PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished SN2

Richard Jones
01-06-2012, 3:40 PM
In a previous post I stated that I had one of these on order and I would give a quick recap of my experiences with it. I already have 2 other SN2's, one from the PRC and one from NZ. Anyway, this one cost about $108, including shipping.

It was boxed as they all are, came with new 2" jaws, woodworm screw, screws, set screws, Allen wrenches, wrench, etc., all new. No, I repeat, no adapter. The chuck itself looked new. It was, as they all are, packed in some nasty grease. A quick washing with some liquid Dial and some Mean Green yielded a shiny clean chuck. I eased some burrs that I saw on the scroll ring, especially where they cut the lead-ins. I had to do this on my other chucks as well. A bit of graphite lube, put all the pieces back together, and without the plastic backing plate, the thing worked like greased................well, it worked very easily indeed. Put the plastic backing plate on with the clip and the thing is tight as Dick's hatband. Took it back apart, and after some study, found the the plastic backing plate was contacting the scroll ring too hard, so sanded just a very tiny skinchy bit off that surface and now it you can spin it with two fingers all the way through its' range. Note: It's possible that this is the culprit that makes them seem very tight, instead of poor machining.

If you do sand that backing plate, be gentle, you can go too far real quick and then the scroll ring will have to much slop. Sand a bit and reassemble, little bit at the time.

A bit of work, but quite a savings as well. I will be getting more of these, for sure.

Hope this helps someone.

Rich

Roger Chandler
01-06-2012, 4:02 PM
Rich,

I pretty much had to do the same thing with one of my SN2's..................for those who are interested I posted a helpful guide.............http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168243-Help-for-hard-to-turn-SuperNova-2&highlight=

Rich is correct......only take off a hair at a time of the nub on the backing plate. I also reamed out the area where you put the allen key in to adjust.....the plastic there can put too much pressure on the pinion gear as well.

Richard Jones
01-06-2012, 4:21 PM
I had forgotten about that thread, Roger, great info for sure.

Thanks.

Rich,

I pretty much had to do the same thing with one of my SN2's..................for those who are interested I posted a helpful guide.............http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?168243-Help-for-hard-to-turn-SuperNova-2&highlight=

Rich is correct......only take off a hair at a time of the nub on the backing plate. I also reamed out the area where you put the allen key in to adjust.....the plastic there can put too much pressure on the pinion gear as well.