PDA

View Full Version : Couple Cedar Bowls

Thomas Heck
01-07-2012, 2:07 PM
Just finished these. The bottom on the one is not the best. I cut the tenon to small at first and had to change it. Any critiques will be fine. Probably around 4-5 inch bowls. The one still mounted is a little bigger, maybe 8 inches. I just cut out the inside and now am working on sanding.

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2012, 2:31 PM
Wow - your Cedar looks a lot like the Walnut I've turned! Really a dark coloring to it!

About the only suggestion I can offer at this point is to work a little more on rounding over the bottoms so that you don't have that sharp angle to it. Not a big deal - just something to work on! The bowl on the lathe shows a lot of promise! Looking forward to seeing it once finished!

Thomas Heck
01-07-2012, 3:13 PM
Your right Steve, those are walnut. I was typing and not paying much attention to what I was typing. I had been working on a piece of cedar and must of had it on my mind.

charlie knighton
01-07-2012, 7:25 PM
very nice, i like all the white sapwood you have

Jim Burr
01-07-2012, 7:40 PM
Nice work so far Thomas! Good job keeping the bark on the walnut, not easy to do. The shape on the second one has, IMO, a big flat spot from the shoulder to the foot...that's a hard shape to do...that's why I don't do 'em!! Really like the heft...it'll old M&M's just fine. Looking forward to seeing the one on the chuck!

Baxter Smith
01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Smooth curves will come with practice! The one on the still on the lathe looks like the best in that regard!

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Really nice bowss.