PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

Nate Davey
01-06-2012, 4:09 PM
One of the reps from a company we have worked with for some time was delivering some equipment when he saw one of the pens I had made and asked if it was buckeye burl, which it is. The average non-woodturner doesn't typically know what BE Burl is so this led to the obvious follow on question "Are you a wood turner?" which he was. We shot the breeze for a while and he mentioned he didn't have much variety of wood to turn in NM, so I told him to give me his mailing address and I would send some local stuff out. I put a box of Cherry, Curly Maple and Ambrosia Maple together for him. Well, today, I got home and on the porch was a box. From left to right, two pieces of Manzanita, Pear, Pine and a nice Russian Olive Burl. Sure pays to be friendly.

Tim Rinehart
01-06-2012, 4:12 PM
Sweet! Sharpen up good for that manzanita, from what I've heard, it's like turning stone. But does produce a beautiful finish.

David E Keller
01-06-2012, 8:15 PM
That's cool, Nate! Manzanita is pretty stuff, but the Russian olive would get my attention first!

Michael Menzli
01-06-2012, 9:07 PM
Looks great and YES relationships go a loooong way.

Nerdy comment: Looks like you may want to get those sealed up as I see what may be checking...hate for you to lose good stuff

Nate Davey
01-06-2012, 9:24 PM
Mike,

Not nerdy, but the Pear is already cracked. Coming from dry New Mexico, I'm not surprised. I'll epoxy them up.

Steve Schlumpf
01-07-2012, 2:37 PM
Congrats on the wood Nate! Looks like the trade worked out well for the both of you!