PDA

View Full Version : Sissoo Salad Bowl set

Kathy Marshall
01-08-2012, 12:53 AM
I was asked to turn a salad bowl set by my stepsister and today I finished the last bowl.
The big bowl is about 11 1/2 x 4 and the serving bowls are 7 3/4 x 2 1/4 except for the one in front which I failed to measure correctly and came out 2 3/8" deep :mad:, by the time I noticed, the walls were already turned and it was too thin to try and take any off the top. I'll probably end up turning another to replace it.
They've all got a coat or 2 of Walnut oil.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

thomas prusak
01-08-2012, 12:59 AM
I was asked to turn a salad bowl set by my stepsister and today I finished the last bowl.
The big bowl is about 11 1/2 x 4 and the serving bowls are 7 3/4 x 2 1/4 except for the one in front which I failed to measure correctly and came out 2 3/8" deep :mad:, by the time I noticed, the walls were already turned and it was too thin to try and take any off the top. I'll probably end up turning another to replace it.

They've all got a coat or 2 of Walnut oil.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Absolutely beautiful!!! Nicest set I've ever seen

David E Keller
01-08-2012, 1:00 AM
Sweet bowls from some sweet looking wood! Are sissoo trees on the endangered list in AZ yet?:p:D

Marty Eargle
01-08-2012, 1:05 AM
Completely beautiful! Good, clean form...but wood that sets those bad boys apart from all other sets.

I am very excited to make something similar from the chuck you sent me. I've already made a pen from a piece when I was squaring the chunk up and it was a pleasure.

Steve Schlumpf
01-08-2012, 1:10 AM
Beautiful set! Your stepsister is going to love it! Hate to see you turn another bowl. Have you considered jam chucking it to trim the edge down some?

Jeff Fagen
01-08-2012, 1:37 AM
I have never turned a set before,I imagine the duplicating would be difficult.
She will only bring these out with the fine china,beautiful!

Dan Forman
01-08-2012, 2:43 AM
Kathy --- Those are just gorgeous, love the mix of heart and sap wood. Your stepsister is a lucky lady.

Dan

Kathy Marshall
01-08-2012, 2:47 AM
Thanks guys!

David, it's not on the endangered list yet, but I'm giving it my best effort!

Beautiful set! Your stepsister is going to love it! Hate to see you turn another bowl. Have you considered jam chucking it to trim the edge down some?
Thanks Steve, I hadn't thought of that. I may give it a try tomorrow.

I have never turned a set before,I imagine the duplicating would be difficult.
She will only bring these out with the fine china,beautiful!
These are pretty consistent, but if/when I do another set I'll make a template to get them closer to identical and also speed things up a bit.

Richard Jones
01-08-2012, 7:16 AM
Gorgeous, great form and beautiful wood. I love the contrast.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Michelle Rich
01-08-2012, 8:27 AM
You know I love this wood, because of the color contrast..so vivid. You get rave reviews from me for these

Baxter Smith
01-08-2012, 8:38 AM
Great wood and a great set. Some people like more salad than others so I wouldn't worry about the bigger one!

Steve Campbell
01-08-2012, 8:45 AM
Kathy, Those are the nicest set of bowls I can remember seeing. The wood is great with the heart and sap wood. I can turn a fairly good bowl, But to turn a full set that match that well. I am impressed. I can't make two of anything look alike.
Thanks for showing us.

Steve

Jerry Marcantel
01-08-2012, 8:46 AM
Beautiful, Kathy. You do any wood justice. One question, you have the bowls next to your headstock on the ways. Are the chips really that deep around your lathe????? hehe......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-08-2012, 9:09 AM
Sweet X 5. Were any of these cored Kathy? If so, you are becoming a coring wizard.
faust

Pete Jordan
01-08-2012, 9:12 AM
Wow Kathy!

One of the nicest sets I have ever seen!

Tim Rinehart
01-08-2012, 9:19 AM
Kathy, those are gorgeous. I also wouldn't get too concerned about the one bowl that differs, they are hand made, and a little difference goes a long way towards reinforcing that and making them more special than the ones that you get from stores that have that "exact" look to each one.
Beautiful contrast...I can't wait to work the sissoo you sent me!

Nate Davey
01-08-2012, 9:26 AM
Spectacular Kathy, I like how you changed the rim between the big and small bowls. That Sissoo is gorgeous!

Doug W Swanson
01-08-2012, 9:27 AM
Kathy, those bowls are gorgeous! I may have to go turn that Sissoo you gave me today!

Hayes Rutherford
01-08-2012, 9:32 AM
Very attractive set and your posts have educated me on what Sisoo is.

Kathy, are these twice turned and do you combine operations when you make a set? In other words, do you turn all the outsides to completion, then turn all the insides?

