PDA

View Full Version : 12volt to AC converter?

Bob Nieman
03-13-2005, 11:02 PM
I would like to be able to plug in my sirius radio with radio transmitter without turning on the car. The particular model I have does not have separate car and home kits (the home option is a boombox, too big and too nice for my shop, and I have to fight my daughter for it)

If I could find away to plug the car lighter adapter into something, I could broadcast to the radio in my shop, which would sure beat everything on the radio around here. I have no idea what I am looking for. I see plenty of adapters to plug in things into the car, but I want to do the opposite. Any ideas?

Bob

Keith Outten
03-14-2005, 6:26 AM
Bob,

Try Radio Shack or any electronics retail shop, you should be able to find a power supply that outputs 12 volts DC. We have one in our office for cell phones, it has three of the cigarette lighter female plugs built in and I think the price was about 20 bucks.

Carl Eyman
03-14-2005, 9:18 AM
Are you familiar with the portable 12v booster batteries you can buy to jump start your car when you leave the lights on - as I do. They are under $40, have a lighter socket, built in charger, and when you get old and forgetful (like me) you can start your car after leaving your lights on.

Bob Nieman
03-14-2005, 1:54 PM
Thanks, I will take a trip to the Shack (I may live in the middle of nowhere, but we have one of those) and check it out. If that doesn't work the battery idea might be the ticket.

Carl Eyman
03-14-2005, 2:43 PM
Bob:
Just a word of caution about a 12v power supply. If it is not a filtered supply, you may be subject to a lot of hum. The usual plug in cube that puts out 12v to charge batteries in a device is more often than not unfiltered. While it will charge the batteries fine, if you try to listen to your tape recorder, or whatever while the thing is plugged in, you will hear a 60 cycle hum from the alternating current.