PDA

View Full Version : Assistance in moving woodworking machine to walin basement - Nashville, Tn

Douglas Snyder
01-05-2012, 8:11 AM
Hello All,

Does anyone know of a company that can assist me in moving serveral new woodworking machine from my garage to my walkin basement shop. Because there is a holding area adjacent to my property, the property slopes to the back and flaten out for only 12 feet and then slope more radically to the holding area.

Does anyone know a company in Nashville or Franklin, TN that will assist in the moving and setup of this equipment?

Thanks,

Doug

Brian Palmer
01-05-2012, 8:17 AM
Check with/for piano or safe companies alot of times they have specialty equipment for heavy moves like this.

HANK METZ
01-05-2012, 8:49 AM
My solution in the past was in-laws, beer, and a whip.

- Beachside Hank

Jim Matthews
01-05-2012, 8:51 AM
Brian beat me to it, I would check with piano movers first.

If you have a large jointer, it may require disassembly to make the turn into your basement.
Just remember, movers charge more if you help.

Jim Matthews
01-06-2012, 7:53 AM
My solution in the past was in-laws, beer, and a whip.- Beachside Hank

"If you're attending family reunions to pickup chix..." Jeff Foxworthy

Mike Konobeck
01-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Depends on how heavy and what equipment but rigging companies are typically better equipped to handle odd shaped and extremely heavy equipment. Rigging companies can be kind of expensive. I can't remember the exact rates but somewhere around $100/hr if I recall. Make sure you quiz a moving company to ensure they have actually moved heavy euipment and not just a couch if you go that route.

Managed to get the two halves of a very heavy combo machine down stairs pretty easily by investing some time and money into the design of a winch/rail system. Really only had 1 person help me get it down in my basement and it went smooth. Saved myself a lot of money.

fRED mCnEILL
01-06-2012, 7:45 PM
Look for a mover that move vending equpiment. They have to equipment to move 7-800 lb vending machines. Call the local vending supplier and ask them who they use.

Good luck

Fred

Lee Schierer
01-07-2012, 6:56 PM
You have both a Woodcraft and Rockler stores in the Nashville area. Give them a call and see who helps them move the equipment they sell.

Neil Brooks
01-07-2012, 7:15 PM
As always ... great ideas.

My 700# TS is sitting, in crates, in the garage, until we move. I'll be facing the same problem, and ... most of my friends ... are suddenly coming up with bad backs ;)

Duane Bledsoe
01-07-2012, 8:49 PM
As always ... great ideas.

My 700# TS is sitting, in crates, in the garage, until we move. I'll be facing the same problem, and ... most of my friends ... are suddenly coming up with bad backs ;)

Really, back aches?? That's so transparent. I would have gotten creative and claimed tendinitis or something.

I really do have tendinitis right now though, so not much creating was necessary to come up with that one.:p

Karl Card
01-07-2012, 9:24 PM
I had to get my 800+ lb table saw down the steps to the basement. I used runners that were attached to the steps and a come along. Worked great, noone got hurt and no close calls. If I had to do it again I would invest the money in a type of winch instead of the come along.