PDA

View Full Version : DAMP Jan, 2012

Mike Cruz
01-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Well, Tony was again a gracious host from a warm welcome (even though the other three of us showed up late :o), to kindly doing very little turning himself (to give us plenty of lathe time), to teaching (won't beging to start that saga), to a fabulous stew for lunch.

I started the day buffing a couple of bowls. For the most part, I was happy how they turned out. Then I turned a little piece for a HF stand (more on that in another thread), then I drank a wonderful bouquet of different beers for the rest of the day...yeah, I had a good day. :D

Dan hopped ont the lathe next and turned his first pen. This one for his wife. I've included a number of shots of it...you decide which pic you like best. 219075219076219077219078219079219080219081219082

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Sounds like a good time Mike. That is a really a classy looking pen. I do like that color. Around here they would call that KSU purple.

Mike Cruz
01-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Then, he turned a pen from Ambrosia Maple for my neighbor. Again, lots of pics, you chose which one you like best..219086219085219084219083

Then Peter turned a NE white oak bowl from the wood he got from Ken Hill. 219088219089219090

Tony and Peter also final turned a Pear bowl for another neighbor of mine. I think we all had a good day...in our own ways.:D

Peter Elliott
01-09-2012, 8:43 AM
Good time for sure. It was a long day too.. up at 6am and home at 8pm... I think we are lucky to have wive's that put up with our monthly meet!

NE Oak burl is soaking right now. Hope to finish turn it in about 3-4 weeks. I have another burl blank that was cut from the same log Ken gave me and will rough that out this week.

We tested out a new band saw blade and as we say in New England, "it cuts like butta"... Jury is still out on how long it will stay sharp but it's holding great promise.

Mike really enjoyed his craft beverages ALL day.
Hats off to Tony for a very long day and lots of patience.
Dan needs a hot tub, for all the hard work he did.
And I learned one thing... not to take Mike to McDonalds for a quick bite..

Great day with great friends!
-Peter

ps. Navigating is not an easy task with a Ski Bum and Engineer :rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
01-09-2012, 9:17 AM
Yes, certainly a long day, granted, I was home a 1/2 hour before you (an hour or so before Dan), but I was up at 5:45 doing barn work. I think we all probably slept well last night...:rolleyes:

That burl from Ken's that Peter turned was just fantastic. Can't wait to see the completed piece. And the other blank was beutiful, too. 219110 Keller's gonna love these... BTW, this blank is 9" and the NE that Peter roughed out yesterday was 10".

And, yes, admittedly, I really did enjoy the libations ALL day. Fortunately, I was the one that started the day off on the lathe, buffing the two bowls and turning the other little piece that I'll be talking about later. So, I was done with the lathe before 11:00. Meaning that I had 7 hours to sit around and watch other people turning... And even though I was offered another turn on the lathe later in the day, I knew better...

OMG, does Tony have patience... You are a Saint, my friend.

Dan doesn't need a hot tub, he needs a yoga instructor!

As for MickyD's, you exagerate...:rolleyes: To all that may wonder...I special ordered a BURGER...THAT'S IT! Apparently, Peter was "bothered" by that...:D

And navigating would have gone a lot smoother if SOMEONE has listened to a ski bum that suggested using the GPS...even so SOMEONE knew he would remember the way...;):D

Peter Elliott
01-09-2012, 9:31 AM
And navigating would have gone a lot smoother if SOMEONE has listened to a ski bum that suggested using the GPS...even so SOMEONE knew he would remember the way...;):D

Apparently navigating by landmarks is frowned upon in this establishment...

Dan Hintz
01-09-2012, 9:52 AM
You're both right... I need a hot tub AND a yoga instructor. The right side of my hip is still sore (don't know why the right always hurts more than the left), and my heels are throbbing as I write this (this is probably due to work... I estimated I walk 4-5 miles a day across mostly concrete during my 9 hours, M-F).

Amy was not nearly as excited about the pen as I had hoped, due in part to my late arrival last night :( And the groaning I did getting into bed didn't help, either. My body is really failing me...

Jim Underwood
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Dan.

Heels hurt?
Arch Support.

Mike Cruz
01-09-2012, 2:10 PM
Hmmmm, would have thought that Dan's FIRST pen would have gotten a little more attention... Maybe ya'll didn't like like pics?

David E Keller
01-09-2012, 3:34 PM
Sounds like fun! I can't believe that's Dan's first pen... Hasn't he been hoarding tools and pen blanks for over a year now?

That Oak burl is really something! Very nice of Ken to share it... I'm afraid I would have hoarded it all to myself! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Two pens and a bowl rough out is all you boys managed in an entire day of turning?

Ken Hill
01-09-2012, 5:02 PM
You forgot fast food and beer David LOL...that equals quite a bit haha!

That oak is pretty mean, fingers crossed she behaves and they finish out really sweet for ya'll!

Pens look good, bowls look good, beer sounds good! Ive cut 7 more cords of wood since saturday so no time to play on the internet.....cant pass up this mild weather!

Mike Cruz
01-09-2012, 5:47 PM
David, um...yeah...hoarding tools and blanks...and his FIRST pen...:rolleyes:

And David, as Peter was turnin that burl, I knew you would drool when you saw it. :D

And no, David, we did more... I buffed two bowls and made a little "stand" for a little "something" ;). Tony and Peter finish turned a large Pear bowl. And Dan finish turned a bowl that he roughed out at Bill Grumbine's...4-5 months ago. :rolleyes:

John W Dixon
01-09-2012, 8:06 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun guys! That pen for Dan's wife is spectacular. I like pic #6 best. It has the little sparkle of the crystal in it. I'll bet the wife liked it better the next day! The oak burl is absolutely gorgeous. I gotta say I am a little jealous of ya.:)

John

Mike Cruz
01-10-2012, 8:37 AM
Sorry, Bernie, I got a little "caught up" mentally...

Yes, it really was a good time, thanks. Funny you say the pen looks "classy"...Peter had another name for it. :D I think we all kinda like the way it turned out. BTW, you sure you aren't Tony's brother? You two look like you could be twins. ;)

Baxter Smith
01-10-2012, 9:08 AM
Dans "first pen" looks great! I am a little surprised that that big yellow lathe couldn't handle it without difficulty. No wonder an upgrade to that 1642 was called for.;):)

Dan Hintz
01-10-2012, 9:25 AM
Dans "first pen" looks great! I am a little surprised that that big yellow lathe couldn't handle it without difficulty. No wonder an upgrade to that 1642 was called for.;):)
I turn really tough woods, Baxter :p