PDA

View Full Version : Lie Nielsen scraper plane to try

Carl Beckett
01-07-2012, 7:49 AM
OK - After reading John Coloccia's post offering up a smoother for someone to enjoy trying (thanks John!!), the spirit hit me so:

I have a Lie Nielsen Large Scraping plane.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=112

I have never quite gotten the knack of using it, so it sits in a drawer for a day when I am more inspired. It needs tuning, sharpening, etc. In fact, the blade may have a little rust pitting on the bevel (havent looked in some time)

But I will offer it up for rotation to anyone that wants to try it out. I think it would be great if it first went to someone that is a pro with tuning and using a scraper plane (to get it off on the right direction).

Its not for sale. And I do expect it back someday (my discretion). And we would expect posts here on each individuals experience (its a tricky beast to use, and many have said they just never get the hang of it). Each user will be responsible for shipping to the next person.

I like the idea of sharing the experience with a group that appreciates it, and this forum has been a source of knowledge (and entertainment) to me for some time.

Jim Matthews
01-07-2012, 8:29 AM
That's the spirit!

Good man.

brian c miller
01-07-2012, 8:40 AM
I would love to give it a try... I have some walnut with reversing grain that I had some real tear out issues with, even at a high angle.

Let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,
BCM

Chris Griggs
01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
That'a boy!!!

Howard Pollack
01-07-2012, 11:18 AM
PM sent. Thank you. -Howard

Lars Larson
01-07-2012, 5:18 PM
Just a quick tip for those wanting tor try this out.

Lie Nielsen has a setup video on their youtube channel that describes the process and will have you up and running in no time. I purchased this plane after trying it out at a LN hand tool event and having one of the demonstrators show me how to set it up. The video shows the same process quite well. I really like mine and find it quite useful for tricky grain.

Greg Wease
01-07-2012, 5:55 PM
While I applaud the generosity of these offers, some caution should be exercised. One day Bill Kohr at Craftsman Studio said to come in and try out the Lie-Nielsen #62. Sure, no charge just to try it out, right? An hour later I drove home with my new plane, two extra blades and a hot-dog handle. These "free trials" can get very expensive!

Michael Dedon
01-07-2012, 6:08 PM
I'm with you Greg. I've got a Stanley #112 that's working just fine. It's part of the other 40+ scrapers that have followed me home. DO NOT let me get on this list for a test run. I don't need to find another scraper I might like!!! (unless......?)

Carl Beckett
01-07-2012, 8:29 PM
I'm with you Greg. I've got a Stanley #112 that's working just fine. It's part of the other 40+ scrapers that have followed me home. DO NOT let me get on this list for a test run. I don't need to find another scraper I might like!!! (unless......?)

Well Michael, only two on the list so far..... Clearly an inadequate number for proper evaluation.....:rolleyes:

Carl Beckett
02-06-2012, 8:00 AM
Hi Guys,

Wondering whats the status of this and where its at?

Andrew Pitonyak
02-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi Guys,Wondering whats the status of this and where its at?Carl, where are you located? I have one in Columbus Ohio that I purchased used and have just not had the time to test out.

Christopher Charles
02-09-2012, 6:53 PM
Great idea! I'll also give the LN video a thumbs-up. I bought a large LV scraper from another SMC'er and had it up and running straight-away. Who knows how many hours the video saved me?

C

Carl Beckett
02-12-2012, 8:19 AM
Carl, where are you located? I have one in Columbus Ohio that I purchased used and have just not had the time to test out.

Andrew,

Thanks for the offer - this one was one i had that wasnt being used enough, so Johns posts inspired me to send this one on the rounds

I believe Howard has it now, looking forward to hearing his experiences. ( Brian had it for a while but I'm not sure he had a great experience with it )

Mike Brady
02-12-2012, 9:47 AM
I just purchased a Lie-Nielsen #112 scraping plane from the second owner of this tool. There were few signs of use on it although it is at least several years old. The second owner told me he had tried it once. When I got it I immediately removed the iron and examined it. It was dull but also had almost a 60 degree bevel that the first owner had apparently thought was correct. After changing the bevel to the original 45 degress and adding a small micro bevel up through 10,000 grit, but no hook, the plane worked beautifully the first time I tried it. What's the point? Just because a tool has a great pedigree doesn't mean it will be successful in your hands unless you learn to sharpen it and set it. Those two first owners didn't do that, or they never would have sold it.

