PDA

View Full Version : Who makes Woodtek's spiral cutterheads?

Salem Ganzhorn
01-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Here is the link: http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=120-047&LARGEVIEW=ON
They don't look like Byrd's and they don't look like any sold by Grizzly.

I assume they work just as well though as I have never seen definitively that one brand of insert cutterhead works better then the other..

Thanks!
Salem

Van Huskey
01-06-2012, 10:50 PM
I assume they work just as well though as I have never seen definitively that one brand of insert cutterhead works better then the other..

Thanks!
Salem

I am assuming you have seen the recent FWW test of different segmented cutterheads.

Sorry, dunno who makes it but other than the Byrd you can figure it is one Tawain OEM factory or another but it does remind me of the older version of Laguna's Shear Tech

Salem Ganzhorn
01-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Unfortunately I am not a member of FWW. Will see if I can dig up the dead tree version. Thanks for pointing me to it!
Salem

Van Huskey
01-06-2012, 11:25 PM
I know it was in the Tools & Shop annual which should still be avilable in stores. Not sure if it is a reprint but I don't remember is being in the regular issue, if it was I missed it. In a general sense the heads that use shear (Jet/PM, Byrd and Laguna) do a better job than the straight versions like Steel City and Grizzly. Take it for what it is worth. The Woodtek appears to be a straight style. As far as I know the Byrd is the only shear type head available for machines other than their own.

david brum
01-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Salem, in case you're getting ready to buy one, you can get a 15" or 20" Byrd cutterhead from Grizzly for about $200 less than the Woodtek version. Their compatibility chart shows that they fits most planers.

Salem Ganzhorn
01-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks David. Woodtek's do look a little overpriced. I just picked up a used machine that has the Woodtek head in it which is why I was curious. I had never seen one quite like it. If I were buying an aftermarket head Byrd would be my first choice as the price is good and they are generally well liked.
Salem