PDA

View Full Version : How does this band saw look ?

Matthew N. Masail
01-09-2012, 5:55 AM
I'm starting to find more and more industrial companies that sell woodworking machinery here in Israel, but I've never heard of any of them.
how does this one look to the experts...
http://www.oavequipment.com/style/frame/templates13/product_detail.asp?lang=2&customer_id=1692&name_id=58343&content_set=color_1&rid=25501&id=129552

There is a company that also brings in Italian band saw from A.C.M,
do this ring a bell?

Matthew N. Masail
01-09-2012, 6:10 AM
Also, I just saw the A.C.M saws have automatic blade guides.. does that mean they adjust themselves electronically?

david paul miller
01-09-2012, 6:54 AM
looks like grizzly, just different color

Jim Matthews
01-09-2012, 7:25 AM
If these are already cleared for cutoms, you're way ahead of the game.

Note that the machines made in PROC are of a high standard but the blade may be suspect.
Be prepared to replace the blade provided with the saw. The makers include the blade size in their specifications.

If there are Delta 14" clones (or originals) floating around your little corner of the world - that would be my choice.

Anthony Whitesell
01-09-2012, 7:25 AM
looks like grizzly, just different color

I'll ditto that. Looks identical to my G0513X2, except the wheel has circular holes instead of bear heads. They show two fences in the photos, an extruded fence and a 'high' fence. The high fence is also the same as the resaw fence on the Grizzly saw. Oh yeah, the on/off switch is different to. I didn't look, how much are they asking? Should Grizzly be feeling special that someone is making a knock-off of their saw?

John Coloccia
01-09-2012, 8:04 AM
Should Grizzly be feeling special that someone is making a knock-off of their saw?

It's almost certainly made by the same factory. I can't remember now what manufacturer they use, but this is extremely common in the machinery world...a factory makes a dozen different models all on the same frame and they all look very similar.

David Kumm
01-09-2012, 8:39 AM
Regardless of who makes them they appear to be pretty light saws with light wheels compared to ACM, Centauro, or Agazzani. Dave

Matthew N. Masail
01-09-2012, 9:28 AM
Thanks everyone, I have made my choice! spoke to the company today, really nice guy, an ACM Star 400 with a 3 hp motor is 2300$ and already in stock, ordering one is no problem either. now I just need to save up another 1000+... (-:

John Aperahama
01-09-2012, 1:53 PM
Did no one see the address? Address : No.65, Tung-shasn Rd., Ching-shui Dist., Taichung City 43641, Taiwan (Factory 1) griz machines along with a myiad of other suppliers will be sourcing from here if the price is right youre good to go

Matthew N. Masail
01-09-2012, 2:06 PM
Did no one see the address? Address : No.65, Tung-shasn Rd., Ching-shui Dist., Taichung City 43641, Taiwan (Factory 1) griz machines along with a myiad of other suppliers will be sourcing from here if the price is right youre good to go

Funny, and I thought I couldn't get Grizzly........... lol in any case I choose the ACM, I looked around and seems like you can't go wrong with them, like the Agazzani.

Van Huskey
01-09-2012, 2:16 PM
The one you posted is essentially a Grizzly 513/513P with an added microswitch on the doors that is required by the CE. They run $1000 shipped in the US. This is the lowest version of the Grizzly 513 line. A generally solid saw for what it is BUT a FAR cry from the ACM Star line. The stock OAV you posted has aluminum wheels, "Euro guides" (but they are a pretty poor iteration as they are much more difficult to set than "Euro guides" you find on ACM or Centauro built saws, steel trunions (as opposed to cast iron) and a pretty basic fence. I see some of these are upgradable just as they are in the Grizzly line. If you look for reviews of the Grizzly here look for G0513 or G0513P the X X2 etc etc versions all have upgrades.

Although the Star line is pretty much entry level for ACM, based on following your posts I would say it is probably a good fit for you, excellent saw. Based on the prices you have mentioned for other saws I think the Star 400 may be the best buy you have mentioned. Probably the only weakness compared to the OAV would be its 1.5hp motor, which I still think they use, going on memory here.

Matthew N. Masail
01-09-2012, 2:24 PM
Hi Van, your memory serves, they do have a 1.5HP motor on stock, but, the supplier here orders them with a 3Hp motor. I was so happy to hear that.

Van Huskey
01-09-2012, 2:27 PM
Hi Van, your memory serves, they do have a 1.5HP motor on stock, but, the supplier here orders them with a 3Hp motor. I was so happy to hear that.

3hp is perfect for that saw.

I am curious do you have a price for the OAV you listed? Just curious how it stacks up against the others you have listed in previous posts.

Matthew N. Masail
01-09-2012, 3:10 PM
Sorry, I didn't call them. after seeing what the ACM was I was sold..

Van Huskey
01-09-2012, 3:35 PM
No problem, I wouldn't have bothered either. Also, I have no idea about the automatic guides.

Matthew N. Masail
01-09-2012, 4:14 PM
Thanks.... I'll ask about those guides before I buy, if it's something interesting I'll open a post about it.

Myk Rian
01-09-2012, 4:46 PM
Same as the Grizzly, which is the same as the Harbor Freight saw.
Gets good reviews.

Rick Fisher
01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
OAV is Taiwanese and make the many of the Bandsaws that Grizzly sells.. They make sliders and other machines as well.. They are an upper end Taiwanese mfg.. I think my Mortiser is made by OAV as well.. its sturdy and been good..

I think the name is Overall Advanced Vigor..

You could ask them what options are available but end of the day, its likely identical already..

Jamie Buxton
01-10-2012, 12:01 AM
There is a company that also brings in Italian band saw from A.C.M, do this ring a bell?

Yes, ACM is a respected Italian bandsaw maker. In the US, most of Laguna's bandsaws are built by ACM. The Felder and Hammer bandsaws for many years were made by ACM.

Van Huskey
01-10-2012, 2:30 AM
Same as the Grizzly, which is the same as the Harbor Freight saw.
Gets good reviews.

I always wondered why the HF version disappeared, it could be had at a screamin' deal with the 20% off coupon.

Agazzani's are also made by ACM, at least for a while after Felder brought production to Hall in Tirol they imported some of the parts from ACM.

Jeff Duncan
01-10-2012, 11:08 AM
I'll ditto that. Looks identical to my G0513X2, Should Grizzly be feeling special that someone is making a knock-off of their saw?

I just found the irony here pretty funny, someone copying the copy;)

sorry, nothing else useful to add....