PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
03-14-2005, 8:41 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone and it's time to see what everyone's been up to over the weekend.

I spent part of my weekend travelling to Corinth, MS and back to pickup my SIL's two kids that are staying with us this week. This Saturday will be to travel back to Corinth, MS to drop them off with their parents. Did I happen to mention that my hinny is sore from all the sitting on Saturday? :rolleyes:

Anyway, spent some time in the shop this weekend and am approaching the end of one project...a Black Walnut kitchen table that is 43" square with turned legs...and the legs were turned in my shop. :D

I still have some computer work to do on my home pc to get pictures working once again and I should have that done this week.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all......

David Wilson
03-14-2005, 8:49 AM
Worked on a liquor cabinet that I am building for a friend.(Pine) Got the construction and sanding done and did the drain cleaner thing. All that is left to do is find a set of knobs and do the three coats of Briwax. Will post pics when complete.

Bill Lewis
03-14-2005, 9:01 AM
Well, on Saturday I finished my DC ductwork installation and then on Sunday I made some hookups to the planer and jointer.

I then planed and jointed up a bunch of my stack. I got about 1/6th of it done and I (over) filled the 55 gallon cyclone barrel. I didn't size any of it, just got a good surface on it. That way it is easier to stack, and see what I have.

I had some interesting surprises. Lots of wormy oak, a few spalted pieces too. Most of the wormy stuff looks like white oak, but I had some red mixed in too. I worked my way down through the oak to get to the cherry below. Got a few nice boards out of it too, but I think the best is yet to come. Some stock was just a bit too wide for the planer. I won't be able to do anything with that until the new Unisaw gets delivered this week.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-14-2005, 9:04 AM
I had a pretty good weekend. I had a wedding to go to on Sat and a party on Sun. I didn't get much shop time in. What time I did get it was spent on cleaning and re-organization for a future gloat :)

Jim O'Dell
03-14-2005, 9:12 AM
I had a great weekend working on the shop rehab project (see post under Coolmeadow Shop Rehab). Beautiful weather in Fort Worth, but I understand it was cloudy in Dallas...go figure. Jim.

Bryan Nuss
03-14-2005, 9:39 AM
I spent the weekend working on the pair of blanket chests of white cedar I'm making for SWMBO and my daughter. I finished making my dovetail working jig using the Stots Master Template and cut 272 dovetails (my first time making dovetails!). I assembled and glued all the sides together. Should be finished by the end of next weekend.

Dan Mages
03-14-2005, 9:50 AM
Lets just say that my weekend was spent at my parents, who are in egypt on vacation. My activities revolved around revenge on my mother and lots of purple paint... muahahahahaha!! I promise pics when my job is done!

Dan

Jim Becker
03-14-2005, 9:55 AM
I actually got shop time on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend...and got all the fabrication work done on my "Mantle Capper (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17645)" project. With any luck, I'll complete the finishing and installation between now and the end of next weekend. Time to decide on what the next project will be, but I have a bit of sharpening, etc., to do before I move on. I sometimes forget to deal with that maintenance and it's a pain to interrupt a project in-line to make a tool ready for use. Of course, I'm speaking of those evil hand tools in that context!! ;)

DVD of the week was Orlando...an interesting and quirky Virginia Wolf story.

Frank Pellow
03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
We prepared for and attended two parties on Saturday and I did not even enter the shop. This was the first day since the shop was built and when I was home that I did not get into the place.

On Sunday, I spent about 10 hours working on upgrading/replacing the aluminum wiring in the sewing/guest room. As I work on redecorating rooms in our house, I do this and the sewing/guest room is the second last room to redecorate. Everying went well for about the first 4 hours then (with a lot of fishing) I wired in a new receptacle that keeps blowing fuses. I can't find the problem :mad: Right now I have changed every component and it its OK some times and not other times :confused:. I am just about to give up. :mad:

Tyler Howell
03-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Nice, quiet weekend. Finally got back in the shop and played with some toyls. Tuned up some of the Neander fleet for another assault on the ever growing punch list of home remuddling projects.

Had a wonderful date with my youngest daughter, caught up on news, Saw the new Bruce Willis movie, "Hostage" (Lots of action, high body count). Presented her with some cultured black pearls from Tahiti.

Finished my Xmas cards for 2004:o
For the first time in months I've been researching catalogues and asking fellow creekers about some of their hardware:cool: . Gloats to follow.

Jim Fancher
03-14-2005, 10:36 AM
I took off Friday to take the family to Robots and The Pacifier. The kids loved both.

