PDA

View Full Version : Old saw

Carl Beckett
01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
I was given another old tool at Xmas (was basically told to go down to the basement and dig around if there was anything I wanted). Last time I found an old #2C - virtually nothing else left (I thought), but then found this nice Disston.

Completely new to hand saws - this appears to be a 26" model, 5tpi. Maybe a D-8 pre 1929??? (reading and trying to match some of it from the Disston Institute web site.

It cuts well! In pretty good shape overall. (Im guessing that it has sat in a basement since the early 50's, and was still used by the owner (wifes grandfather) in the mid '40's). Im very pleased to have found it! :)

Andrae Covington
01-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Nice. Shiny plate and clear etch, can't complain about that.

Jim Koepke
01-08-2012, 1:14 PM
Drool, drool, drool…

jtk

Deane Allinson
01-08-2012, 1:44 PM
Great saw! It looks pre'28 with the 8 inside the D. Looks to be in exceptional condition. I was always told that you could find rip saws in great condition because table saws took over most ripping activities very early. It seems to be true.
Deane

Chris Vandiver
01-08-2012, 1:54 PM
That is definitely a pre 1928 thumb hole rip saw. The medallion will tell the story. If it has a "PHILADA" medallion, it may even be between 1896-1917. Handle shape looks more like 1917-1928 touogh. Medallion should say "PHILA". That saw is in excellent condition. It is worth some bucks!

Jeff L Miller
01-08-2012, 2:34 PM
What Chris said above, nice saw!

Lets see, a Stanley #2C and a nearly pristine Disston D 8 from the same basement and a family member to boot. I'd be looking into every nook and cranny for more treasures. Great find!

Jeff

Carl Beckett
01-08-2012, 3:32 PM
Thanks guys, I knew you would all have some insights.

Here is a shot of the medallion - does say PHILA.

And the really interesting part is that the family has a second vacation home, where 'all the old tools are...' I was invited to take a look next time there.

And if its really valuable I would like to know (and would even be open to donating to a museum if there is a such a thing, the family would appreciate seeing it go somewhere like that). Would never sell it, and my plan was to just use it (am doing a migration from power tools to hand tools, so its quite timely).

Chris Vandiver
01-08-2012, 3:35 PM
Can we come too?:)

So with the "PHILA" medallion, your saw dates somewhere between 1917-1928.

Jim Koepke
01-08-2012, 3:44 PM
Carl,

Hang on to them and take care of them.

Someday someone in your family tree will be saying thanks to you.

jtk

Brian Kent
01-08-2012, 4:51 PM
I sure like the look of holy rip saw handles.

Dan Carroll
01-08-2012, 8:29 PM
As someone that is making the power tool the hand tool journey, welcome to the slippery slope. One word, years ago when cleaning out my Dad's tools, there were many tools that I thought were worthless and unusable. Now that I know more about hand tools, I really wish I had kept alot more of his tools. As you learn how differnet tasks are done with hand tools, you will recall some of those old tools. Just make sure you can still lay your hands no them when the knowledge comes your way. And I bet that old vacation house does have a treasure trove. Happy rust hunting.

Jim Neeley
01-08-2012, 8:51 PM
I've seen pictures of thumb hold ?D-8's? and really find the handle style attractive. Are the thumb holes designed for only right handed use or is the design symmetrical? A curious lefty wants to know. <g>

Jim in Alaska

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Lovely! It's always a joy to have a tool with a history. Sometimes I get something with an owners mark on it and I wonder about who used this tool before me. It's always a joy to keep something like that working, but even more when you have a connection to it.

I got into handtools just a little too late to have received a bunch of tools from my pépère. I was curious if I was related in anyway to Charles Amidon (one of the co-founders of Millers Falls) and I knew my mémère had a long history of the Amidon family we're related too, going back to France, so I asked my mother if she had a copy of it. (I never got around to figuring out the answer.) When they found out about my renewed interest in woodwork after discovering handtools, they wished they had passed the old tools along to me. That's how life goes sometime. I hope whoever received them in the end is finding some joy in them, though. My family was never very well off, and they always stretched the most use out of everything, so maybe they would have all been low quality or used up, I don't know.

Andrae Covington
01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys, I knew you would all have some insights.

Here is a shot of the medallion - does say PHILA.

And the really interesting part is that the family has a second vacation home, where 'all the old tools are...' I was invited to take a look next time there.

And if its really valuable I would like to know (and would even be open to donating to a museum if there is a such a thing, the family would appreciate seeing it go somewhere like that). Would never sell it, and my plan was to just use it (am doing a migration from power tools to hand tools, so its quite timely).

Because of the condition, the saw is relatively valuable compared to most, but on the other hand, Disston produced millions of these things. Putting it to use would be a good choice, IMO.

Andrae Covington
01-09-2012, 1:03 PM
I've seen pictures of thumb hold ?D-8's? and really find the handle style attractive. Are the thumb holes designed for only right handed use or is the design symmetrical? A curious lefty wants to know. <g>

Jim in Alaska

Unfortunately for southpaws, the thumbhole handle is not symmetrical. The thumbhole itself is relatively neutral and the thumb of your "off" hand can fit in from either left or right. But the trough behind the thumbhole on the medallion side of the handle fits the thumb of the right hand, with the assumption that the right hand is the driving hand. This trough does not exist on the other side of the handle.

john brenton
01-10-2012, 9:26 AM
You wouldn't want to donate it to a museum, but selling it could bring you some bucks. I would check out ebay and see what similar saws are going for...if you can find anything in similar condition. That is very nice. I'm sure it's a fantastic user, but there may be other tools that you have need of and you may not be impressed with a shiney plate. I know that I'm not. I would much rather have enough money to buy a tool that I want AND a Disston that is a little beat up.

I've never regretted selling an item at a high price.