If you borrow the above plane, look at the video that Deneb has made about scraping planes. The iron from the #112 will fit into a $12. eclipse style jig. Do not try to sharpen this much A-2 steel free-hand. Hopefully the person that uses it before you will send it to you sharp and set. Try to scrape with the iron in your hands like it was a normal card scraper. If it works there, it will work in the plane.

Leigh Betsch
02-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure where this is at but I'd like to give it a whirl. I have an old stanley that needs some work (thanks Mark!) and I built one of my own designs but I wouldn't mind trying a store bought unit before I try to repair the Stanley.

david charlesworth
02-14-2012, 11:32 AM
If anyone struggles with these splendid tools, I did my best to publish comprehensive guidance for the 112 Scraper Plane (and others) in my 6th Lie-Nielsen DVD.

45 degrees with a hook has a true cutting action like Hoadleys type two chip.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

David Weaver
02-14-2012, 11:41 AM
If anyone struggles with these splendid tools, I did my best to publish comprehensive guidance for the 112 Scraper Plane (and others) in my 6th Lie-Nielsen DVD.

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Having watched the DVD, and applied that method...

.. until or unless someone else comes along with something faster and finer (that also works every single time), that is the only way to prepare a scraper plane. The material on shoulder plane setup is also good, and the back bevel info as well for folks who don't like proper double iron setup and who can't afford to have specialty planes (i cannot recall the rest of the segments, but the DVD was a long one with several things on it, if I remember).

In terms of the scraper set up, the cutting action is nice, and the surface left behind is surprisingly good for a scraper - better maybe than some very steep planes, and especially compared to an iron that has been left straight with no burr. The wood is cut off instead of being scratched off.

Carl Beckett
02-14-2012, 1:35 PM
I'm not sure where this is at but I'd like to give it a whirl. I have an old stanley that needs some work (thanks Mark!) and I built one of my own designs but I wouldn't mind trying a store bought unit before I try to repair the Stanley.

Hi Leigh,

Howard has this now, then Trevor. You are in line after Trevor then.

david charlesworth
02-14-2012, 3:46 PM
David,

Thank you. The DVD had five topics, I also looked at decorative planed bevels and planing the face of a mortise & tennoned door.

It seems to me that a scraper plane with a hook, is like a type 2 setup with an almost infinitely close set chipbreaker. It is a cutting tool and leaves a very nice surface.

I have never understood the logic behind the 60 degree bevel with no hook.

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Carl Beckett
03-08-2012, 8:20 AM
So far we have had:

Brian
Howard
Trevor

Leigh is next in line.

After Leigh........??

Curt Putnam
03-08-2012, 12:27 PM
So far we have had:

Brian
Howard
Trevor

Leigh is next in line.

After Leigh........??

Can I throw my name in the ring? I've just learned to make a Sargeant cabinet scraper go and would love to try a full-on scraper plane.

Thanks, Curt

Carl Beckett
03-08-2012, 2:18 PM
You are after Leigh then Curt. Feel free to PM him with shipping contact info.

Carl Beckett
03-28-2012, 8:26 AM
Leigh has this boxed up and ready to ship - who is next in line??

(Curt threw his name in but I havent gotten an address yet - Curt??)

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-28-2012, 1:06 PM
With everyone tripping over themselves to get in line, many have failed to see we have a woodworking master in our midst. David Charlesworth, I have seen many of your DVDs, but not the one you mentioned. I will be sure to check it out. I hope to read more great posts from you here and am glad to see you are back on your feet. Keep em coming!

Curt Putnam
03-28-2012, 2:38 PM
Carl - sent you a PM back when I 1st posted
Will try it again.

[Edit] Have also sent regular email

Thanks, Curt

Rob Lee
03-28-2012, 2:58 PM
Carl -

Scraper planes are notoriously hard to "get the hang of setting" properly. The good news is... once you "get it", it's easy to do.

Stop by a trade show or LN event and get someone to show you how to set it up - it's a good plane to have!

Rob
(who uses a different, but similar, plane
frequently... :) )

Carl Beckett
03-28-2012, 4:00 PM

best wishes,
David Charlesworth

Carl -

Scraper planes are notoriously hard to "get the hang of setting" properly. The good news is... once you "get it", it's easy to do.

Stop by a trade show or LN event and get someone to show you how to set it up - it's a good plane to have!

Rob
(who uses a different, but similar, plane
frequently... :) )

Thanks for the comments David/Rob!

