PDA

View Full Version : Wood Project to send to the ARIZONA DESERT - Best Wood to Use ??? - Moisture Content

Brad Wardman
01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I am making a project for a friend who lives in the Arizona desert (I am in Southern Missouri)...
Question is, what would be a good dimensionally stable type of lumber that will handle the climate change well ?? What should the moisture content be before I work the project ??

This will be a cnc carved sign, approximately 12" x 24" and 5/8" thick. Sealed & painted.

Thanks,
Brad

Jamie Buxton
01-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Mesquite is very stable -- almost zero expansion rates with humidity changes.

Jerome Hanby
01-06-2012, 10:28 AM
I'd be tempted to post this over on the Wood Whisperer site. He's based in Az.

Jim Rimmer
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
That's a tough one. I lived in AZ back in 70s and it is definitely dry (5 -10% humidity) but it does rain and since this will be outside, your talking about something that will go from 100% drenched one day to possibly 10% humidity the next day. :eek: Maybe a wooden sign is not the best option. :confused:

+1 on asking the Wood Whisperer

Todd Burch
01-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Highly humid to exceptionally dry. Not sure how you can get your EMC down to Arizona levels. I would stay far away from pine.

Since it will be sealed and painted... and you have to deal with the humidity differences... and it's for a friend (which probably means you ain't charging for it)... why not MDF or PLY?