PDA

View Full Version : sliding log mill ((sled) for bandsaw

Hilel Salomon
01-05-2012, 1:28 PM
Some years ago, I bought such a sled at Woodcraft, but the company that made them wasn't very helpful and soon went out of business. I use mine in VA, but it sure could use some improvements. I see that Carter now makes such a sled and even makes a turning jig to make round blanks. Do any of you have experience with these? It seems to me that one could make a metal one (I've seen plans for wooden ones) without too much trouble and for substantially less than Carter is asking for its sled.

PS.... I almost had to learn the hard way about the dangers in cutting a round log on a bandsaw.

Hilel

Michael Menzli
01-05-2012, 1:48 PM
I too would love some suggestions...While I havnt hit any problems yet I could def. see an issue from time to time..especially cutting crotches. My cuts are no where near as good as can be..What size saw/motor are you using?

Pete Jordan
01-05-2012, 2:06 PM
My brother made this one for me and it works like a charm! Band saw resaw sled from Wood Magazine #176.

Roger Chandler
01-05-2012, 2:49 PM
Hilel,

I made one similar to the one that Pete posted above...........it works well with my Jet 18" saw, but roller stand supports on the outfeed end are important to use with it.

Not hard to build............I put lines in 1 inch increments on mine to give me a guide for cutting boards from a log, not just blanks.

Andrew Kertesz
01-05-2012, 3:53 PM
I saw a demo on the one from Carter at WC. While it was nice I also thought that it was overpriced and the length of the log was limited. The best thing about it was the ability to lock it in place and not have to worry about it twisting or turning on you while cutting.

Richard Jones
01-05-2012, 4:21 PM
I built the one like Pete has pictured. It gives me the option of screwing the log to the sled or not. Works great for breaking down logs for turning.

Rich

Tim Rinehart
01-05-2012, 4:23 PM
Pete, can you lock your logs into place to prevent twisting/turning with this sled?
Thanks!

Pete Jordan
01-05-2012, 4:56 PM
Pete, can you lock your logs into place to prevent twisting/turning with this sled?
Thanks!
Tim,

I just use screws and fender washers to hold the log in place and it works well.

Charles Bjorgen
01-05-2012, 4:56 PM
I bought the Carter LogMill before Christmas when they offered a 25 percent discount and free shipping on their bandsaw products. Yes, it is limited in the size log you can cut but I rarely would need to exceed that size which is 21 inches. Having said that I was close to making my own sled before I saw that offer and certainly think it possible to make your own. I'm glad I have the Carter sled though. It works very well for me on my Jet 14- inch saw.

Neil Longhenry
01-05-2012, 6:02 PM
I have the Carter sled along with the table attachment on my Jet 14" band saw. It works really great. As stated, the only drawback is you can only work with logs in the 20 - 23" Range. I would imagine that this was on account of the legal department not wanting people handling long heavy logs.

Nate Davey
01-05-2012, 6:06 PM
I built one like Pete's very handy