PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Cherry Core

Nate Davey
01-07-2012, 3:33 PM
A good day in the shop today, and it's not over yet. I buddy from work who is getting sucked into The Vortex, aided by a Spartan style push from me. Helped him finish a bowl he started a month or so ago. Then, one of the pieces of cherry Tim Rinehart sent me home with needed some attention. I decided to core it and use the core a small hollow form. The bowl is roughed, wrapped in brown paper and set on the shelf, sure hope it doesn't crack. This is on of the most figured pieces of cherry I've ever seen. Thanks again Tim. Tonight, a little thread chasing practice so I can finish up another project.

David E Keller
01-07-2012, 3:35 PM
Looks like a nice core! Tim sent me a smaller chunk of that stuff a short while ago, and it's got the craziest color I've ever seen in cherry... I'm still trying to figure out what's inside it. I've tried listening to it, but I think the wax is too thick to let the voices out.

Nate Davey
01-07-2012, 3:43 PM
I don't hear the voices until I'm cutting on it........lets not amplify on that statement any.

Dan Forman
01-07-2012, 4:09 PM
That's a great looking bowl! Knowing cherry's tendency to rack, especially with that much sapwood in the mix, I would just wax the whole thing and wait the for it to dry, rather than just bagging it. I ordinarily bag and have good luck, but out 9 walnut bowls recently, I had 3 crack on me, and two of those were in the sap wood. That one is just too pretty to take a chance with IMO.

Dan

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-07-2012, 4:22 PM
Nate,
Don't let that core hang around in a paper bag too long. Cherry is not very forgiving when a thick piece is left to dry. And that core has been living in a very wet cocoon and the part that is newly exposed to air will give up moisture quickly. If the bowl is any indication of the color and grain in the hollow form blank, you don't want to take any chances with it. If you expect to hollow it in the next few days, throw it in a bucket of water and let it soak. Change the water every few days until you are ready to shape and rough hollow it.
faust

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2012, 4:29 PM
Wow - that is cool! The core looks like Cherry but the bowl looks like Apple! Must be a hybrid...

Nate Davey
01-07-2012, 4:56 PM
Thanks Dan and Faust, I've added some AS to the bowl blank and I'm roughing out the hf the blank.

Steve, definitely on odd piece of cherry, I almost wonder if it were decorative cherry as the bark is very different from the cherry I'm accustomed to turning.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-07-2012, 6:00 PM
Nate,
Decorative cherry is really soft and the annual rings are much larger due to the fast growth. It also will be without the black resin pockets commonly found in Black cherry. Still great looking stuff.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2012, 7:00 PM
That's going to be one nice bowl Nate. Can't wait to see the HF. I agree with Dan. I don't DNA or bag anymore. Way to many cracks. I just paint the whole bowl or HF with anchorseal, put it on the floor in the cool room and let her dry. I have around 50 or 60 bowls in varies states of drying and one has a crack. Caught it early and CA'd it. So far it is holding.

Donny Lawson
01-07-2012, 7:36 PM
Looks great. I hope it doesn't crack.

Jim Burr
01-07-2012, 7:41 PM
Super wow Nate!! That is some great looking wood. Really hope it stays together for you!!

Tim Rinehart
01-07-2012, 8:41 PM
Nice work Nate. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too that it makes it. You know where to get more!

Mike Cruz
01-07-2012, 9:49 PM
I usually find Cherry to be overappreciated. Not really the biggest fan. But when it looks like that, it is one of my favorites! Gotta love turners...we LOVE the stuff that would be thrown away by the furniture makeres...

Baxter Smith
01-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Great looking bowl. Have to agree with Steve on the outer part looking like apple.

Kathy Marshall
01-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Great bowl Nate and cool looking cherry! Look forward to seeing the HF turned.