PDA

View Full Version : DELTA 22-675 planer

Mark Hultzapple
01-06-2012, 2:18 PM
Hi guys,
I've been looking to purchase a 15 inch planer and ran across an older ( approx 9yrs old) 15 inch Delta model 22-625, 2 HP, single phase 220v not far from my home. I was wondering if anyone has this model or knows anything about it. The machine only has approx 100 hrs. My questions are:

Is 2 HP enough for 15 inch planer?
what is the realistic depth of cut for a planer this size?
Are there any problems with this model?
What is a good price if condition is good?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Mark Hultzapple
01-08-2012, 8:04 PM
Does anyone have a delta planer that could give me some pros cons to delta? Any response would be appreciated

Mark

David Kumm
01-08-2012, 9:00 PM
Mark, isn't the 22-675 the first version of the 15" planer to replace the DC 33? Also known as dc 380? It would have been made in Taiwan before they moved the mfg to China. I think they had two feed speeds, 16-30 rather than the 16-20 most clones had. It probably had the same 2 hp Marathon motor the DC 33 used which was a good motor. The three hp that replaced it was not a US moptor that I know of but I'm not an expert on Delta. There may be some on Vintagemachinery.com as they are over ten years old now. To my knowledge there haven't been any real improvements to 15" planers so I would prefer the older ones to the new as time tends to reduce quality of entry level stuff. The motor might be a tad small when planing the full width but if in good shape and in the $500-700 range it is worth a look. The older Deltas are great candidates for a Byrd head although the motor might become a problem if using it as a rough planer. Makes a great finish planer though and depth of cut should be kept less than 1/16". Dave

Jay Rasmussen
01-08-2012, 9:03 PM
Mark,
I have a Delta DC-380 (22-680). I bought it new about ten years ago. I’ve been happy with it. I don’t use much more than 10” of the cut and mostly in red oak. The infeed/outfeed rollers are hard to keep adjusted as close as I like mainly due to the way the support legs fit the stand. This is on my list to things to fix, near the bottom though.

All in all it’s been a good machine and I don’t regret buying it at all. I might look at a new segmented cutter head for it sometime in the future.

Hope this helps.

Jay