PDA

View Full Version : OT: 'Like' button and when do I donate

Tom Walz
01-05-2012, 11:57 AM
1. Could we have a way to recognize really great answers, please?

Some folks here look like they spend a lot of time and thought helping others. It would be nice if there was an easy way to thank them. Alan Schwabacher just gave a really great answer. I posted to that effect but it was sort off topic for the thread. If you could add a ‘like’ button or something similar that would be great.

2. I really like and appreciate this site. I am happy to contribute.
However I am never sure if I am current or not. Maybe you could have a renewal period every year for a couple weeks or a month. Maybe with gifts or prizes for donating something like NPR.

Anyway, thanks Keith.

Tom Walz

Dan Forman
01-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Like ...

Dan

Matt Meiser
01-05-2012, 12:46 PM
There's already functionality for that. On the right, just above the first post, "Rate this thread".

Jeff Monson
01-05-2012, 12:46 PM
However I am never sure if I am current or not. Maybe you could have a renewal period every year for a couple weeks or a month. Maybe with gifts or prizes for donating something like NPR.

Anyway, thanks Keith.

Tom Walz

Tom, I always get an email when my contribution date is up. Should be the same for everyone.

Tom Walz
01-05-2012, 1:32 PM
Matt,

I was thinking more of a way to rate an individual post.

Tom

Matt Meiser
01-05-2012, 2:36 PM
Ahh. A lot of IT forums have a way to mark the "best" response(s). Maybe vbulletin has an ad don for that?

Lee Schierer
01-05-2012, 9:56 PM
2. I really like and appreciate this site. I am happy to contribute. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Anyway, thanks Keith.

Tom Walz

You can contribute at any time and your contribution runs for one calendar year. Jackie will send you an email just before your anniversary date to remind you. There is also a way to check your renewal date, but I don't recall how to do it. It is well worth the $6 minimum for a years worth of knowledge base.

Van Huskey
01-05-2012, 10:05 PM

Some folks here look like they spend a lot of time and thought helping others. It would be nice if there was an easy way to thank them. Alan Schwabacher just gave a really great answer. I posted to that effect but it was sort off topic for the thread. If you could add a ‘like’ button or something similar that would be great.

Anyway, thanks Keith.

Tom Walz

If you weren't current you wouldn't show Friend of the Creek or Contributor, it would drop back to member, like mine will in a couple of days...

I also like the idea of being able to recognize good advice without disrupting the thread, I have seen a ton of different ways to implement it on different forums. You may want to post this over in Forum Tech support as well.

BTW Tom I always appreciate your input into threads your great info regarding tooling is invaluable.

Jerome Hanby
01-06-2012, 8:51 AM
You can contribute at any time and your contribution runs for one calendar year. Jackie will send you an email just before your anniversary date to remind you. There is also a way to check your renewal date, but I don't recall how to do it. It is well worth the $6 minimum for a years worth of knowledge base.

So, If my anniversary date is in March 2011, for example, and I donate again today (January 2012), will my next date be March 2013 or January 2013?

Thom Porterfield
01-06-2012, 2:06 PM
Ahh. A lot of IT forums have a way to mark the "best" response(s). Maybe vbulletin has an ad don for that?

vBulletin does indeed. I belong to several forums that implement vBulletin, and all but this one have a way to acknowledge a particularly good post.

It's something the admins have to switch on. They may not wish to, as in some cases, the result has been contentious.

Lee Schierer
01-06-2012, 9:31 PM
So, If my anniversary date is in March 2011, for example, and I donate again today (January 2012), will my next date be March 2013 or January 2013?

Only Jackie can answer that question.

Keith Outten
01-06-2012, 10:10 PM

Anyway, thanks Keith.

Tom Walz

Tom,

I will discuss the option you referred to with our Server Admin Aaron Koehl.

You can make a donation at any time, the time from your new donation is automatically added to the time in your account.

You can check the time in your account from your settings.

Thanks for the kind words about SawMill Creek, will all 60,000 Members please take a bow......