PDA

View Full Version : witch way do the growth rings go

chris kelly
03-13-2005, 11:25 PM
I am about to start a project for my mother-in-law. I will be making her a few raised panel doors for her kitchen. They will be made from plain sawn hard maple.I milled the lumber and was getting ready to run the profiles on the router table when I thought to my self, does it matter witch way the growth rings go. I have made a few doors and never thought about it before. They are about 8 months old and I have not had a problem yet. So does it matter? I hope I explained my situation well enough to help. Thanks for any input

Lars Thomas
03-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Front or back, doesn't matter. If the grain has peaks (or catherdrals), I generally point them up.

Mark Singer
03-14-2005, 9:22 AM
if you join them alternate for stability and appearance.

Jim Becker
03-14-2005, 9:48 AM
This is one of the very, very, very few times I'll (slightly) disagree with Mark...growth rings should be oriented for the best looking panel! If altermating them gets you there, great. If not, good construction will help insure things stay flat.

Alan Turner
03-14-2005, 11:36 AM
My rule of thumb is: heart side outside. The reason for this is that a board will cup, if at all, such that the heart side of the wood is convex, and the bark side concave. I do not alternate grown rings unless there is a special reason to do so., but on this point there are at least 3 opinions. ( :