PDA

View Full Version : New MM16

Juan Rivera
03-13-2005, 7:19 PM
I just ordered a brand new Minimax MM16 Bandsaw at the local Woodworking show in Orlando, FL. This is the new version with the 16" resaw capacity, 4.8hp motor, thicker gauge steel frame all of which makes it almost 50lbs heavier than the previous version. I was able to get the mobility package, miter gauge and a 1" Lennox carbide blade (sweet thang!) included. I forgot the phenolic blocks for smaller blades but I'll add those tommorow.

They told me the BS would take a couple of weeks to arrive since it's on a boat from Italy. Now, while I wait any suggestions on blades aside from the one I'm already getting. Please included sizes, brands, purpose and any other information you guys deem important. This is my first and last bandsaw (thanks to my LOLM!). Any other suggestions on gadgets or improvements if possibly are well appreciated.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get it uncrated.

Jim Becker
03-13-2005, 8:46 PM
Congratulations, Juan!! Great saw you have coming...even better than my two-generations-back-but-only-a-year-and-a-half-old MM16 !! :D It sounds like Sam and/or whoever else was manning the booth took good care of you.

In addition to the 1" carbide you have coming, consider a 1/2" Lennox carbide for "general cutting" (from Iturra) and some narrow blades from Suffolk (Timberwolf) for scrolling with the Cool Blocks you're going to order tomorrow. ;) Be sure you specify the correct length for this new machine as the databases at vendors might have the older measurements. (Mine takes a 145" blade fo 12" resaw height, the most previous version a 149" for 14" resaw height and I'm not sure what yours will require with it's 16" resaw height)

Juan Rivera
03-13-2005, 9:08 PM
Thanks Jim! Sam did take good care of me. Great guy. He did Mention that the new blade length is 154".

Just curious if you've had any problems tracking small blades?

Again, thank you for you quick response!:)

Paul B. Cresti
03-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Juan,
Congrats and welcome to the MM family. If you ever have any specific MM questions you can also check out the MiniMax users group on Yahoo. I have a 24" BS and use primarily the 1" Trimaster but I also used a 1/2" Bimetal Diemaster 2 for general cutting. They are much cheaper.

Mike Holbrook
03-14-2005, 12:39 AM
Very nice saw Juan. I just got the video and sheet data on it from Minimax myself. I am guessing it will be a while before I order mine but I am guessing I will have to have one too.

I like the Woodslicer blades from Highland Hardware, just won top ripper in the 2005 Fine everything tool reviews. I put one and an older model Fastrack fence on my old Inca and it is a new saw. Seems to be ripping right against the fence without aligning too.

Michael Perata
03-14-2005, 3:49 AM
Juan

I have the "old" style MM16. Tried Timberwolf blades and decided the Olsons the machine came with were much better (lasted longer) than the TW.

Wow, 4.8HP - you'll end up sawing everything in site.

Mike Cutler
03-14-2005, 5:09 AM
Very Nice Juan. Remember to post some pics so the pics police don't get ya'.

Aaron Montgomery
03-14-2005, 8:20 AM
Ok, I've got the 149" version MM16. What I want to know is how many of you guys can actually fold your blades up when their not being used. I tried doing it one day and it just didn't go very well.

Jim Becker
03-14-2005, 9:58 AM
Ok, I've got the 149" version MM16. What I want to know is how many of you guys can actually fold your blades up when their not being used. I tried doing it one day and it just didn't go very well.
Yea, I actually do. I had this sticker on my previous bandsaw from Fine Woodworking and learned how to do it without slicing my wrists open awhile ago. The hardest one is the 1" Lennox carbide...and if I had a free wall to hang it unfolded, I'd do it!

Best advice is to take a 1/2" blade and just plain practice doing it over and over for a little while.

Ted Shrader
03-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Juan -

Welcome to the family (as Paul said). Great saw. I have the 149" version and am very pleased. Light years of difference between the MM and the Jet 14" w/ riser.

You will need to make an extension cord and get a plug to put on the short pigtail that comes on the saw. I used a twist lock connector on the machine end of the cord.

Congratulations,
Ted

Ted Shrader
03-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Aaron -

I roll mine up. Had plenty of practice on shorter (93½" and 105") blades, so it is not as intimidating as starting with a bigger one. I use the both arms extended, right palm out, one twist method as opposed to the one foot on the blade on the floor, twist and bend method.

Regards,
Ted