PDA

View Full Version : NYW Router Table Finished

Larry Browning
01-05-2012, 7:56 PM
I just finished (Well, 99%, waiting on some DC parts) building a proper router table. I had been using a benchtop version that was lacking in many ways. I managed to build it from scrap left over from several years worth of projects. I had to glue together a few pieces of plywood to work, but I managed it. I even had the drawer slides, drawer pulls, wheels and even the plexiglass. I only had to buy 1 sheet of 1/2" baltic birch. Of course with such a fine cabinet, I had to get a new router and plate to mount it in! I think I spent a little less than $400 including the router! I can't wait to use on my next project!

Here is a link to a few more pictures
https://picasaweb.google.com/116538662290459313764/RouterTable

Dave Ray
01-05-2012, 8:01 PM
Looks great, Larry. Should give you years of great service.

matt swiderski
01-05-2012, 8:22 PM
I just built one this past year. I was amazed with the amount of saw dust that is it collects, just a little bit left to clean up now. Enjoy.
Matt

Bill Huber
01-05-2012, 8:37 PM
That looks almost to nice to use....
I do understand that you could just put any old router in it.:)

Great job and I am sure you will love using it over a bench-top table.

Larry Frank
01-05-2012, 8:43 PM
I looked at the pictures on the link and you did an amazing job. I have a table which is functionally very good with a lift but would like to build a nicer looking one. I think that I will follow your lead on this one.

The one thing that I have not resolved is the dust collection. I want to collect the dust down under the table near the top of the router and have not found a design or system that I really like.

david paul miller
01-05-2012, 9:30 PM
The one thing that I have not resolved is the dust collection. I want to collect the dust down under the table near the top of the router and have not found a design or system that I really like.[/QUOTE] Larry' have you looked into the "Keen" router dust collection setup? works great for everything, except when running large panel bits. http://www.keen-products.com/routertables.htm

Neil Brooks
01-05-2012, 9:46 PM
She's a beauty, Larry.

I've long said that -- while you might be able to build a better table than Norm's -- there's really not a darned thing wrong WITH Norm's.

Really great work !

Larry Browning
01-06-2012, 8:30 AM
Thanks for all the great compliments!
Like I said before, I made it from leftovers. The sides are from white oak the drawer fronts are from cherry and the hardwood trim is walnut, kind of an odd combo, but it is what I had.
I did make a couple of modifications to the original design. I used t-track rather than through slots to attach the fence to the top. I also discovered that 1/4" toilet bolts work quite well in the t-track. I also used t-track instead of cutting t-slots in the fence. I thought that would hold up better, especially since the fence is made from mdf. Plus, I had some t-track and I didn't have a t-slot router bit. I added wheels which make the thing a bit tall, but it is still a lot lower than the benchtop one I had. I still have to add the lower dust collection system. I am still waiting on some DC fittings I ordered to do that. I am using Norm's design but decided to go with 4" DC fittings rather that the 2" PVC fittings the plan called for. That keen router DC setup looks pretty cool too. I could probably just add that to what what I have planned.

ian maybury
01-06-2012, 9:29 AM
Nice job Larry. I'm just finishing off one too - but i can't claim it as containing any fancy cabinet work like yours. In my case it's a very functional Incra frame and table based model...

ian

Gregory King
01-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Built mine from the same plan. Dust collection is great because of the fact that the fence is adjustable and allows for good pick-up. No doubt, Norm resourced well when he made all of the changes from his first version. For me, I like the drawers below on the full extension guides. Holds a lot of other shop tools as well, saw blades etc. Greg

Larry Browning
01-06-2012, 2:13 PM
The plan calls for 18" long drawers and slides even though the cabinet is 24" deep. I already had 3 sets of 22" slides, so I used them. Dummy me didn't think to change the length of the drawers until I had already made the 2 shallow drawers. I made the deep drawer 22 to match the slide, but never rebuilt the 2 shallow ones. Those just extend out 4" past the end of the drawer. Oh well, I probably wont fill them up anyway, but wasted space bugs me.
Hey Greg, did you make any mods to the original plan?

Jerome Hanby
01-06-2012, 2:41 PM
The plan calls for 18" long drawers and slides even though the cabinet is 24" deep. I already had 3 sets of 22" slides, so I used them. Dummy me didn't think to change the length of the drawers until I had already made the 2 shallow drawers. I made the deep drawer 22 to match the slide, but never rebuilt the 2 shallow ones. Those just extend out 4" past the end of the drawer. Oh well, I probably wont fill them up anyway, but wasted space bugs me.
Hey Greg, did you make any mods to the original plan?

4" may be a bit of overkill, but being able to fully extend the drawers is something I like. You could tack on a little area, sort of like a not so secret, secret compartment onto the back of those drawers. Keep spare router bearings, collets, and other little doodads that seem to wander off back there.

Mike Wilkins
01-06-2012, 4:11 PM
Fine looking shop furniture. Should provide years of service.

Larry Browning
01-06-2012, 4:21 PM
4" may be a bit of overkill, but being able to fully extend the drawers is something I like. You could tack on a little area, sort of like a not so secret, secret compartment onto the back of those drawers. Keep spare router bearings, collets, and other little doodads that seem to wander off back there.

Thats a pretty good idea. I may give it a go!

Ralph Butts
01-06-2012, 4:55 PM
Nice cabinet Larry. I recently finished my version a few weeks ago. I went with a BD CI top and BD lift. I also just made two deep drawers rather than using the two shallow ones called for in the plan. Unfortunately I used the 2" DC fitting which has not worked out to my liking. This will be the next modification I under take as soon as I have some spare time. Otherwise I have been very pleased with the outcome. I am sure your project will serve you well for years to come.

Gregory King
01-06-2012, 6:39 PM
Larry, I made mine exactly to the size on the plan. I'm a fanatic for detail sometimes. Maybe I just wanted to see if all the measurements worked out right as planned. Trust me, they do. I made all of the drawers from MDO ply that I had on hand and rounded all of the lead edges. The smooth surface of that material cleans up well. Ordered all of the hardware from Rockler. My only concern when I built this was the weight . Would it be substantial enough not to slide across my shop floor? Plenty heavy, no movement when routing. I have pictures in a thread I started about Feb./2010, titled "Bragging Time" as well as the drill press I bought. Would post them here, just not quite sure how to move them. Greg

Gregory King
01-06-2012, 7:48 PM
Sorry Larry. Thought I better check that date. Good thing. It was posted on Feb.27/2011. Page 154. Not 2010. Memory went south after the second cold one I had tonite. Or was it the fourth? Cheers. Greg