PDA

View Full Version : I finished the blanket chest...

Bill Huber
01-05-2012, 8:21 PM
I finished it, it was a long project for me, learning how to do raised panels. It is all walnut and finished with 4 coats of General Oil and Urethane. The bottom is just 3/4 oak ply that I had, no one will see it with the blankets in it and I had it so I used it.

I put supports on the top because it will be set on a lot and I wanted a strong top. Once I got going on the raised panels I just kept going and made them for the back also. I even did a book match on the front ones, didn't have enough wood to do them all.

All the joints are, those that know me will know, are all done with dowels with the Jessem dowel jig. The only real bad thing, well it is not that bad I guess but the top I did not get the boards matched like they should have been and I don't like seeing that center board.

The Jet 10-20 drum sander made it so much better doing the panels and the top, they came out so good and I did not have to spend much time on with the ROS.

But the main person that is it for (my wife of 46 years) loves it and that is all that counts.

Paul Cahill
01-05-2012, 8:49 PM
Lovely. I like the clean lines of your design.

Paul

Bill Huber
01-05-2012, 9:19 PM
Lovely. I like the clean lines of your design.

Paul

Thanks, at this point in my woodwork that is about all I am getting is clean lines, nothing fancy yet.

gary Zimmel
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I can see why your wife likes it... Real nice work Bill.

Paul Saffold
01-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Very classy, Bill. Nice walnut and finish.

Brett Robson
01-05-2012, 11:08 PM
...The only real bad thing, well it is not that bad I guess but the top I did not get the boards matched like they should have been and I don't like seeing that center board...

Bill, that is an elegant chest. I love the grain on the rails and the bookmatched panels. I for one, enjoy a little mismatch. Pieces that are not totally homogeneous are visually fun for me as I get to pick out the details in the construction that otherwise might be more subdued.

Todd Burch
01-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Looks great Bill. Nice post and panel construction. The wood really has nice figure and your finish shows it off!

Todd

Troy Turner
01-06-2012, 9:05 AM
Bill -

Good looking chest all around. Great design, execution, and finish.

And you're right...as long as SHE likes it, then you done good :)

Roger Myers
01-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Great looking chest Bill...no apologies needed on that at all!! I'm sure your wife loves it and it will be a family heirloom!
Roger

Brian Palmer
01-06-2012, 10:23 AM
That is beautiful.

Jim Rimmer
01-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Bill: That is one terrific chest. Nice work. If anyone else asks me why I like Walnut so much, I'll just show them a picture of this chest. Beautiful grain and great finish.

Gordon Eyre
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Very nice looking chest Bill, no wonder your wife loves it. I do have one suggestion and that has to do with the danger of a relatively heavy top and the possibility of little fingers being pinched or crushed when closing it. Several soft close mechanism's are available that will make the top safe around little kids.

Don Jarvie
01-06-2012, 3:19 PM
You did a great job with book matching the wood. Funny how were always our worst critic.

Jeff Monson
01-06-2012, 3:57 PM
Very nice Bill, the wood choice and design are great!

Bill Huber
01-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Bill: That is one terrific chest. Nice work. If anyone else asks me why I like Walnut so much, I'll just show them a picture of this chest. Beautiful grain and great finish.

Thanks

Well the grain is just awesome and much better then I thought it would be, the wood was only $6.44 a BF which I think was a good price. This is the first time I have really worked much with it but I like it, it works really nice, not to hard but not soft.

Bill Huber
01-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Very nice looking chest Bill, no wonder your wife loves it. I do have one suggestion and that has to do with the danger of a relatively heavy top and the possibility of little fingers being pinched or crushed when closing it. Several soft close mechanism's are available that will make the top safe around little kids.

I had a set of slow close hinges I got for it but my design would not let them work, then I tried a pair of gas springs but they would not work the way I wanted so I just used the chain for a stop and will keep it closed, I hope.

Mike Cutler
01-07-2012, 9:16 AM
Thanks, at this point in my woodwork that is about all I am getting is clean lines, nothing fancy yet.

It's a beautiful chest Bill. Well done!

One of the more difficult things to accomplish in wood working is a "clean line". It's easy to blur the lines of a project with edge treatments and router bits to hide deficiencies in detail, design,and execution, or get fancy simply for the sake of fancy. The clean line has to stand alone, by itself, with no place to hide. Done poorly the project looks like a crate. Done well, as your blanket chest is, it's very pleasing to the eye.
Once again, well done. I like it.

Phil Thien
01-07-2012, 9:51 AM
Outstanding work. I would like to see it again in a few years after the walnut has had a chance to oxidize a bit.

That chest is starting fantastic, and will just get better with age.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-07-2012, 10:04 AM
I agree w/ Phil. That piece is going to age well. The walnut is beautiful!