some flowers and do a lot of beging! Well worth it. Again congrats! Rumor is a the big guy is still Robust!!

Dan Hintz
01-11-2012, 6:52 AM
Pics will follow (with a huge grin) when I actually get it in the shop... at the moment, it's still @ Bill's. He'll hang onto it or another month while his new one is being built.

I'll be renting a 10' moving truck to get it down here, and the wife and I are going to make a day of it visiting the local vineyards. When we went up there for my class time with Bill, she was out sampling the vino... we came back home with a few boxes ;) Concord grape wine smells just like someone opened a jar of Smucker's Grape Jam, and I believe it's our new current favorite. Of course, we can't get wine from many PA wineries here in MD as many of the distributors simply don't carry them... word is the PA yards don't make enough to distribute in large quantities outside of PA. I think that's bunk, but whatcha gonna do.

Justin Stephen
01-11-2012, 9:03 AM
I'll be renting a 10' moving truck to get it down here, and the wife and I are going to make a day of it visiting the local vineyards. When we went up there for my class time with Bill, she was out sampling the vino... we came back home with a few boxes ;) Concord grape wine smells just like someone opened a jar of Smucker's Grape Jam, and I believe it's our new current favorite. Of course, we can't get wine from many PA wineries here in MD as many of the distributors simply don't carry them... word is the PA yards don't make enough to distribute in large quantities outside of PA. I think that's bunk, but whatcha gonna do.

Did you guys make it over to Blue Mountain Winery? I suspect it isn't that far from Bill's shop. I stopped by while competing at an event in the area and it was pretty good.

Mike Cruz
01-11-2012, 9:54 AM
An "event", Justin? You a ski racer?

Justin Stephen
01-11-2012, 11:14 AM
An "event", Justin? You a ski racer?

Nah, used to compete in Olympic Trap (aka "Bunker Trap" or "International Trap", the version of trap they shoot in the Olympics). One of the few places in the country you can shoot bunker trap is a place called Ontelaunee, which is in Lynn, PA.

Mike Cruz
01-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Gottcha. When you said competition, there are a couple of ski resorts around that area that run recreational ski racing...just though you might be "one of us". ;)

Justin Stephen
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Gottcha. When you said competition, there are a couple of ski resorts around that area that run recreational ski racing...just though you might be "one of us". ;)

The thought of me on skis with a hill anywhere near by should frighten everyone. :)

David Warkentin
01-11-2012, 5:06 PM
Congrats!!!

Chuck Stone
01-12-2012, 5:46 PM
you suck.. :p

Neil McWilliams
01-13-2012, 9:43 AM
Dan,
Have you aready explained to your wife how you may need to erect an above ground shop in the event you cannot safely get this lathe into your basement? Once you swirl the vortex, it just gets stronger!

Mike Cruz
01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
HA! He'll be in a new house before THAT happens...and I mean a house aaaaalllll on his own. ;)