Greg Just
01-08-2012, 9:33 AM
Beautiful set. I never seem to have enough of one wood to make that many bowls. Never heard of sissoo; must not grow in this part of the country.

Curt Fuller
01-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Kathy, that's one of the prettiest sets of bowls I've seen. As for the one bowl being a little bigger than the rest, well that bowl would be mine. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
01-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Beautiful salad bowl set Kathy. I have did a couple of sets and it is hard without a template to get them all the same. Wood is beautiful.

Justin Stephen
01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Those look fantastic.

Donny Lawson
01-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Kathy, those are absolutly beautiful. The colors in that is very striking and I think I need a truck load of that. What kind of finish are you putting on them?

Brian Effinger
01-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Great looking bowls - I'm sure your sister will love them. Pretty wood too. I an see why you like Sissoo so much.

Rich Aldrich
01-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Beautiful wood and nice bowl set. She is going to really like the set.

John Keeton
01-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Nice, clean work, Kathy!! That wood is just awesome with all that contrast and banded color.

Steve bellinger
01-08-2012, 1:09 PM
Kathy you did one heck of a good job on this set. That wood helps also, but it was you that brought the best out in it.

Peter Blair
01-08-2012, 1:36 PM
Wonderful bowls Kathy. As far as the one larger one goes I think it would make the set perfect. The great thing about wood and wooden items is that they are not plastic or machine made and I always find it nice that there are differences. Great looking wood and your work is exemplary!

charlie knighton
01-08-2012, 1:39 PM
lucky sister

Kathy Marshall
01-08-2012, 2:19 PM
Thanks for the additional comments!

Beautiful, Kathy. You do any wood justice. One question, you have the bowls next to your headstock on the ways. Are the chips really that deep around your lathe????? hehe......... Jerry (in Tucson)
Just around the backside, I did have to knock the pile down a little so the bowls wouldn't slide down onto the ways :eek:. Every time I clean up shavings I think about cleaning up behind the lathe, but it just makes such a perfect little table and tool rack, so I just try to keep it about level with the ways and not let it get too high!

Sweet X 5. Were any of these cored Kathy? If so, you are becoming a coring wizard.
faust
These were not cored Faust. I don't have too much sissoo left, most of it smaller diameter, and I didn't want to risk ruining any of the blanks for this set. My next coring attempt will probably be with the chinese elm I got a couple weeks ago. I've got one log big enough for a decent coring and if I mess it up it won't hurt as much. The elm is nice, but doesn't compare to the sissoo.

Spectacular Kathy, I like how you changed the rim between the big and small bowls. That Sissoo is gorgeous!
Thanks Nate! Actually, you can thank Dan Foreman. He posted some bowls with the outward sloping rims (which I really like) just in time for me to copy, errrr be inspired by.

Beautiful set. I never seem to have enough of one wood to make that many bowls. Never heard of sissoo; must not grow in this part of the country.
Dalbergia sissoo is Indian Rosewood. If you get snow in the winter it won't be growing up there. Anywhere with mild winters probably has some, they are planted pretty heavily around here.

Very attractive set and your posts have educated me on what Sisoo is.

Kathy, are these twice turned and do you combine operations when you make a set? In other words, do you turn all the outsides to completion, then turn all the insides?
These were all turned green to final size, one at a time.

Kathy, those are absolutly beautiful. The colors in that is very striking and I think I need a truck load of that. What kind of finish are you putting on them?
I'd like a truck load too! I've only gotten sissoo twice in the last year and a half. It seems to be a strong tree, I've never seen one go down in a storm so I just have to pray that lots of people will want them removed.
I'm just putting walnut oil on these as they'll be used regularly.

Allan Ferguson
01-08-2012, 4:50 PM
I absolutely love that wood with the contrast. Wish we had something like it around here. Great turning job.

Scott Hackler
01-08-2012, 5:39 PM
I can't believe you used that horrible ditch weed, Sissoo! :)

They really look great Kathy and to have it work out to have the sapwood .....well that takes the cake. She is going to love them! Best looking bowl set I have seen in quite a while (and not just because of the Sissoo!)

Thomas Heck
01-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Beautiful set of bowls. You did a great job!

steven carter
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
Sissoo....weet! Really nice salad bowl set, I'm sure it will be a favorite for years to come.

Tom Winship
01-11-2012, 5:39 PM
Kathy, what happened to the set you made the big bowl for. Did you sell the sissoo or mesquite?

Bob Bergstrom
01-11-2012, 10:40 PM
That is a really nice set. Look good enough to eat out of, but the look so good I would never be able to do it. Great turning job as usual.

Kathy Marshall
01-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Tom, this is the set. The big bowl is in the pic, just doesn't look as big since the serving bowls are pretty good sized too. She'll be getting the sissoo since I haven't made a set out of mesquite yet.