PDA

View Full Version : Now I've done it!

shane lyall
01-08-2012, 4:58 PM
I was changing the motors on my jointer and I managed to break the pulley. I knew better but thought if I just tap it with the hammer it will pop right off. Well I tapped a little to hard and pop! not to bad just a sliver but its enough to throw it off ballance i'm sure. I didn't even bother to put it back on the new motor so I'm back to my old 6 inch Delta benchtop until I can get parts. I don't think it's the original. It's marked Browning and numbered 2AK34. It looks like some kind of cast? I expected it to be steel or I wouldnt have "tapped" it but maybe Im wrong? Are they all cast?The machine is a Powermatic model 60 and I think it's a 1969 model but haven't really researched the dating by serial number thing yet. Anyone had a problem like this before? Where can I get a new pulley that will be as good as OEM? ereplacment has them but I wanted to make sure before I order another cheapo replacement thats no better than I have. I'm headed to OWWM to see if anyone has one for sale as I'd love to have the same quality as what came on the jointer.

Van Huskey
01-08-2012, 5:13 PM
I wouldn't stress over finding a uber high quality one, I would just pick one up at Grainger if you have one locally.

BTW get a $20 gear puller instead of trying this again...:D

I have run plenty of "knicked" pulleys and never had any vibration issues, I might even epoxy it back in place and drive on if it is outside the belt mating surface.

Tom Welch
01-08-2012, 5:41 PM
I would not sweat it. Just go to to McMaster-Carr on line and order a new pulley. They list all the information you will need to measure your old pulley so you can order the same size. They also ship fast. Problem solved.

John Lanciani
01-08-2012, 6:36 PM
Browning is pretty much the gold standard in cast iron sheaves. The number on it is almost everything you need to order a replacement except for the bore. Either McMaster or Grainger (probably both) carries Browning so you'll likely have it in your hands by Tuesday.

Troy Turner
01-08-2012, 7:33 PM
Went to get a new capacitor for my table saw motor at a local electric motor repair shop and they guy had some made in the US pulleys. Picked up a couple and they work great. Just a thought if you don't want something shipped to you.

Kevin Presutti
01-08-2012, 9:23 PM
Shane,
You need to check the diameter of the motor shaft, this one is for 5/8".

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TB-WOODS-VBelt-Pulley-5UHG5?Pid=search (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TB-WOODS-VBelt-Pulley-5UHG5?Pid=search)

shane lyall
01-08-2012, 9:47 PM
BTW get a $20 gear puller instead of trying this again...:D

Thats the kicker Van, I have one! It's in the top right hand drawer of my tool box......at my son's house about an hour and a half away. LOL!

Van Huskey
01-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Thats the kicker Van, I have one! It's in the top right hand drawer of my tool box......at my son's house about an hour and a half away. LOL!

That ALWAYS happens!

Larry Edgerton
01-09-2012, 5:57 AM
Browning is pretty much the gold standard in cast iron sheaves. The number on it is almost everything you need to order a replacement except for the bore. Either McMaster or Grainger (probably both) carries Browning so you'll likely have it in your hands by Tuesday.

I will second that recommendation. I have improved many machines by replacing pulleys with Brownings. Take the time to get another Browning.