PDA

View Full Version : Grinder advice needed

Mike D Harris
01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Hi,

I'm new to woodturning and need a gouge sharpening setup. I have this HF grinder that works fine for chisels and plane irons since I added a tool rest to the wet side.
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-wet-6-inch-dry-grinder-35098.html
Is it worth trying to set this up with jigs for gouge sharpening, or should I buy a slow speed 8" dry grinder? Obviously getting into turning is very expensive, so I'm trying to spend money on gouges and a chuck and save it where possible.

Thanks,
Mike

Jamie Donaldson
01-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Mike- I recommend the Woodcraft low speed grinder with 8" AlO wheels that is now on sale for $90. It is a good package that serves the sharpening needs of most turners, and addition of the One Way Wolverine sharpening system makes a very functional set-up. Shaping HSS on a wet wheel grinder is not an easy task, on either grinder of grindee, and the cost is not comparable when considering the extra jigs required.

Peter Lamb
01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
+1 what Jamie said

Mike D Harris
01-06-2012, 2:30 PM
Thanks for the info. Is it just as easy to sharpen wide plane irons on the thin (standard size) wheels? I originally bought mine because I liked the wide stone. I don't have the room to keep two ginders, so I'll give my current one away if the new one works well for both.

Derek Gilmer
01-06-2012, 2:36 PM
Does the wet side have any way to mount jigs like a Tormek would use? They make a nice turning tool sharpening set if so.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-06-2012, 2:56 PM
How's your budget? I have a Tormek, and it's easy (yes it is slow) to sharpen gouges. IF you want to sharpen planes and regular wood chisels, I would personally stay away from a dry grinder. The Tormek will sharpen both. It is pricey. AND I don't want to start a dry-wet sharpening arguement. If you only have space for 1 that is what I would get.
Tormek does make a dry grinder mount, that you may be able adapt to the wet side of your sharpener, and you could then buy the Tormek jigs. Just an option to consider.