PDA

View Full Version : A little help with wood toxicology

jeff . whitaker
01-09-2012, 10:50 AM
For the last couple of days I have been working on a few projects for my wife, most of what I have been working with has been oak. I did some turnings and some inlay, Red Heart, Yellow Heart and Brazillian Cherry "Jatoba" ( I think that is what it is, I was in some flooring cut offs given to me) and Pink Ivory
Day before yesterday I noticed a small rash around my neck and in creases and folds of my arms, much like a mild case of poison oak. Yesterday my eyes were swelling a bit but the rash was better, I had other things to do so I stayed out of the shop till late yesterday, worked for a couple of hours and I woke up this morning with my eyes almost swollen shut.
I have checked a few places for toxicology of
Jatba (BC)
Yellow Heart
Red Heart
Pink Ivory

What little I have found listed them as little irritation, or there was no info.....
So any of ya'll had troubles with these? Hate to think I am going to have to give up wood working.
THANKS!
Jeff

Myk Rian
01-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Long sleeves and a respirator.
Walnut does that to me.
It could be you're a bit more sensitive to it. A good DC system and room filter may help.

Steve Costa
01-09-2012, 3:51 PM
Jeff,

If you are sensitive to these woods I suggest you stay away from all South American hardwoods and the Asian redwoods, Indonesian etc. I don't react to them but many people have ended up in Emergency Rooms after cutting or sanding these woods.

If you want to work with these woods a premium respirator and a long sleeve shirt buttoned at the collar as mention above should be very helpful.

Steve

Larry Edgerton
01-09-2012, 6:17 PM
Brazilian Cherry[Jatoba] does not bother me but African Cherry[Makore] is just terrible for me. I have over 1000 bd ft of the stuff and it attacks my breathing immediately. I am going to get one of those backpack filters when I start my cabinets with the stuff.

A wood that bothers one man may not bother another. Strainge but true. I have a fellow that works for me that is not bothered by the Makore, but he can not work with red cedar which does not bother me?

Figure out which one it is if you can and avoid it in the future. The shavings from Jatoba make some awesome smoked fish, may be the best thing to do with it.;)

Larry

Dave Wagner
01-09-2012, 6:27 PM
http://mnwoodturners.com/New_Member_Docs/Toxic_Woods_Chart.html

Mark Baldwin III
01-10-2012, 8:14 PM
I had a pretty severe reaction to some rosewood last year (Brazilian). It took a month to get over. It helped ruin my summer, and contributed to another condition that landed me in the hospital for a few days. Now, I won't touch any rose woods, I'm too scared!