PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic jointer, Delta shaper, Craftsman and TONS of other stuff gloat

shane lyall
01-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I posted a while back about a jointer I found for sale. With holidays and tight work schedule I just got the stuff home today. I got to his shop and ended up buying a ton of stuff. P-C 690 with tramel guide=$50, Senco pin nailer=$35, Powermatic model 60 jointer=$450, Old Delta shaper=$100, box of 22 cutters for the shaper about half still with wax so brand new or at least sharp=$100. The jointer is 3 phase but he gave me a 3hp Century motor to replace the one now on the jointer for free! I have a 1.5 horse on an old contractor saw that may fit the jointer as 3hp seems overkill. I have a spare 3hp 3 phase motor if anyone needs it? I'll sell it or trade for another single phase to use as a spare. The machines have light surface rust and need a little tlc but a few passes with a Scotchbrite and some good 'ol johnsons those tables will look new again!

So....is it gloatworthy?

Van Huskey
01-07-2012, 2:22 PM
YOU SUCK! Pretty good haul!

Brian Weick
01-07-2012, 11:06 PM
You may want to consider keeping the 3 ph motor on it, they are much more efficient., if you can.

B,

shane lyall
01-08-2012, 5:46 AM
You may want to consider keeping the 3 ph motor on it, they are much more efficient

I wish I could Brian, Would be nice to see, for example, the planner come up to speed and STAY there no matter what/how big a cut I throw at it. My background is in 3 phase industral power as an electrician so I've been around the block with it in the last 20 years or so.

I even thought about hanging on to it and replacing the other motors as needed with 3P. The jointer is the only one I have at this time and, in a hobby shop setting, the differance in efficiancy is nominal. The start up cost with new motors and a phase converter just isn't economically justified even in my simi-pro shop running a few hours a day. I guess I could offset my cost by selling some of my motors but I just don't have the time or energy to put into it. I may save it as "ya' never know" but if a Creeker needs it to replace a dead one I'll let it go to help them out,

shane lyall
01-08-2012, 5:48 AM
Jeeesss I really gotta start hitn spelchek!! LOL! sorry!

Mike Cutler
01-08-2012, 7:55 AM
Yep, you pretty much suck!:D

Nice haul.
That PM 60 is a great machine and either the 1.5 or 3hp single phase motor will make for a very good setup.
22 cutters for a shaper for a $100.00.... Nice!

Charles Robertson
01-08-2012, 8:41 AM
A friend uses these.Compact Micro AC Drive
1/4 to 3hp, Single or 3 phase
TECO EV Series

Brian Weick
01-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Shane,
Is that 3hp 3 ph motor available? What's the amp rating and rpm,would you mind throwing a picture of it up here?

I'm definitely interested......

Since you work with 3ph equipment , are you familiar with VFD drives and filters?

Thank you,
B,

shane lyall
01-08-2012, 2:13 PM
Sure Brian. I've been doing a little cleaning up on the jointer and haven't had a chance to change it out yet. I'll try to get it tonight along with the specs you requested. Shouldn't take long.