I have the smaller 212 and love it. I tend to go freehand with a card scraper on the bigger areas, vs reaching for this larger plane. So thought it would be fun to send it around and hear the experiences others have with it. (which... ahem.... we have not heard feedback on)

As my grandfather would have said - Im not holding my tongue right....

Will certainly look for the next opportunity for hands on at a trade show. (I do have some 'other' well known brand planes)

Wow..... Rob, David, other distinguished members of the WW community. SMC is a great place! :)

Carl Beckett
04-11-2012, 6:07 PM
Anyone want in line after Curt? Otherwise its coming back home.....

Matt Radtke
04-11-2012, 7:58 PM
I'd be interesting in trying it. What are the rules again?

Carl Beckett
04-12-2012, 1:48 PM
I'd be interesting in trying it. What are the rules again?

Just send me a PM with your address and I will forward to the prior user so they can ship it out.

You get it to play with for any 'reasonable' amount of time you like, and then forward along to the next guy (so essentially you end up paying shipping on the outbound)

Its that simple.

Matt Radtke
04-12-2012, 1:58 PM
Nice. Address sent via email, per your request.

Carl Beckett
06-25-2012, 7:47 PM
If no-one else is on the list then this will come back home......

Quesne Ouaques
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I'd like to give it a try if it's not too late.

Quesne Ouaques
07-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Quick update on the scaper plane....

I have been enjoying using it on a few projects. I have found it very tricky getting the right set angle for the iron to produce a useful cut. It seems to depend a great deal on the size and angle of the burr.

Once I got all that worked out, however, it has been a real joy to use :-)

Does anyone else want to give it a try before it goes home to Carl?

Shawn Pixley
07-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Okay, I'll bite. I'd love to try out a scraper plane. I've got a few pieces that I can't plane without tearout (even with tight mouth, high angle frog, and tight cap iron). Please let me know.

Shawn Pixley
08-29-2012, 3:27 PM
Well this was a lot of fun! I had my turn. Who is next?

john davey
08-29-2012, 9:16 PM
I would love to try it if a list is going somewhere can I be added? Thanks, John

john davey
09-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Is there anyone else on the list or should I send it to it's owner??? Loved playing with it. Only gripe for me is the tote is a little small for my hand and was uncomfortable. Thanks, John...

Phillip Collins
10-11-2012, 5:28 PM
Okay, I'll bite. I'd love to try out a scraper plane. I've got a few pieces that I can't plane without tearout (even with tight mouth, high angle frog, and tight cap iron). Please let me know.

Hi Shawn (and others) -

Did the scraper plane do the job you hoped? Were you able to scrape the trickiest grain, and is it faster or better than using a random orbit sander? I would like hear some impressions from the people that have used this tool or one like it. I am sure it is quieter than a sander and nicer to look at, but is the project finished faster, or can you see a difference in the final result? (Perhaps these are inappropriate questions in a Neander forum. I understand the allure of planes and well made hand tools, but sometimes we need to finish a project and tearout happens).

Thank you,
Phillip

Shawn Pixley
10-11-2012, 9:12 PM
Phillip,

My take on the scraper plane was as follows. A bit of a learning curve to set up. Afterwards it worked well. I compared it to my 4-1/2 smother with HAF. The smoother would remove stack faster (duh) but even with a very sharp blade and cap iron set impossibly close, on some woods I would get tearout. Depending upon how much tear-out I got flattening the board with my #7 jointer plane, the smoother could clean up most boards. When I tried that using the scraper plane, on the toughest woods (interlocked zirocote) the scraper was superior but much slower. I would hate to work that hard on a huge project.

Overall, there is a place for the scraper plane, but it is not my next purchase. But to be sure, I really appreciated the ability to try it out. Thanks Carl!

Phillip Collins
10-12-2012, 6:39 PM
Thank you, Shawn, for the quick and informative reply.

Hey, John, if you still have the scraper plane, could I take a turn? I am making a bed for my daughter out of maple and Lacewood, and I am having some trouble with tearout. There was a SMC thread a while back on Lacewood, and I guess if I had a better plane or better setup skills I should be able to plane it without tearout, but I am not having success. I have an ECE Primus smoothing plane, so the problem is probably my skills. But to make things worse, I just yesterday missed a Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 smoothing plane (with 2 frogs) that went for $200 on Craigslist in my town. :-) I have a Hock blade for a Stanley block plane, and I am going to take a shot at sharpening it with a slight camber and high angle and see if this will do the trick. But perhaps the scraping plane will work better for me.

