PDA

View Full Version : Western Larch Bowl

mike ash
01-06-2012, 12:54 AM
While I was hunting deer with my muzzleloader (40 miles south of Ken Fitzgerald) , I ran across a 12" dia piece of western larch that was dry. I had never turned larch before and I know it is deciduous. I'm thinking that technically it is a hardwood, so why not try it!!! Since it had a 3/4" wide crack all the way to the center, I split it open and turned each half and then put in a spacer (wenge) for accent. I'm not sure I like the collar, but the folks who recently ordered bowls from me like them, so I turned a lip and a small black walnut rim. The piece is 10" x 7 1/4", sanded to 600 grit and 2 coats of minwax WOP, followed by buffing and Renn wax.

I had a dickens of a time turning this piece of larch. I kept sharp tools, but all it wanted to do was CHIP!! I messed with the lathe speed, using lighter touches, honing my tools, and all the things you folks have been posting (plus saying a few curse words that only made me temporarily feel better). Even so, I had to do a tremendous amount of sanding to get a finish that looked halfway presentable.

Morale of the story, next time I find a piece of western larch while hunting.......I'll use it in the camp fire like everyone else does!!!

Eric Gourieux
01-06-2012, 1:06 AM
Mike, it turned out real nice. Looks smooth.

Dan Forman
01-06-2012, 3:11 AM
Looks really good, never would have guessed it gave you so much trouble.

Dan

John Keeton
01-06-2012, 7:29 AM
On the plus side, you ended up with a nice result!

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2012, 7:33 AM
I like it! Sure is some pretty wood - reminds me of old-growth Southern Yellow Pine! Any problems with pitch?

Justin Stephen
01-06-2012, 7:38 AM
Looks very nice. I truthfully didn't know what "Western Larch" was until reading this thread cause me to look it up. Interesting factoid from Wikipedia:

The wood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood) is tough and durable, but also flexible in thin strips, and is particularly valued for yacht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht) building; wood used for this must be free of knots, and can only be obtained from old trees that were pruned (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruning) when young to remove side branches.

Steve Vaughan
01-06-2012, 8:23 AM
What an interesting find! And then you turned it into a treasure. Sure hope you don't throw that next piece into the fire! Personally, I don't like the collar on it, but this really is a great looking piece. Reminds me of some old growth pine too, beautiful wood and accent!

Tim Rinehart
01-06-2012, 8:30 AM
Nice, really nice. I like the contrast of wood and the shape is something I've also been using on a couple forms recently, I like it. Having the wenge collar is fine, but something that flowed a bit more off the top of the piece would be a pleasing alternative. I think your collar approach is unique, and is something most of us just aren't used to seeing, but I suspect holding the piece makes it all look super.

Bill Hensley
01-06-2012, 8:41 AM
Whatever problems you encountered are not obvious, I like the results very much. The collar, not so much.

Roger Chandler
01-06-2012, 9:07 AM
Yep it does remind of old growth pine or perhaps some Douglas Fir I have seen..............makes for a nice turning ........I like the Wenge accent ring...........good job on this Mike.

mike ash
01-06-2012, 9:45 AM
Thanks for the comments. I knew I'd get heckled about the collar, but I did it anyway!!!

I like it! Sure is some pretty wood - reminds me of old-growth Southern Yellow Pine! Any problems with pitch?

Pitch wasn't a problem. It had that turpentine odor and I was thinking that it might react with the WOP, but that wasn't the case.

Allan Ferguson
01-06-2012, 4:00 PM
Lots of Larch in my area. Built a bathroom cabinet with it. It tends to splinter easily. It is the fire wood of choice. Splits nicely and heavier that fir. Turned out very pretty for you.

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2012, 7:32 PM
For the problems it sure did turn out to be a pretty piece. Well done.