PDA

View Full Version : Central Arkansas lumber sources

Garrett Ellis
01-07-2012, 11:59 PM
I've been to sunset hardwoods and have heard about Les Steen's place. Have also read a little about Hogan's from searching but cannot find much information online about it - are they still in business?

Is there anywhere else to buy lumber? Any sawmills around that will sell to individuals? I'd like to find a source for rough sawn wood but haven't had any luck searching online.

Any help?

Derek Gilmer
01-08-2012, 8:06 AM
There are a few guys that post on the LR craigslist. What kind of stuff are you looking for?

Jim Matthews
01-08-2012, 8:10 AM
You might also try www.woodfinder.com - those listings are more likely retailers.
Perhaps that could generate a lead?

Bill White
01-08-2012, 2:21 PM
I have heard that Hogan is gone. It is a shame 'cause they were a good company.
Bill

Dan Case LR
02-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Garrett, did you ever find a good hardwood source in Central Arkansas? I'm also in Little Rock, and after a few years of inactivity I'm cleaning up the shop and trying to get back in gear and finding the same challenges. Back when I was doing a lot of woodworking, I bought from Paxton (over on Sears Drive) and Hogan (when they were in Jacksonville). Apparently neither survived the recession. :(

I've not been to Sunset yet. How was your experience there?

Last I knew, Les Steen was only open on Wednesday and Saturday mornings, and I've never been able to get there at those times. From what I've heard, I wish I could.

D.

Garrett Ellis
02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Garrett, did you ever find a good hardwood source in Central Arkansas? I'm also in Little Rock, and after a few years of inactivity I'm cleaning up the shop and trying to get back in gear and finding the same challenges. Back when I was doing a lot of woodworking, I bought from Paxton (over on Sears Drive) and Hogan (when they were in Jacksonville). Apparently neither survived the recession. :(

I've not been to Sunset yet. How was your experience there?

Last I knew, Les Steen was only open on Wednesday and Saturday mornings, and I've never been able to get there at those times. From what I've heard, I wish I could.

D.

No, haven't found anything other than those 2, but I haven't really been looking very hard, I've got a couple other projects to finish up first.

I liked sunset, the guy there (can't remember his name) was very helpful. And they have a lot of species. They also have a bin that is all $1.50 bdft, but it looked to be mostly poplar. Would be good if you are making a set of drawers.

I haven't been to Les Steen but have a friend that has and he was just as happy with his service there. As far as I know it is still only open Wed/Sat.

I think I go so long between buying lumber that I forget how much it costs... Just wish I could find some rougher material, now that I've got a decent set of planes to flatten/straighten my own wood, to try and save some money. And I've got more time than money to work with ;)

Jerome Hanby
02-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Dressing your own often yields thicker pieces too. Nice for table tops and other places where you don't have thickness dictated ahead of time.

Gabe Neal
02-01-2012, 1:57 PM
Guys I know it is a little North of you but I found a small wood shop in West Branson, MO this year called UTC Hardwoods. The couple were very nice and helpfull. He stated they were selling just wholesale but now he his selling retail also. Everyone in our part of the country seems to navigate toward Branson once every two to three years. Look them up next time you're in that area.

Dan Case LR
02-01-2012, 2:53 PM
Dressing your own often yields thicker pieces too. Nice for table tops and other places where you don't have thickness dictated ahead of time.

Not to mention justifying the cost of that planer... :)

D.

Jerome Hanby
02-01-2012, 3:05 PM
Planers (and other woodworking tools) are like little girls and butterflys, they need no excuse!

Not to mention justifying the cost of that planer... :)

D.

Dan Case LR
02-08-2012, 2:22 PM
I went out to Sunset Premium Hardwoods today to pick up a little Maple for my current workbench project. I felt like a kid turned loose in Toys R Us. Tremendous array of exotics (domestic too), real Baltic Birch plywood, very friendly and accommodating. Prices weren't bad either.

I'll definitely be back. A lot. :)

D.