PDA

View Full Version : Figured Cherry Gun Display Case

Bryan Morgan
01-09-2012, 1:25 AM
Had some nice figured cherry I've been sitting on for awhile just waiting for the perfect project. My wife has had this beautiful engraved 1851 Navy hidden away in a case. Better to put it on display, I think. I made this for her for Christmas. The "glass" is lexan. I have real glass and cut it up and noticed a scratch right in the middle of the main window. Meh... had some lexan and its much easier to work with and very clear so I went with that instead. The pistol was engraved by master engraver Sean McVicker.

Todd Burch
01-09-2012, 7:55 AM
Very nice Bryan! I like the "Y" post that supports the barrel. How else is the gun supported? How do you access the interior? Does the back slide up?

Todd

Paul Saffold
01-09-2012, 8:16 AM
Nice case and nice revolver. Too nice to be hidden away unless it's security is an issue.

Bryan Morgan
01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Very nice Bryan! I like the "Y" post that supports the barrel. How else is the gun supported? How do you access the interior? Does the back slide up?

Todd

Thanks! The top is hinged lid. No other support other than the post. I had considered something more but the bottom of the handle is flat so it sits pretty nice in there.

The back panel is a lightly figured dark walnut. I thought it would be nice to contrast the bright steel of the weapon.

Bryan Morgan
01-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Nice case and nice revolver. Too nice to be hidden away unless it's security is an issue.

Definitely not a security issue. Its cap and ball black powder so unless someone wants to take the time to load it they can't use it for anything other than a club. We keep our "real" guns elsewhere but in reach in case they are needed. :) She has a stainless Vaquero I was going to have engraved but honestly its more of a shooter and not quite nice enough to fancy up.

Paul Saffold
01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
I was thinking more of it being stolen.

Bryan Morgan
01-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I was thinking more of it being stolen.

Ah, well if they can get past the dogs and the business end of an AR15 or my angry wife with her S&W 686 I suppose they've earned it. :D I thought about putting a lock on it but realized someone could just smash the box and take it anyway.

glenn bradley
01-09-2012, 1:07 PM
It took me awhile to respond. I kept going back for another look :). Beautiful material and a wonderful home for that pistol.

Paul Saffold
01-09-2012, 1:13 PM
LOL, you must have been a Boy Scout. Isn't their motto "Be Prepared"?

Bryan Morgan
01-10-2012, 1:35 AM
It took me awhile to respond. I kept going back for another look http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif. Beautiful material and a wonderful home for that pistol.

Hey thanks! Its a great gun and we really wanted to shoot it but its just too nice. We bought it from the McVickers themselves and had some extra work done on the back strap. They are great people to work with and the quality of his work is simply amazing. He is contracted with the U.S. military for their ceremonial pieces. Lots of stuff in museums and whatnot.

LOL, you must have been a Boy Scout. Isn't their motto "Be Prepared"?

Indeed I was, for short while anyway. :) Always be prepared! Better to have and not need than need and not have. All that stuff... :)

Von Bickley
01-10-2012, 9:28 AM
I didn't think guns were allowed in California......

Eric Skell
01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Beautiful work! What is the finish?

Bryan Morgan
01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I didn't think guns were allowed in California......

Don't get me started.... :D We can have them, just not the fun stuff... or at least, un-neutered versions of the fun stuff. We can have all the SCARS, AK47's, AR-15's, Glocks, etc that we want, but we are limited to 10 round mags and for the rifles the mags have to be pinned to the receiver in a way that we have to use a tool to remove them. Most of these things were banned but some genius folks came up with the "bullet button" and got us some of our right to bear arms back.

At any rate, this pistol is cap and ball black powder and isn't really defined as a firearm by state law. Cash and carry, no waiting periods or background checks or anything. Not a lot of gangbangers doing drive bys with these types of guns. They just use the stuff that is "banned" that the common guy can't have but the criminals seem to have plenty of. :D

Bryan Morgan
01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Beautiful work! What is the finish?

Sanded to 600 grit, 2 coats of Watco Danish Oil (also banned in CA... I'm an outlaw! :D ), and a few coats of Minwax finishing wax. When I apply the danish oil I used 600 grit sandpaper rather than just wipe it on. Makes for a solid looking finish that is semi-gloss.

Gene Waara
01-10-2012, 3:32 PM
....Watco Danish Oil (also banned in CA... I'm an outlaw! :D .....No kidding! Banned for what reason? I swear, I could never live in CA!

Edited to add - Beautiful work! - sorry the Watco comment threw my pea brain inot a spin.

Bryan Morgan
01-10-2012, 4:39 PM
No kidding! Banned for what reason? I swear, I could never live in CA!

Edited to add - Beautiful work! - sorry the Watco comment threw my pea brain inot a spin.

Yeah, well we are trying to flee this state with the rest of the people like us but its easier said than done these days. As to why it is banned, I don't know. Maybe too many kids were drinking it at rave parties, or people were pouring it on babies at the nursery, or splashing it on the elderly at the old folks home...?? Must have been something really heinous to just up and ban something we regularly use (and help drive even more businesses out of state with the rest that are leaving in droves).

If we don't leave I am going to start a criminal empire by importing varnish and danish oil and selling it on our black market. :D

Von Bickley
01-10-2012, 7:40 PM
Does California allow citizens to have a CWP ( concealed weapons permit )?

Bryan Morgan
01-12-2012, 12:39 AM
Does California allow citizens to have a CWP ( concealed weapons permit )?

Absolutely. As long as you pay the appropriate bribes to the right people. Basically, unless you are a politician or a very rich business person, you are an unwilling victim to whatever bad stuff comes your way. You have to take a course, pass a background check, and apply with the local Sheriff and provide a "good reason" where he/she gets to decide if you are worthy of protecting yourself. Many people who have been threatened or even attacked have applied and got turned down while some turd bureaucrat walks right in and gets theirs (even though they have their own armed security). Many of us carry anyway as we refuse to be victims and its only a misdemeanor of you are caught with a gun... Its a felony if you have a knife though, go figure. :)

Yeah, we don't call it the PRK for nothing. (peoples republik of kalifornia) :p

Casey Carr
01-13-2012, 3:23 PM
I'm willing to bet the Watco Danish Oil is banned due to the VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds). Even working on a military base, it's getting harder for us to get access to regular use stuff such as Methanol. Ridiculous. And Nevada is so close, I really wish they'd move us across the state line. Then the gun issue would be moot also! :)

And the CWP really depends a lot on which county you reside in. Mine it's not all that difficult, but you do have to provide "good reason." I know plenty of people with them though.

Beautiful gun and case!

Ken Mosley
01-14-2012, 5:05 PM
No kidding! Banned for what reason? I swear, I could never live in CA!

Just to clarify the above point:

Lots of people "exist" in Cal, very few actually "live" there