I tinkered with my first rail and stile using scrap wood. It was good enough to make me want to try more. :)

Chad Pater
03-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Finished my Xmas cards for 2004:o

I was wondering why I didn't get one this Christmas ;)

I had friends over Sat afternoon/evening, church and nap Sunday. Watched some basketball too this weekend....to prepare for March Madness :) I love this time of year!

Bill Arnold
03-14-2005, 1:29 PM
LOML and I went to The Woodworking Show in Kissimmee (Orlando). We drove over Friday and came back home Sunday afternoon. Her condition was that we could go if I would take her to Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament, so I had made reservations for dinner on Saturday evening. If you've never been to Medieval Times, you should go. I went to MT mainly to keep peace but ended up having a great time -- after all, when was the last time you had a great feast and had to use your fingers?!?!?!

Oh, yeah -- The Woodworking Show! I wasn't in the market for anything major, just some veneer and to sit in on some of the instructional stuff. Wound up with a couple of arm loads of veneer -- some for a specific project and some chosen by LOML for future commissions for her. I also got a pair of GRR-Rippers (GR-200) and a pair of MJ Splitters (1/8" & 3/32"). Got a few supply-type items as well. They got a total of a few hundred out of me.

The location for the Show was Osceola Heritage Park which is a great facility. I was disappointed the Show wasn't in Tampa this year since that is a lot more convenient for me, but it got us out of the house for a little getaway so I can't complain too much.

Regards,

Keith Christopher
03-14-2005, 2:04 PM
worked on converting an old box into a humidor which is becoming quite challenging as this box is like 40yrs old and was nailed together. trying to fix all the wood movement splits and loose joints without marring or dmging the finish is a trick I tell you. Also cleaned up the shop a little for me to fit a newly built "sacrifical bench" you know the type where you can beat the crap outta it and not wince at each ding or stain or over drill. ;)

Matt Meiser
03-14-2005, 3:03 PM
Saturday morning my dad and I went to get some wood to finish my router table and for a trim project in his house. On the way home we stopped at Lowes for the clamp/FWW deal. I spent the afternoon of both Saturday and Sunday working on the router table, including my first raised panel door which didn't turn out too bad. All that's left is to fit the door, sand, apply finish (probably BLO) and install hardware.

Steve Clardy
03-14-2005, 3:36 PM
Production wise it was a washout. No work done.
Took the wife to Sedalia sunday to board a bus to KC to the airport to fly to New York. School contest for Her. Very excited about that She is.:D I spent the rest of the day flea market hunting, old stanley planes.
My buddy:rolleyes: T. Hatfield rubbed that one on me.:eek:
Came home with a few rebuilders, and bought some on Ebay. That sure shrank the ol' pocketbook.:(:(
Today I am piddling. Sitting here banging keystrokes, wondering what to do on my birthday alone. Work or Play??:confused::rolleyes:;)

Earl Reid
03-14-2005, 6:22 PM
I had a busy weekend, worked on pens, got about 40 done. continued working on cherry blanket chest for our graddaughter's upcoming graduation.
and attended a birthday dinner for my brother. On the way home from a wake Fri evening I got a call from my sister, she left the door open and a racoon came in the basement. I got it out and it was very nasty!! :mad:
Earl

Silas Smith
03-14-2005, 7:02 PM
I spent the weekend working on a suggestion box for work. Some of you may remember a post a couple of weeks back where I put the divider dados on the outside of the box. Oh well, I started over and tried a few new techniques including my first attempt at resawing. I learned alot and messed up a little, but in the end I was pleased with the results. I then planed and jointed all of the wood. Then I cut it all to length, and tried my hand at dovetailing again on my Leigh jig. I must say that the more times I use the jig, the better I am getting. I am, however, comming to the realization that if I want perfect joints, I need to use a backer board. Anyway, I didn't get that much time in the shop, but the time that I had was well spent.

Tony Falotico
03-14-2005, 7:25 PM
Got a little more done on my Workbench Base, all the kids (3+spouses = 6) plus 5 grandkids plus two cousins were over for daughter's B'day Saturday evening. Yes, total uncontrolled confusion. :eek: But lots of good food and fellowship makes it all fine. :) :)

My back, feet and ankles have been giving me lots of problems lately, was out of work three days last week that I couldn't walk -- Kinda limits shop time and heavy activity. :(

Tyler Howell
03-14-2005, 8:10 PM
Hey Tony! Hang in there buddy! Feel better soon.
Got

My back, feet and ankles have been giving me lots of problems lately, was out of work three days last week that I couldn't walk -- Kinda limits shop time and heavy activity. :(

Arnie Grammon
03-14-2005, 9:31 PM
I finished milling a black walnut log.....got about 350 bft of good lumber out of the log, but happened to run into these:
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albus48/Nails_001.sized.jpg

Three big spike nails. My chainsaw mill was instantly dull, but no real harm done, except my pride. And I got some great looking crotch wood out of the deal as a bonus.

