PDA

View Full Version : Just installed my pattern makers vise

Joe Cowan
01-07-2012, 9:31 PM
I was planning on lining both sides of the vise with wood to soften the clamping pressure against my various projects. With the one I have, purchased from Highland, it has a place on one side to mount a bevel angle attachment and on the other side it has two keyholes . I was wondering how, or if, anyone with this vise has mounted wood to the metal face on each side. If so, was it attached with adhesive or some screws? I suppose I could use the keyholes to attach the wood on one side, but that does not help the other side with the provision for the bevel clamp attachment.

Jim Matthews
01-07-2012, 9:52 PM
I've seen these lined with hard leather pads, instead of wood.
This can be applied with 3M spray #77.

Larry Fox
01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
While I don't have the same vise as you do, I line the jaws of my Emmert with stick-on cork. When it gets beat up I scrape it off and re-apply. I like the idea of thick leather though and might look into it in the future.

Joe Cowan
01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
What is the source for the thick leather? One issue I have is I built a new workbench from a plan in Popular Woodworking prior to getting the vise. I now have the vise mounted and the beam hits the top stretcher before it gets all the way closed. I have to use something like the cord or wood to make it so I can close the vise.