PDA

View Full Version : A few pieces completed since Christmas

Peter Blair
01-08-2012, 2:12 PM
Greetings everyone. Here are a few pieces that I have just added to my inventory.
You may notice that I have several 'dust' specks on these photos. Last time this occurred I was able to blow them away with a bulb type blower but not this time. I guess I'll have to have the camera professionally cleaned.
Here is my first foray into the world of color. The piece is titles "Pacific Sunset". It is spalted maple and is about 10 1/2 in x 3/4". Finished with WOP.
Here is small hollow form of Spalted Maple with a walnut rim. It is 4" x 3 1/2" wide with a wall thickness of about 3/16"
This one is my first attempt at a large (for me) hollow form. Done from wet Cherry it is 10" high and 5" wide. Wall thickness is 1/4 with a slightly thicker bottom. Again finished with beeswax and mineral oil.

Another spalted maple bowl. This is about 7" x 2 3/4" finished with beeswax and mineral oil. I have many, many once turned blanks that I rougher out over a year ago and am now trying to finish some of them. This one was a core from a much larger piece.

Thanks for looking and all comments pro and con are most welcome.

Brian Effinger
01-08-2012, 2:44 PM
Very nice work Pete. :) I'm really drawn to the cherry HF. I keep looking at the platter too. It makes me think of looking out at the ocean through the port hole of a ship.

Allan Ferguson
01-08-2012, 4:46 PM
All very nice work. Enjoyed seeing them.

John Keeton
01-08-2012, 5:09 PM
The cherry vase is very nice, and I like the spalted bowl, too. The platter is excellent, and should be sufficient to get you more interested in color. What dye did you use?

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2012, 5:11 PM
Nice work on all Peter but do like the cherry HF and the bowl is really nice.

Peter Blair
01-08-2012, 5:55 PM
Nice comments everyone. Thanks! John I am most interested in using color, now. I bought a kit of color tints from Wood Essence - Color FX concentrates. I have since done a small hollow form tinted and am presently working on a small vine maple tinted bowl. Even though I really enjoy turning I am the sort who gets bored very easily after completing something and am always looking for change. I guess that is the reason I have several carved wooden ducks in various stages of completion sitting on shelves in my shop, among other carved, burnt items.

David E Keller
01-08-2012, 6:38 PM
Quite an eclectic collection! The platter piece is very nice, but I wonder how the look would change if you would have 'framed' the blue area with a black line... Just thinking out loud there. Lovely curve on that cherry piece, and the spalt is about as good as it gets.

Peter Blair
01-08-2012, 6:54 PM
The black line is a great idea and I'm certain it would have helped 'pop' the blue area. I'll remember this and try it on a future piece I am already planning.
Thanks David.

Greg Just
01-08-2012, 6:58 PM
Cherry piece is my favorite. I like the platter too.

Peter Blair
01-08-2012, 7:43 PM
How do you find time to look at my work and watch the Steelers at the same time?

Dan Forman
01-08-2012, 7:47 PM
I think the cherry piece, though maybe the least dramatic, is the star of the show - the sapwood is the frosting on the cake. Love the spalted pieces to, thought the walnut collar doesn't work for me. The blue platter is interesting, the transparency over the spalting makes me think that I'm looking at structure under water.

Dan

Peter Blair
01-08-2012, 7:52 PM
Thanks Dan. Not sure about the walnut collar either. First one I've tried and possibly the last.

Jim Burr
01-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm really sorry I missed this from the start! First, the collar on the small HF could go or stay. Second...Wow!! Great color and border definition on the platter, Vase is beautiful in dimension and the bowl is one of my favorite shapes! Thanks for staying busy!!

Peter Blair
01-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks all for looking and comments. I continue to be so busy that I hardly have time to post here what with trying to keep up with my business and turn and maintain my web and blogs etc etc. Me thinks I try to hard! Gotta say the this board and it's Creekers continue to inspire to try new things which just keep adding to my enjoyment of spinning wood!!