PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Air compressor Information

Randy Meijer
03-13-2005, 11:58 PM
I've been looking at small compressors.....Mostly for airing up bicycle tires and blowing sawdust. I don't anticipate using any air tools. I have found some that are oil-lubricated and some that are not. What are the pros and cons of an oil-lubricated system in a small compressor, if any, and does anyone have any recommendations for a specific compressor. I'm not going to be working this unit real hard so I probably don't need a top-of-the-line unit. Thanks.

Tony Falotico
03-14-2005, 6:18 AM
Noise is the biggest factor I found in air compressors. I had an oil-less direct drive AC that was so loud I couldn't stay in the garage when it was running. I sold it and got a oil-lubricated with belt drive, much quieter.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-14-2005, 8:30 AM
For your suggested usage, just about any air compressor will meet the bill. I would look at a small pancake compressor. The one that we have is very effiecient. In the smaller compressors they are going to be LOUD. For how fast they fill the tank, you may want to leave it off and only turn it on when you need it.

Jerry Olexa
03-14-2005, 6:39 PM
The oil-less compressors are convenient but LOUD!! Those with oil are quieter generally but require maintenance!

Rob Russell
03-14-2005, 6:43 PM
The biggest factor to noise level is motor RPM. If you can find a small compressor with a 1800 RPM motor vs. 3600 RPM, it will be quieter.

Randy Meijer
03-15-2005, 3:24 PM
I'm guessing that all "small" compressors use high RPM motors.....only way to get to the "SCFM" up without going to a bigger compressor??

No one has mentioned anything about durability??? Are oil-lubricated compressors inherently more durable or are both types about the same??

Randy Meijer
03-17-2005, 2:07 PM
Thought I would run this by everyone again to see if anyone has comments on the durability issue. Thanks!!

Wes Bischel
03-17-2005, 2:27 PM
Randy,

Just my opinion, I think most oil units last longer. When the price point gets low enough though, it becomes 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other - (i.e. cheap oil units versus higher priced oilless.) I have only purchased oil units - one almost 20 years ago, and a larger unit 4 years ago - both in fine shape.

If all you want to do is fill tires etc., there are small tankless units to do that - usually cheaper than the pancake or hotdog units.

Just food for though.

Wes

Rob Russell
03-17-2005, 6:07 PM
The oil-lubed ones will last longer.

Campbell Hausfeld makes some small units in the Homeowner and Contractor series which are lower RPM and designed to be quiet. Check out their website at Campbell Hausfeld (http://www.chpower.com).

My compressor is a CH that's basically anolder version of the VT6231. I think mine puts out a bit more air, don't remember off the top of my head.

Rob

Randy Meijer
03-19-2005, 2:28 AM
Thanks for all of the information guys. It is very much appreciated!! Think I'll do a little shopping this weekend and see what sort of a deal I can find locally.

Richard McComas
03-19-2005, 3:11 AM
I've been looking at small compressors.....Mostly for airing up bicycle tires and blowing sawdust. I don't anticipate using any air tools. I have found some that are oil-lubricated and some that are not. What are the pros and cons of an oil-lubricated system in a small compressor, if any, and does anyone have any recommendations for a specific compressor. I'm not going to be working this unit real hard so I probably don't need a top-of-the-line unit. Thanks.
I recently purchased the Makita MAC700 Air compressor that sounds like it may fit your needs.

http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/noname30.html