MW

Matt Meiser
03-15-2005, 6:58 AM
I finished milling a black walnut log.....got about 350 bft of good lumber out of the log,

Arnie, can you post about your experience with this? My dad just told me the other day that he thinks the power company has marked a walnut on their property for complete removal due to its proximity to the power lines.

Dan Gill
03-15-2005, 8:34 AM
I got the staining mostly done for my mission headboard, in between bouts with a hackberry tree that was tearing my chain link fence apart. It's amazing how fast those things can grow. This one got way too big before I went after it. Part of it is still there because the powerline runs through the center and my neighbor is going to have to cut the limbs on his side of the fence.

Bart Sharp
03-15-2005, 9:34 AM
I spent all day Saturday doing my first letter carving project, a plaque for my wife on our fifth anniversary. Our daughter was at Grandma's and my wife was at work, so I hid out in my office and got it done. Not too bad for my first try I don't think. I'll post pictures when I get the chance.

We're on Spring Break right now, so I was able to extend the weekend an extra day. We spent all day yesterday at the Indianapolis Children's Museum. It was a great time for everyone from 14 months to 31 years old. If you live in the area and haven't gone, you should definitely make some time. Borrow a kid from the neighbors if you don't have your own, it's just a lot of fun!

Lou Morrissette
03-15-2005, 10:43 AM
No shop work this weekend. Took an unexpected road trip to NH to welcome my new grandaughter into the world (a month early). Everything turned out fine and i'm in all my glory!

Lou

Chris Padilla
03-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Production wise it was a washout. No work done.
Took the wife to Sedalia sunday to board a bus to KC to the airport to fly to New York. School contest for Her. Very excited about that She is.:D I spent the rest of the day flea market hunting, old stanley planes.
My buddy:rolleyes: T. Hatfield rubbed that one on me.:eek:
Came home with a few rebuilders, and bought some on Ebay. That sure shrank the ol' pocketbook.:(:(
Today I am piddling. Sitting here banging keystrokes, wondering what to do on my birthday alone. Work or Play??:confused::rolleyes:;)

Hey, I shoulda known...it must be my birthday, too, right twin bro??? :D :D

Byron Trantham
03-15-2005, 10:51 AM
I spent the weekend putting together the full-extension shelf for the Tomek, drawer for for the jigs and lazy susan. The lazy susan is used to allow me to turn the "ten ton hummer" :o from one rotation direction to the other. If you own of these neat little machines you'll understand.

I'll post a "review" and pics in the next few weeks.

Sneak preview - I love the thing. :D

Garry Smith
03-15-2005, 2:47 PM
I finally took the time Sunday to change out the warranty table on the Unisaw I purchased last fall. As a result of changing the table all my sleds that ride in both tracks had to be redone because the new table spacing was not the same as the original. This purchase has cost me a lot of non productive shop time.

Garry

Arnie Grammon
03-15-2005, 5:43 PM
Arnie, can you post about your experience with this? My dad just told me the other day that he thinks the power company has marked a walnut on their property for complete removal due to its proximity to the power lines.
Matt

I have a Nordic Prince chainsaw mill with a Husky 385 chainsaw. The mill allows me to cut vertical and horizontal........basically it's a poor mans version of a Lucas circular sawmill. It doesn't provide perfect cuts every time, but it does all right, and it allows me to cut the log quartersawn.

I looked the mill up online and there is very little, if any information on this brand. There are other chainsaw mills that work pretty well (the Alaskan, etc.), but the hidden cost, if I can call it that, is all chainsaw mills require some serious horsepower to rip lumber. From my limited experieince, you would need a chainsaw in the 5 - 6 HP for hardwood. In short, ripping requires alot more HP than crosscutting.

If you are capable of moving the log to a mill, or having the mill come to you, you may consider someone with a Woodmizer or equivalent. The only real advantage to my mill is that I can jump on lumber as it becomes available, and I don't have to move it from the site. I can also get into tight areas to mill because the mill is totally portable. And it's paid for. :D

HTH

Arnie