PDA

View Full Version : SYP now available in N VA & WV

Paul Saffold
01-07-2012, 3:08 PM
I've been looking for some syp 2X for an upcoming project. It hadn't been available in my area but 84 Lumber has been stocking it for about 4 months in Martinsburg, WV. They have it in 2x6 and up. I was told that the stores on Ranson, WV and Front Royal, VA also carry it. Maybe others but the clerk only knew about those locations. So if you've been looking without successes, try 84 Lumber stores, they might have it. Also you can drive your vehicle right up to the lumber stacks. They kind of frown on that at Lowe's and HD.

John A. Callaway
01-07-2012, 4:07 PM
Its funny... You guys long for southern yellow pine up there.... and down here you cant walk fifty feet in any direction and not see a southern yellow pine tree... and all we want down here is a real lumber dealer that sells and stocks large amounts of hardwoods...

Matthew N. Masail
01-07-2012, 6:26 PM
Its funny... You guys long for southern yellow pine up there.... and down here you cant walk fifty feet in any direction and not see a southern yellow pine tree... and all we want down here is a real lumber dealer that sells and stocks large amounts of hardwoods...

I know what you mean, it's pretty much the same way around here.

Andrew Mason
03-04-2012, 4:37 PM
Thanks very much for the tip Paul. I just got back from the Mt. Airy MD 84 Lumber where I was able to pickup enough 2x12's of SYP to make my workbench.

jeff . whitaker
03-05-2012, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=John A. Callaway;1846195]Its funny... You guys long for southern yellow pine up there.... and down here you cant walk fifty feet in any direction and not see a southern yellow pine tree... and all we want down here is a real lumber dealer that sells and stocks large amounts of hardwoods...[/QUOT

Amen Brother Callaway......
* wondering if I would get caught if I made up north for some Black Walnut*

Rick Lapp
03-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Here in Central PA we have all manner of native hardwoods; available pretty cheaply if you can buy green and wait. I am willing to bet if Chris Swartz lived here people all over the country would by looking for ash. Wood for a roubo need not be the best and the clearest either. While I agree that Chris's rationale for using SYP if perfectly reasonable for his region, he makes it clear in his books and webposts that one ought to use whatever is readily available and local. Rick