PDA

View Full Version : new D-way bowl gouge

Bill Bolen
01-07-2012, 6:15 PM
I've been needing a replacement for my Thompson 3/8" bowl gouge for some time. I was down to only 1 3/4" of flute remaining. Doug has been out of stock for sometime so I decided to try a D-way. (kinda feel like a traitor here). I must say the D-way is quite an impressive little gouge. I roughed out two cherry and a walnut bowl ( all smallish in the 10" range) and the little thing is still going strong not needing a trip to the grinder yet. All the blanks still had the bark on and had to go thought that also. The flute seems to be ground a bit deeper than Doug's. Had a great fingernail grind on it from Dave and even had the secondary bevel started. Plus it is SHINEY. http://www.woodturnersresource.com/yabb2files/Templates/Forum/woody/cheesy.gif . Cuts just as smooth as can be. Cost is a few $$ more than Doug but a whole bunch less than the Glaser. I'll let you know about edge holding after I finally need a trip to the grinder.

Ron Bontz
01-07-2012, 6:28 PM
It will be interesting to see how it holds up for you. I have had shaper cutter inserts made from M4 steel and they held up very well. Congrats on the tool.

Jim Burr
01-07-2012, 7:32 PM
I have 2 of his beaders and wouldn't trade 'em. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Ralph Lindberg
01-08-2012, 12:23 AM
There are things I really like about Dave's tools. He ships them as sharp as he can get them, with the all surfaces polished. The little hole drilled on the other end is for hanging for the heat treat process.
I have five of his beading tools and one of his skews.

Dan Forman
01-08-2012, 2:46 AM
My V's are Thompson, U's are D-Way, really like them both - hate to have to pick a favorite.

Dan

Reed Gray
01-08-2012, 11:53 AM
I do have one D Way gouge. It is more V shaped than Dougs, but not as V shaped as the Glaser. Good tool, but I like the flute shape of Doug's tools better. Dave did mention tumbling his tools in beads before sharpening to remove milling marks.

robo hippy

John Keeton
01-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Bill, glad you like the D-Way! I have several Thompsons, with which I have been pleased, but I also have a D-Way 1/2" bowl gouge that I am finding to be my "go to" gouge. I like the M42 steel, and Dave gets them to 67-68 Rockwell, which seems to be the optimum. It holds an edge extremely well, and I like the profile. The polished flute seems to make a difference, as well.