PDA

View Full Version : It waited 350 years to become this..........

Roger Chandler
01-06-2012, 7:37 PM
Well, I finished off the bottom of the lidded box from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree.........a white oak that was already a massive tree when the civil war was ensuing. I can think of no better way for the wood to live on than in being made into keepsake treasures for the preservation of the civil war battlefields and to help the Wounded Warrior project......[which this box is going for the WWP]

This box is 5.75 inches tall and 4.50 wide at the base. Finished with WOP. Comments welcome........

Dennis Ford
01-06-2012, 7:43 PM
That looks great. White oak is not a wood that I would have considered for a lidded box but you made it work.

Fred Belknap
01-06-2012, 7:58 PM
Roger you did a great job on a very quality project. I think end grain white oak turns and finishes pretty nice.

Brian Palmer
01-06-2012, 8:17 PM
Is there a place online or anything where I can purchase any of the SJPT turnings?

Roger Chandler
01-06-2012, 8:37 PM
Is there a place online or anything where I can purchase any of the SJPT turnings?

Nowhere on line Brian.........the Oasis Gallery here in Harrisonburg has a display of the items for the Wounded Warriors........I think it is a limited run for that gallery.........some individuals may have items later for that venue.......our club will be making items for other venues............

I will send you a PM here shortly............

Jason scot
01-07-2012, 5:28 AM
Hi roger, first off great looking box. I noticed your around the harrisvurg area, i'm just north a bit in strasburg. Do you all have a club down that way where a new turner might learn a thing or two? Anyway, again nice looking box, I hope to be able to produce that kind of quality eventually too.

John Keeton
01-07-2012, 6:16 AM
The jam chuck must have worked!! Very nice result, Roger. Clean lines, good form, and the oak is very fitting for this one.

Roger Chandler
01-07-2012, 6:28 AM
Hi roger, first off great looking box. I noticed your around the harrisvurg area, i'm just north a bit in strasburg. Do you all have a club down that way where a new turner might learn a thing or two? Anyway, again nice looking box, I hope to be able to produce that kind of quality eventually too.

Hi Jason.

Our Club meets in Mt. Jackson the first Saturday morning of every month. Today our meeting begins at 9 am. Here is a link to our website: http://www.woodturnersofthevirginias.org/index.htm

We have a skill development session on the 3rd Saturday of each month where you can get on a lathe and have a mentor teach you one on one. Look at the different links on our website .........there is a lot of info there to help you including directions.

Send me a PM if you want more info.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-07-2012, 7:43 AM
A nice simple outside form, with a couple of good details - nothing to detract from the grain pattern - and a high quality finish on it too, love this piece, and for such a good cause too. Well done, glad you shared the photo's with us.

Michelle Rich
01-07-2012, 7:44 AM
all things in their season..good project

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Nice work on this one Roger! Glad you were able to finish the bottom area! Best of luck with all the sales!!

Dan Forman
01-07-2012, 1:04 PM
I like this, pretty good sized for a box, like the shape and the beaded base. Glad the parting off went without a hitch.

Dan

Scott Hackler
01-07-2012, 1:20 PM
Turned out pretty good Roger. Looks like you had no issues with the bottom either.

charlie knighton
01-07-2012, 1:32 PM
very nice, nice oak, stonewall or not

Nathan Hawkes
01-07-2012, 6:03 PM
Nice work Roger!

Roger Chandler
01-07-2012, 6:26 PM
Thanks to all who commented..............I appreciate it! Scott, the jam chuck was just the ticket on this one. Thanks Nate.....missed you today.......the other officers of CVW were there........we had a lunch meeting......Mexican food! Steve, I have word that this one already has been purchased.

Dale Winburn
01-07-2012, 6:30 PM
Nowhere on line Brian.........the Oasis Gallery here in Harrisonburg has a display of the items for the Wounded Warriors........I think it is a limited run for that gallery.........some individuals may have items later for that venue.......our club will be making items for other venues............

I will send you a PM here shortly............

Roger, Brian

I have a bowl and two pens available on my site (see my profile), I sold the larger bowl at the Woodturners of the Virginias Club meeting this morning.

Dale Winburn

Roger Chandler
01-07-2012, 6:34 PM
Roger, Brian

I have a bowl and two pens available on my site (see my profile), I sold the larger bowl at the Woodturners of the Virginias Club meeting this morning.

Dale Winburn

Dale,

Please forgive my oversight! I totally forgot about your website..........when Brian asked that question........my mind went to galleries......[forgive a duh moment!] That bowl of yours that sold was so nice..........super form on it, and the detail features were high end for sure!

Great work Dale!

Steve Vaughan
01-07-2012, 7:07 PM
That's great looking! Love wood with a story.

Mike Cruz
01-07-2012, 10:01 PM
You did the tree proud, Roger. And I'm sure the Project will appreciate it.

Baxter Smith
01-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Nice box Roger. I like the look of white oak when it is turned.

Roger Chandler
01-08-2012, 9:09 PM
Nice work on this one Roger! Glad you were able to finish the bottom area! Best of luck with all the sales!!

Steve,

I am happy to report that this box was sold before it ever got a chance to go to the gallery..[at our club meeting!].......the proceeds will go to Wounded Warriors Project.