PDA

View Full Version : New shop layout

Kevin Crawford
01-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Hello guys, I have my design for my shop layout drawn up. I'm trying to make the most of the space I have like all of us. If you have any suggestions for me of how to rearrange things, i would love to hear your thoughts. I wont be moving in until later this year so I've got plenty of time to make changes.

Anthony Whitesell
01-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Where's the storage space for extras and lumber?

Kirk Poore
01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Have you measured your 16" jointer? The jointer shown seems very narrow compared to the 16" jointers I've seen. Also, unless you'll be working with a helper, having your planer sandwiched between the jointer and the tablesaw means you've got a whole bunch of walking to do to pick up the planed board and then get back to the infeed side to make another pass.

Kirk

Thomas Bank
01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm not a big fan of mixing wood and metal working. Sawdust + flames & hot metal doesn't do well and metal filings + finished wood surfaces also doesn't do well.

I agree with Anthony on needing storage space!

Kevin Crawford
01-06-2012, 8:16 PM
There is a place for lumber and ply on the other side of the north wall. As well as having some lumber racks above the miter table. There is more storage under the work benches and there will be some cabinets on the walls for storage.

You are right, the jointer does look out of proportion but grizzly's shop planner isn't perfect. The dimensions are right and when I look at it on the planner, I can see it in box form which is better.

You make a good point about the planer placement, I think I can just switch there places so the jointer in next to the saw table. Then I can walk right around the planer.