PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Detail Rabbet Planes?

Michael Ray Smith
01-06-2012, 8:38 AM
Does anyone have experience with the thin little Veritas detail rabbet planes? I'm sure the quality is top-notch (no pun intended), like everything I've ever bought with the V-word on it. But how useful are they? I was thinking the smallest one might be useful for cleaning out the slots in keyed miter joints, but I'm not sure I can justify the purchase for that reason alone. I can see that they'd be handy for cleaning out grooves and dadoes, but my small router plane already does that.

Ryan Baker
01-07-2012, 7:35 PM
I don't have the detail rabbet planes. I'm sure they are nice, if you need those sizes. Another idea you might consider is the miniature rabbet plane. It's the same size as the smallest detail rabbet plane at less than half the price (at around thirty bucks). That's a very nice little plane for those little jobs if it is not the sort of thing you would use on a regular basis (or even if you do).

Mike Henderson
01-08-2012, 2:09 AM
I bought one and was surprised at how small it is. I've never used it and don't think I ever will use it. Too bad they didn't make it a bit larger.

If you want one, I'll sell you mine cheap.

Mike

Trevor Walsh
01-08-2012, 3:55 PM
I have the 1/4" I've used it for adjusting groove depths, and tweaking a scratched bead and small trimming tasks. I had particular need to work in 1/4" grooves when I got mine, but I think a wider one would be more helpful all around. A 3/8" is on my list, the short toe can be helpful in tripping drawer stops if you're working in small drawers

Jim Neeley
01-08-2012, 8:45 PM
I have the LV miniature and especially like it's blade depth adjuster. It moves in nice small increments. :)