PDA

View Full Version : My take on the 180 grit CBN grinding wheel.

Bob Bergstrom
01-06-2012, 9:37 PM
I grind all my tools free hand. I have gone through 46, 60 and 80 grit 3X wheels and was presently using a 80 grit. 3X wheel. Just before Christmas I purchased a 180 grit CBN wheel. I justified the cost because the 3x were costing in the neighborhood of $50 a pop. My grinder is a 8" Delta variable speed with a Wolverine setup. The CBN are, as most have stated here, a vast improvement in consistent uniform sharpening. Virtually no vibration or bouncing of the tool when presented to the wheel. No groves, ridges glazing, dust or need for dressing the wheel. Vary little pressure is needed to maintain contact on the wheel (a big change for me). Hesitating with the tool on the wheel will result in a flat spot very quickly. The consistency of the wheel across the full 1 1/2" surface is diffidently a great plus. You can literally move wherever you want during sharpening. It allows the grinding of long vertical swept back wing possible without moving the tool across the wheel. The initial sharpness is very sharp but I don't find a difference in the longevity of the sharpness. My tools have always been sharp whether from a 60, 80 or other grit wheel. There may be some initial cutting improvement when shear cutting, but that does not remain after a few cuts. Overall I am very satisfied with the wheel. and will probably purchase the 80 grit when my 3X gets too small. Hope this rambling help some other trying to justify the purchase.

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the info Bob. Been thinking of getting one myself.

David E Keller
01-06-2012, 11:14 PM
I got one a few months ago, and I'm very happy with it. As you say, it has no effect on the longevity of the edge, but I find my sharpening more consistent and faster. I'll probably replace my other wheel with the 80 grit equivalent when the time comes as I think my existing AO wheel opposite the CBN introduces just a little vibration into the unit which I'd like to eliminate.

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2012, 2:40 PM
Bob - I picked mine up at the St. Paul symposium last summer and have come to the same conclusions as you - it is a joy to use!

Justin Stephen
01-07-2012, 4:39 PM
I picked up the 80 grit for general use and am very happy with it. Kind of wish I had gotten the 180 instead though. I guess I'll have to have both. :)

Michael Ginsberg
01-07-2012, 5:08 PM
I bought from Dave the 180 a few months ago. Like it so much, I ordered the 80 today.
More control, bigger surface, cooler and quicker all a plus. Expensive but worth it..anybody need a Oneway balancer???

Bob Bergstrom
01-07-2012, 7:23 PM
I bought from Dave the 180 a few months ago. Like it so much, I ordered the 80 today.
More control, bigger surface, cooler and quicker all a plus. Expensive but worth it..anybody need a Oneway balancer???

You might as well throw in the wheel dresser!!