PDA

View Full Version : Magma Bubble

Johnny Taylor
01-08-2012, 5:58 PM
I haven't posted anything here on the creek for a while so firstly 'Happy New Year' all:)

I hope the title of this is pretty self explanatory with regards to design but to be a bit more specific this is inspired by the way underwater erupting lava looks, the way it quickly cools and goes dark then suddenly cracks open as more lava breaks the cooled crust.
The piece is 5" tall minus the finial, carved, pyrograph textured, airbrushed and coloured with acrylic on the top and bottom parts. The finial is aluminium to tie into the silver applied to the black textured parts.
Comments and critiques welcomed.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/magmalittle008.jpg

David E Keller
01-08-2012, 6:33 PM
It's a cool piece, Johnny... Or should I say, it's a hot piece! I love the contrast between the two areas. For me the finial isn't necessary, and I think it detracts from the idea of molten magma although it is beautifully done. Great execution of an interesting inspiration!

ray hampton
01-08-2012, 6:55 PM
that is hot but what did you use ? wood ?

Scott Hackler
01-08-2012, 7:03 PM
Really cool piece Johnny. I love the texture and color contrast. The finial isn't doing it for me and looks "out of place". I have been thinking about how to "top it" and the only thing I can come up with might be a knob like topper that has the same "lava" texture.

Doug W Swanson
01-08-2012, 7:14 PM
Wow, now that is cool! Or should I say "Hot!"

charlie knighton
01-08-2012, 7:52 PM
nicely done, aptly named, i do lean a little to what Scott said, maybe an funnel shape

David DeCristoforo
01-08-2012, 8:24 PM
This makes three. I don't like the finial! Well... it's not that I don't like it. It just looks out of place on this form which, if you photoshop out the finial (Yes... I did) is awesome! The finial is really very nice... maybe you could use it on another piece...

Alan Trout
01-08-2012, 8:27 PM
I agree I don't think it needs the finial but it a really a cool piece.

Well Done

Alan

mickey cassiba
01-08-2012, 8:31 PM
Uh......WOW!

Eric Holmquist
01-08-2012, 8:35 PM
Great design idea and execution. I love it!

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Now that is just to cool. Really well done.

Jim Burr
01-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Maybe a yellow finial? To make it from aluminum is a feat on itself. You have done so much in so little space that the fact you made a(n) metal/alloy/something-other-than-wood-finial is great!! I think Photoshoping your work should be up to you, not those who couldn't make this...including me!!
Great work on all fronts and my hat is off to you!

Baxter Smith
01-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Very imaginative with a fitting title Johnny!

Steve Vaughan
01-09-2012, 6:43 AM
Very nice! Love the colors and love how you put all this together.

John Keeton
01-09-2012, 6:53 AM
Great inspiration, well conceived, and very well executed! The colors are great. Regarding the finial, I would add that you were the one with the concept and the mental image of what you were after, so for that reason it works!!

Betty Fox
01-09-2012, 9:42 AM
Beautiful piece.

Johnny Taylor
01-10-2012, 6:42 AM
Thanks for all the replies to this piece:)

With regards to the finial, I still don't mind it, I think it does tie in with the silver parts, it is after all a lidded finial form decorated in the style of a magma bubble as opposed to a realistic model but enough has been said to make me rethink and with hindsight a small textured orange/yellow ball would have suited better. I will leave this one as is but when I make another I will try the ball idea topper( or maybe something else entirely).

Thanks again for the opinions, I really appreciate them :)

Peter Blair
01-10-2012, 9:10 AM
Just wonderful Johnny!!! Including the finial.

Bruce Yasitis
01-10-2012, 2:20 PM
Excellent execution on an imaginative design... to the point that the explanation is really not necessary. Just the name and the piece puts one up close and personal with the flow.