PDA

View Full Version : New turner starting up

Josh Bowman
01-06-2012, 2:59 PM
My friend who's just starting turning would like to buy a bandsaw. I can't really give him any advice, since mine is a large one and I've never cut any bowl blanks out on my old small one that I sold. He has a Delta 46-460 (12 inch swing) and has limited space. What is the smallest bandsaw he should look for and are any models like Craftsman better than others?

Allan Ferguson
01-06-2012, 3:11 PM
14" band saw should do the job.

Brian Palmer
01-06-2012, 3:14 PM
I am just starting also but I found this to be VERY helpful and plan on getting the Grizzly G055x base on this review. http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tools/reviews/band-saws/deluxe-band-saws/

Steve Braman
01-06-2012, 3:16 PM
G0555 is a great saw for the money. With a little tuning, it has easily handled everything I have thrown at it. I will be buying the rider kit so that I can throw bigger stuff at it.

Tim Rinehart
01-06-2012, 3:23 PM
+1 on what Allan said. That's what I use (a Jet 14") which was upgraded with riser blocks and ball bearing blade guides. Start out with basic...may be all he needs. Alot out there, I found mine on CL for a couple hundred bucks if I recall.
There are alot with the same look as the Jet 14", they all probably come from same factory in Taiwan, just different paint line and stickers.
Grizzly G0555 looks like decent one too on same platform. If he wants some flexibility to increase height, just a good idea to see if he can get parts and upgrade items for it before buying, if that's something he wants or may want to do in future.
I'd love to upgrade my Jet 14" to a big rugged bandsaw that can accept 1" blades, but put a sharp blade in it...and it cuts everything I need to cut.

Nate Davey
01-06-2012, 3:40 PM
I went with the Rigid 14" and bought the Jet 6" riser block kit. It does just fine.

Donny Lawson
01-06-2012, 5:31 PM
I also have a Ridgid with a 6" riser,1/2" blade with a 3tpi raker. Works great.

Scott Hackler
01-06-2012, 5:34 PM
I bought the Professional (joke) Craftman 14" and its not a bad saw, BUT I learned after the purchase that it takes a weird size blade and the only off the shelf blades are at Sears! I don't remember for sure what I paid (and keep in mind its a full size saw) but it seemed like the Rikon at Woodcraft was only $100 more and it had better specs. Live and learn. I would sure check about blades before dumping money on a Craftman bandsaw.

Mike Cruz
01-06-2012, 6:29 PM
He NEEDS a 20" band saw. You know it. I know. We ALL know it. Why? Because that lathe will last him a year or two tops. He's going to get a bigger lathe. He'll need a bigger band saw. He'll get one with a 16" swing, and if he gets a small BS, he will consequently upgrade his BS to something like a 16-17" model. Then, he'll fall into some really big wood, and will end up with an 18-24" lathe. And that 17" 1.5 hp BS just won't keep up with the blanks he's cutting, so he'll need to get a 19-21" BS.

Save him a LOT of trouble and a LOT of money...get him into a BIG lathe, and a BIG band saw. Geesh...did you really need to ask this question? :D

Okay, okay, get him into a 14" BS...anything from Ridgid to Delta. Just steer him away from the cheaper stuff so he doesn't have to struggle with it. He has to learn the hard way...like all of us did...

Josh Bowman
01-06-2012, 6:46 PM
Mike,
I agree! I tried to sell him the Jet 1642 to at least give him a short cut. But he really is limited on space, but I don't have a clue why he feels he needs to park a car in his garage. At least the chucks and tools will be able to move with him.

Jim Burr
01-06-2012, 6:53 PM
I'll never have a Craftsman anything other than hand tools again! I grabbed a Grizzly 0555 and 6" riser kit on Black Friday. Why look back!?

Michelle Rich
01-07-2012, 8:12 AM
Depends on the $$$ he has....I use a grizzly 14" with the riser..It has done yeomans's service. Small footprint.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I think for the money the G0555 or G0555X with a riser would be fine. I have the G0555 and it has cut everything I have thrown at it. Some of the really big stuff it is slow going but I am like him with limited space.

Al Wasser
01-07-2012, 1:47 PM
The G0555x with a riser is the bigest piece of junk I ever bought. I can't say anything good about it.

Will Winder
01-09-2012, 11:00 AM
+1 for a 14" bandsaw. I went with a vintage delta, it will be perfect once I get around to purchasing a riser kit.