PDA

View Full Version : Need Software suggestions...

Jimmy L Taylor
01-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Ok, need a recommendation. I recently purchased a 60 watt Epilog Helix along with Corel X5 and photolaser plus. I have not had any success with photolaser plus. I am thinking of going with another software program for photos. I am looking at photograv and one touch. What do you recommend? What works the best with my helix? Keep in mind I have zero experience so I need something user friendly. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks for any help!

Larry Allred
01-09-2012, 12:50 AM
ARA offers a class that will make all the difference for you. I took it at the Awards show and seminar last year in Las Vegas. (Coming again this year the week of March 6th)

Go to ARA dot org and look at the events. The classes are usually well worth the trip, and it's good to meet vendors and get ideas of new projects. BTW, ARA is good to me a member of. If you are many of the classes are free!

Mike Null
01-09-2012, 4:13 AM
I believe it would be a waste of money to buy new software before giving Corel and PhotoPaint a good test. You can do all that it needed with this software if you practice a bit.

paul mott
01-09-2012, 7:19 AM
Something you can try totally for free is the 'XiMagic' gray dither plugin which will run within the free software 'IrfanView'. It takes a bit of practice (but doesn’t all software) but you can expect good results which IMO are equal to Photograv. :)

Paul.

Martin Boekers
01-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Roy Brewer has a nice selection of videos on YouTube. I strongley recommend you check them out. Esp. the one on halftoning
in Corel.

There is NO panacea of software that will do everything you want. There have been numerous postings here about converting
photos to halftones or 1 bit files. PhotoGrav, One Touch, PP, PS, the Gold Method etc.

If you are new (and even if not) I suggest that you take time to read the all the posts in this forum. You will find many
answers to things before you have the questions. :-) Also it's good to set up a bookmark folder to make access quicker when
you need to find something.

You Tube is great for find videos on how to do things.

Marty

Dee Gallo
01-09-2012, 3:10 PM
Ok, need a recommendation. I recently purchased a 60 watt Epilog Helix along with Corel X5 and photolaser plus. I have not had any success with photolaser plus. I am thinking of going with another software program for photos. I am looking at photograv and one touch. What do you recommend? What works the best with my helix? Keep in mind I have zero experience so I need something user friendly. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks for any help!

Hi Jimmy,

I second the advice to read as many previous threads for info, but find your comment "Keep in mind I have zero experience" is the key to your future success. You need to practice with the software you have in order to make it work for you. There is no magic button to press. Most people find that 6 months of learning how to use all the tools and features of any program will allow them to do most anything they want to do. I used to teach computer graphics and found that the average adult learner with zero experience needed about 3 weeks of all day every day work to even begin to use a program correctly. There are just too many things to learn and remember, not even counting the design knowledge needed. The learning curve is long, but once mastered, any graphics program can make you look like a wizard. Take your time and learn one skill well, then move on to another. Trying to start at 100 will only bring you back to zero agin.

That's my recommendation. You have good equipment and good software, now make yourself the good operator they deserve!

cheers, dee

Chuck Stone
01-09-2012, 4:39 PM
You have good equipment and good software, now make yourself the good operator they deserve!
cheers, dee

SMC needs a "Like" button

Jimmy L Taylor
01-09-2012, 11:34 PM
SMC needs a "Like" button

I agree Totally!