PDA

View Full Version : My first mini birdhouse

Donny Lawson
01-08-2012, 9:12 PM
This is my first attempt at a mini birdhouse. It's made from spalted sycamore and walnut. It's finished with mineral oil and paste wax and is about 5" tall. I also made the hook to hang it up with out of some copper wire I had laying around. The hooks are real easy to make with a "wire twister". I will be giving it to my sister-n-law for her birthday on Tuesday.

Roger Chandler
01-08-2012, 9:29 PM
Very nice, Donny..........I like the shape and the wood combination....it looks good! That is the largest mini birdhouse I think I have seen.........mine are usually about two inches long, because I have made them as ornaments for a Christmas tree, but for a decoration that is displayed, that size will work well.

Nice stuff!

Jim Burr
01-08-2012, 9:30 PM
Ok..I see how you are...big jump start on Christmas! Well done ya mutt!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Looks good Donny but I have to warn ya - they are habit forming!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Donny, now ya gone and done it. Those things are about as addictive as it comes. Really nice birdhouse. Great start. I have did well over 150 of them and still love doing them especially thinking about new designs.

Ed Morgano
01-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Donny, you don't have a chance of using all of your wood up making those little things! You need to move on to larger pieces. Maybe duplex bird houses? :-)

Donny Lawson
01-09-2012, 6:37 PM
Donny, you don't have a chance of using all of your wood up making those little things! You need to move on to larger pieces. Maybe duplex bird houses? :-)

Ed, I would like to turn some big enough for the small "Red brested Blue Bird". I think they require a 1" hole so the birdhouse would have to be bigger.