PDA

View Full Version : have a Lion Trimmer that I think I am going to sell

Harry Thornton
03-13-2005, 4:04 PM
Any idea what it is worth? Excellent condition but needs sharpening.

Alan Turner
03-14-2005, 9:26 AM
About a year ago I sold mine, then quite new, for $200. Don't know if this is of any help, but I sold it either on this board, or another, to a fellow in Texas.

Harry Thornton
03-14-2005, 4:58 PM
The one I have sells brand new for $250 so I doubt I will get $200. Then again, I saw one on ebay for $75 and it was gone in less than an hour. Somewhere between the two lies the value.

Marty Walsh
03-14-2005, 9:22 PM
Ok, I have to ask even if it just shows how much of a newbie I am...(I tried serching first)...

What is a LION TRIMMER?

- Marty -

John Miliunas
03-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Ok, I have to ask even if it just shows how much of a newbie I am...(I tried serching first)...

What is a LION TRIMMER?

- Marty -
Marty, do a "google" on: lion miter trimmer. :cool:

Marty Walsh
03-14-2005, 10:44 PM
John,

I just did and am slapping my forehead. First because I only searched on here, and second because I've actually tried one of those monsters.

Thanks...
- Marty -

Alan Turner
03-15-2005, 5:35 AM
Harry,
I know I paid retail for mine, and it was made by the US company that originally made them. My recollection of the price I paid was about $325 or so. I know it was not $250.

Harry Thornton
03-15-2005, 2:52 PM
Here is where I got my info and this is identical to the model I have. It says the manufacturer is Pootatuck...what a name.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/hand_tools/pootatuck/lion_miter_trimmer.htm?E+coastest

Jerry Palmer
03-15-2005, 2:56 PM
Here is where I got my info and this is identical to the model I have. It says the manufacturer is Pootatuck...what a name.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/hand_tools/pootatuck/lion_miter_trimmer.htm?E+coastest
Also says that it is backordered from the factory and no telling when it will be available. Sounds like one of them supply and demand issues where when the supply is short, price is high if demand stays constant. Might be good timing on your part.

Harry Thornton
03-15-2005, 3:52 PM
...whether I ever use it or not, I'm glad I grabbed it when I did. I got it from a guy that could not sell it in a garage sale and didn't really know what it was. I didn't either but it looked pretty cool and expensive.;)

Royce Meritt
03-15-2005, 4:01 PM
Several years ago I bought one at an auction (I already owned one). I'm pretty sure no one else at the auction even knew what it was. I paid, I believe, $30 for it. I turned around and sold it on eBay for something like $150. The fellow who bought it was quite happy with the price he paid for it.

Harry Thornton
03-15-2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks, Royce. I think I will sharpen this Lion Trimmer and sell it for something in that realm. I would really like to get a good mini or midi lathe and that would almost pay for it. I may even be able to swap for something nice.

Clay Craig
03-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Watching eBay might help you get an idea of value - they very rarely go under $150. I won't violate the linking policy, but if you go to the Bay and search for 6161818925 that might give you some help - that one's currently almost $200, and hasn't closed yet.

Good luck!
Clay

Tony Zaffuto
03-16-2005, 2:46 PM
I bought a new one from Amazon about a year or so ago for $239.00 including free shipping. This is the Pootatuck real McCoy modern American made model and not a Taiwan-ezey immitation.

I can't comment if it would be identical to the more vintage models.

Brent Smith
03-16-2005, 5:46 PM
I bought mine more than 10 years ago and have not used it very often.The thing is though that when I do use it(usually,odd angle moldings on small projects), I remember everytime why it's such a classic tool. You can't get those slivers any other way for the perfect miter! From what I understand, the company(Pootatuck) is out of buisness, but he's looking for a buyer.With the low cost of(inferior) imports ,it's unlikely we'll see the original made again.All this, just to say, maybe you might want to re-think selling your's.........it's a usful tool at the right time and possibly not to be had again.
Brent

Harry Thornton
03-17-2005, 2:34 PM
I am, indeed, rethinking the ultimate disposition of this rare and valuable ANTIQUE!;) That Jet mini lathe is turning into a variable speed unit and could possibly morf into a sliding compound mitre saw! The guy that gave it to me would throw-up if he knew how much it was worth. He has a lot of money and he wants to die with as much of it as possible.

This forum has paid off very handsomely for me. I found out about a Craftsman RAS rebate here and UPS just came and picked it up. Heck, I'm rich!

Brent Smith
03-17-2005, 2:41 PM
Harry,
What Craftsman RAS rebate are you talking about?
Brent

Harry Thornton
03-17-2005, 3:47 PM
Check out the details here. BTW, I meant "recall" not "rebate". In my case, I had an old Craftsman Radial 100, circa 197?. The motor was shot and I was looking for used replacements until somebody on this board told me about this. They have no anti-kickback "fix" for mine so they are giving me $100 to ship it back to them.

Sorry for straying into PT forum.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/