PDA

View Full Version : rookie turner

David Starks
01-05-2012, 7:14 PM
Greetings everyone!

After getting infected by the turning bug (thanks Keller :cool:), not only have i joined the forum but today i bought my first lathe.

Ive been contemplating this for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger. I looked at used models found on craigslist but couldnt pull myself to buy used. Im getting a delta 46-460 from toolnut. Found out today from them Delta's price went up $60 on Jan 1. I guess tho the people at Delta are so great they are giving us last yrs price.

I plan on starting small w/ pens, pepper mills and the like but im sure at some point I'll start getting into bigger things. Having Doc on speed dial helps although he might have to find another source for wood (I own a tree service and he comes by and gets things time to time, plus i take him things. Or is that 'used to')

Now i sit and wait as there is quite the backorder on these. Ill start posting pics when I get it.

If anyone is looking for wood of some sort, let me know, I might just have some.

Allan Ferguson
01-05-2012, 7:24 PM
Welcome aboard. I walked the streets of Enid back in mid sixties.

Scott Hackler
01-05-2012, 7:27 PM
Welcome and we will overlook your choice in turning mentors! :)

David E Keller
01-05-2012, 7:43 PM
Welcome aboard. I walked the streets of Enid back in mid sixties.

I had no idea that prostitution was rampant here in the 60's!:eek::D Sorry, Allan, I couldn't resist.

Welcome, Starks! I would worry about the hollow threat of my wood source drying up, but you couldn't turn all that stuff in two lifetimes!:D Scott's right about your choice for learning turning, but we'll find a way to get you some real instruction when the time is right... First, you've got to get that second mortgage in order to get all the other stuff you need to support that lathe!:D

Eric Gourieux
01-05-2012, 8:16 PM
Welcome aboard. You'll learn alot here.

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2012, 8:18 PM
David - Welcome to the Creek! I look forward to seeing photos of your new lathe!

Paul Williams
01-05-2012, 8:24 PM
Welcome David. You bought a good lathe. I really like my 46-460. If Enid is where I think it is West of I35 and North of OK- city, I drive right by you guys on my way to see my brother in Davis, OK.

mike ash
01-05-2012, 8:24 PM
Welcome aboard David. When I noticed that you and the fine Doctor were from the same town (Enid)....I did a bit of research. Does the Doctor know that you are an arborist, and probably have access to some really ugly wood full of worm holes, knot holes and rotten spots?????

David Starks
01-05-2012, 8:56 PM
He does. I took out two oak trees in his front yard a couple years ago and thats how we became acquainted. He comes by my lot every now/then and gets stuff as well as me bringing him stuff (which i did today in fact :) ). Hes the guilty party for getting me into turning whether he admits it or not.

charlie knighton
01-05-2012, 8:56 PM
welcome to the creek

David Starks
01-05-2012, 8:57 PM
it is. we are 30 miles west of I35 on highway 412 (cimarron turnpike exit) or 2 hours straight west of tulsa.

George Morris
01-05-2012, 8:59 PM
David Congrats! The tool nuts are great people to deal with! Have fun!

Harry Robinette
01-05-2012, 8:59 PM
Welcome to the Creek you'll have a ball and learn allot.But you have to have a sorta thick skin nobody is left out of the constant joking and harassment. This is a great place to learn and have fun doing it.

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2012, 9:17 PM
Welcome aboard David. We will overlook the mentor part of this.:D

Dick Wilson
01-05-2012, 9:27 PM
David, Welcome to the SMC forum. I love to hear from newbies like you and watch your journey further into the vortex. Please post pictures of your work as you finish them. This a great place to receive critiques from a bunch of the most talented turners you will find anywhere. All you have to do is ask for an honest critique. Have a great learning experience. Dick

Dan Forman
01-06-2012, 3:43 AM
Welcome and hope your lathe arrives soon, it's a great one to start on, and sounds like you will have no shortage of wood. Unlike most of the rest of us, you won't have to include the cost of a chain saw in your tool budget either.

Dan

Donny Lawson
01-06-2012, 6:38 AM
Welcome David. There is alot of great useful information on here. Best forum on the net in my opinion. Everyone is just like family here and will help in any way we can to get you started off right.

John Keeton
01-06-2012, 7:35 AM
David, welcome to the creek!! Keller is a superb turner, and I suspect an equally skilled physician. However, I don't trust his motives!;) I strongly suspect he will try to convince you that you should turn only plain, non-figured wood, absent of voids and bark inclusions, and at all cost, avoid burls! Beware!!!:D You will know this to be true when he offers to take all of that "garbage" off your hands so you can turn the "good stuff"!

Tim Rinehart
01-06-2012, 8:50 AM
Welcome David, and it's good to see a new turner who has a mentor to get up to speed with and so forth. There's only so much watching videos and reading about turning can offer...the real lessons are in paying attention to other's techniques and seeing which works well for you.
I'm sure Doc will tell you there is no one way to do something, and many good ways exist, but just pay close attention to the things NOT to do to stay safe at the lathe. Even those with many years experience get complacent at times and at best, get lucky with something happening and not causing injury, but all too often it seems, we hear of something flying loose and smacking someone in the head and causing injury and worse.
Your choice of lathe is good in that it will give you plenty of speed control, and it's probably obvious, but work slow and at the speed you're comfortable. Sure, faster will give you smoother cuts, but when something comes loose at high speeds, the forces increase exponentially. Keep your tools sharp and have fun! And again, Welcome!

Rich Aldrich
01-06-2012, 1:04 PM
Welcome David, but if you are looking for sympathy for the bug, you wont get it here. We all have the bug and it sucks the money out of your wallet. Congrats on your new lathe.

Jim Burr
01-06-2012, 1:10 PM
Hey David!!! Welcome...and if I could turn like Keller, I'd be rich!!! What kind of wood do you have? I need bowl blanks by the bazillions!! Let's talk....and listen to doc...he's a pretty spiffy turner!

Scott Hackler
01-06-2012, 1:38 PM
Keller, I was thinking about this new addition to the turning family and you may have jinxed yourself for the really good blocks of wood! You are supposed to give the arborist a case of bear, not an idea about buying a lathe! :)

David E Keller
01-06-2012, 7:23 PM
I'm gonna get him a gallon of anchor seal... There'll be 10 times the amount of turntable wood with a little sealer around!

Scott Hackler
01-06-2012, 8:32 PM
I would try to find Anchorseal 1. I am not impressed at all with AS2.

sam upton
01-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Welcome David. You have a great mentor with David Keller, as well as your new Sawmill Creek family. You will be amazed just how these turners openly share their knowlege & opinions.
I too was running wild on the streets of Enid in the 60's. I graduated from Enid High in 1962, & still have mant family members there.