PDA

View Full Version : New Router Table Top - Need Suggestions for Edging

Glen Blanchard
03-13-2005, 10:22 PM
I just finished building a new router table top to accomodate my Jointech Smart Lift digital (purchased on Friday at the woodworking show in Orlando while on vacation there - they had some there ready for purchase) on my Bench Dog table. I used 1" MDF and placed plastic laminate on each side. Now how should I treat the edges?

Any recommendations appreicated.

Jim Becker
03-13-2005, 10:25 PM
I generally wrap the substrate with hardwood before I put on the laminate. That way you have the nice edge without any discontinuity on the top that could eventually catch or mar a workpiece. (The laminate is over the edge, too) It also makes for a nice highlight when you do a brief chamfer on the edge. I used oak on my first router table for this and my current top is framed with walnut.

Corey Hallagan
03-13-2005, 10:32 PM
I think I am going to trim mine ( When I do it) with oak. Some use a slot cutter and use the rubber edging around it. I think the transition will be better with a hardwood as Jim suggests. If it's good enough for Norm, it is good enough for me!

Corey

Glen Blanchard
03-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Some use a slot cutter and use the rubber edging around it.
Corey
This is the way the stock Bench Dog table top came and I was planning on doing the same thing. Problem is I need 1 1/8" wide material and only see this stuff in 13/16". Any ideas where these are available?

Corey Hallagan
03-14-2005, 12:16 AM
Man, that is hard to find! Found one, however, you have to buy bulk. It's out there as this is used on alot of cabinet and commercial furniture applications. Good luck.

Corey

http://www.tapeease.com/t-moldin.htm

Pat Salter
03-14-2005, 2:11 AM
Call a few local cabinet shops and see if they may have some of the wide stuff laying around.

Corey Hallagan
03-15-2005, 9:04 PM
Glen, I happened to be reading Shop Notes tonight and they had a small piece on TMolding and Slot Cutters. They gave a resource:
http://www.t-molding.com
They don't have 1 1/8 but they do have 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch. Not sure if this could be cut down or not. It's a thought anyway. They specialize in molding used on arcade machine cabinets. Hope this helps.

Corey

Byron Trantham
03-15-2005, 9:06 PM
Mine is laminated MDF with an oak edge. The lift is Woodpecker's

Jim DeLaney
03-15-2005, 9:18 PM
I edged mine with cherry, and beveled the edge about 15° all around.