Thank you,

Phillip

Carl Beckett
10-12-2012, 8:02 PM
Phillip,

John Davey has it and it was due to come home, but you are welcome to jump in on the tail end. Send John a PM and arrange it, and just cc me with a note when it ships so we can track it.

C

Phillip Collins
10-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Thank you for your generosity! PM sent.
Phillip

Quesne Ouaques
10-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi Phillip:

I wanted to test the LN 112 mainly to compare it to the LV Cabinet Scraper (Stanley #80 style) which I have been using for many years now. Generally, the only limitation I've ever faced with a Stanley #80 is that, for panel-sized work pieces (which I do not work with often), it is fairly time consuming to cover the whole surface evenly and get the finish I want.

That said, I tested the #112 on a few large surface pieces (maple, yellow pine and cherry), and it seems to me that -- with the right settings -- it is a faster solution for finishing a large, flat work piece when compared to a #80 clone. It gave me a nice finish which I went back over with a hand scraper to get the tough spots.

When I saw that the angle of the blade could be changed (something of which I had previously been unaware), I decided to try it on several other species to see if the ability to adjust the angle would affect the quality of the cut.

I tested the following: Walnut (burl), lacewood, zebrawood, padouk, jatoba, bloodwood, bamboo, ornamental cherry, hickory and mahogany. The mahogany (and pine panel) were just to see if I could use it effectively on soft wood. The hickory and bloodwood were to see how the blade and burr would stand up to the hardest wood I had on the shelf.

Generally, I found that I could get an acceptable cut on each species given some fettling with the blade angle. Cuts on the softest woods were just "OK", and could have been approved upon (blade angle? hook angle? or maybe just sandpaper :-). As for the hardest woods I had on the shelf, hickory and bloodwood, the burr held up fine and there was no noticeable change in the blade's ability to cut.

Actually, I was pretty impressed with the finish it gave me on bloodwood. The lacewood was the only one that I really struggled to get a good finish on. There wasn't really tearout, it simply did not get rid of the little "pins" in the wood when I passed my hand over it.

It goes without saying that the quality of the tool is exceptional. I have found this to be true of both the LN and LV hand tools. Even the various improvements -- which set them apart from their respective "ancestor" tools -- tend to be extremely well thought out and lend significant enhancement to the tool's usability.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful!

john davey
10-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi Carl, Disregard my PM. I should have looked here first. I will ship it off to Phillip in the next day or two...JD

Phillip,

John Davey has it and it was due to come home, but you are welcome to jump in on the tail end. Send John a PM and arrange it, and just cc me with a note when it ships so we can track it.

C

Phillip Collins
10-17-2012, 3:41 PM
Thank you, Quesne, for the detailed reply. You certainly put the scraper plane through its paces! I have found that there are wide differences between different lacewood boards. I can tune my smoothing plane to do well on one of the boards that I have, but not the other one. I have never had the chance to try a LN tool, so this may end up costing me a large amount of money in the long run!

Phillip

Carl Beckett
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
OK - this thread started on 7 Jan 2012.

Yesterday I received it back in the mail: 7 Jan 2013.

Nice Karma!!

Would have been fun to have some type of tracking method because it ended up logging some miles - ironic that every other person that wanted to try it was on an opposite coast!

Some great experiences shared, and it was satisfying to me to let it make the rounds since otherwise it would have just sat in a drawer for the year.

Shawn Pixley
01-08-2013, 9:57 PM
OK - this thread started on

Would have been fun to have some type of tracking method because it ended up logging some miles - ironic that every other person that wanted to try it was on an opposite coast.

It was just our part to stimulate the economy. Thanks again for the loan. I really appreciate your generousity.

Quesne Ouaques
01-09-2013, 8:30 AM
Thanks very much for the opportunity to try it out, Carl. I really enjoyed it.

Also, it makes me think I may put a tool up for sharing one of these days :-)

george wilson
01-09-2013, 8:39 AM
I've had an old Stanley since the 60's. Used it many,many times on rosewood guitar backs over the years. Works fine.

Unless copies are properly made,they don't work(I'm sure the LN is just fine). Someone bought a cheaper one years ago(Kunz?) It had loose parts,and didn't work well at all. I don't recall what was loose. Maybe the pivot pins?

Carl Beckett
01-09-2013, 3:41 PM
Thanks very much for the opportunity to try it out, Carl. I really enjoyed it.

Also, it makes me think I may put a tool up for sharing one of these days :-)

Give us a list of everything you own and we will choose....... :D