PDA

View Full Version : Any Dodge pickup experts here?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2012, 1:14 PM
I have done my fair share of auto mechanicing but after breaking my back 10 years ago and then the newer cars became so heavily computerized, I let my dealer do it.

My oldest son has a mid-2000 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup and he wants me to help change the alternator.

In the past on earlier model cars, I'd disconnect the battery first, change the alternator, adjust the belt tension and then reconnect the battery.

I'm concerned about disconnecting the battery on this one because of the comuter losing power, possibly disabling it and he'd end up having to go to a dealer or mechanic to get the computer reset.

Anybody have any knowledge about this?

Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
01-07-2012, 1:59 PM
The OBD II vehicles, roughly since 1996 only lose the radio settings when the battery is removed for a short time. Some will in fact lose the computer memory after about 1/2 hour, but don't need re-setting, they just have to "re-learn" the driver habits over the next 500-1000 miles. I had my son's 1996 Dakota battery out many times for various reasons with no ill effects. After about 2002 the Chrysler products (like our jeep) even retain the radio memory. The only real problem is if there was a computer software upgrade for a problem that was done by the dealer and you have the batter out too long it may be lost. I would suggest having everything ready to go and try to get it done in about 20 minutes if possible. On our 2002 Liberty I had the battery disconnected for an hour just last weekend and everything was fine after.

John McClanahan
01-07-2012, 2:52 PM
I have a 1998 Dakota. I don't see any problems in doing it as you describe. You may loose the radio presets and clock. The computer will re-learn your habits.

Bob Turkovich
01-07-2012, 3:39 PM
Ken,

As noted by Joe and John, you should have no problems other than radio preset (not likely) and clock (likely). Should not be any "re-learn" either or loss of software updates.

Mike Langford
01-07-2012, 4:09 PM
Snap-On and other tool mfrgs. make this simple tool to save your info while the battery is out (up to 4 hrs)
Uses a 9V battery....
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=11239&group_ID=1453&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

But for Chrysler appications you'll need this one....120VAC
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=11240&PartNo=YA961&group_id=1453&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

Bryan Morgan
01-07-2012, 6:48 PM
Keep in mind if you have to smog it anytime soon don't disconnect the computer for too long. If theres not enough data in there the smog computer will fail you. Might not be a problem in a free state but its something we have to watch for here. I blow the data out of my computer a couple times a year when the temperature changes and traffic patterns change (summer vacation, less traffic, etc) but I use a Canoscan to do it.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2012, 6:50 PM
Thanks guys. That might have been the easiest alternator change I've ever done. The alternator was at the top front of the engine. 2 bolts, 1 stud holding it on. The belt had a spring loaded tensioner. I removed the belt, and all the bolts. Then I removed the battery cable, removed the two cables on alternator. Then reversed the procedure. It took less than 1/2 hour total.